68 fj40 starter issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced starter and now when starting it grinds as if not lining up properly. I've been told by non cruiser folks it needs shims, although it didn't have them on the old starter. I thought it'd be best to get feedback from y'all. Thanks!

I suppose the suggestion of shims implies that the thrust cog is pushing in too far,and the starter needs to be spaced back a bit?
I have never heard of this happening, but I am no mechanic. Maybe your ring gear is getting badly worn.

Perhaps the shanks on the starter bolts are worn causing misalignment of the starter?

Assuming we're talking about a stock F engine here, I've never heard of this happening. Furthermore, if your starter's position is adjustable, something is wrong. Both the mounting hardware and locator hole in the bell housing assure proper placement.

Assuming we're talking about a stock F engine here, I've never heard of this happening. Furthermore, if your starter's position is adjustable, something is wrong. Both the mounting hardware and locator hole in the bell housing assure proper placement.
Yes, stock f. Previous starter was having problems (often would take multiple key turn to start) replaced a few days back and now this new issue that I never had with the old one. Any other ideas?

Yes, stock f. Previous starter was having problems (often would take multiple key turn to start) replaced a few days back and now this new issue that I never had with the old one. Any other ideas?

Take it back to the store and ask to compare it to your old one to make sure the bendix is the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom