'69 40 Electrical Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '69 40. I have had some ongoing electrical issues for a while, specifically a recurring blown fuse for the turn signals and voltage regulator. Went to drive it the other day and had no wipers, heater, gauges, headlights, or taillights. I checked the fuses and one fuse was blown. I replaced it and the headlights and taillights now work, but the other stuff was still out. Is this most likely a ground issue?

Thanks.

those old fuse boxes corrode and need cleaned from time to time ,sometimes you have to bend the fuse clips tighter to get a good connection if that fails then you have other issues to fix good luck

This is where I'm at, pulled the the fuse box off yesterday and started cleaning it up. Just wanted to to verify that I'm on the right track and that that could cause the problems I'm having. Thanks Shelfboy.

People tell me to use the original wiring harness from 1962, this is why I chose to buy and modify a modern one with modern wires and a modern fuse box. Electrical gremlins could be a nightmare, 44 year old electrical wire could be worn or cracked and shorting anywhere. It is usually a short that blows fuses. Check the wires anywhere they go through the body or could be rubbing on something metal.

Went through the same issues on my '70. Corroded fuse box will cause electrical components to not operate at all (i.e. no voltage/current to them). I cleaned mine up with a wire brush and various lights magically started operating when they did not before (I also used dielectric grease at the fuse to box connections). I also ran into a reoccurring blown fuse. Turns out I had a short near the ignition switch. Since your lights were working, I am thinking a short as discussed above. With that said, however, rule out the ground issues by cleaning between the body to light connection (lights ground back thru the body) and using dielectric grease. Some people run a ground wire directly to the light from a good ground location (i.e. on or near the battery). Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom