66' R2.8 1BADRESTO (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sheck44

GOLD Star
Threads
Ok ... here we go again, but this time more emphasis on Resto

NO rust 1966 FJ40 from Alaska

PLan;
Very traditional exterior, awesome drivetrain, and bad A!! interior
Colour - Toyota Calvary blue, traditional white hard top, white front grill/bezel and powder coated custom 16" white smoothie wheels with 33's
OME 2" suspension with Fox shocks (again)
Crate Cummins R2.8 Diesel engine, GM NV4500 5 speed tranny, Toyota split case
and lots of cool crap

so far ....
Stripped down to bare steel and epoxied

IMG_0354 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

IMG_0391 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

ALL holes are getting filled in

IMG_0352 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 9.59.04 AM by Steve Heck, on Flickr

looking forward to seeing this progress, seriously considering this 2.8 cummings for my 84 bj42 resto.

AA GM bell housing/kit, then unfortunately some expensive pieces from Axis industries

Cheers
Steve

Reactions: SMG
Also interested in seeing you adapter setup for this combo, im on the fence between an R2.8 or a 4BT swap with an NV4500 behind it in the future

Beautiful work so far, looking forward to following this build.

How far back does the motor / trans and adapters put your transfer case?
Niagara Ontario here, thinking of a 2.8 swap down the road also.

Dont know quite yet but we will by early next month.

Guys I'll do my best to take lots of pictures and gather lots of details as I know a LOT of people are looking at this engine. Actually I've been exchanging emails with Tor over at TorBuilt and he's been fooling around with tuning this little beast of an engine and right now he claims he's putting down over 400 torque AT the rear wheels... thats seriously impressive

Stay tuned, If it can be done I'll find a way to do it LOL

Cheers
Steve

YES please Ryley ! I was searching high and low for one
PM'd you
Thanks
Steve

Also interested in seeing you adapter setup for this combo, im on the fence between an R2.8 or a 4BT swap with an NV4500 behind it in the future

Beautiful work so far, looking forward to following this build.

The 4BT is about 300 lbs more...not as smooth and quiet as the R2.8. But if you want a cheaper mechanical injection motor than its a choice.

BIG thanks to Riley who took the time to cut out the gas filler panel and ship it to me for my Aux Tank

Thank you !!
Steve

Ok ... update on ECU / fuel systems
I've been working with Tor at Torfab and Derek over at Arnold performance and here is where we are at ...
ECU on its way to to Arnold Performance, looks like with the proper tune from Derek, a Walbro low pressure lift pump, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust, proper sized intercooler and the aero turbine muffler we are looking at like 450 foot lbs of torque out of this R2.8

SWEEET !!

Steve

OK .. so we are moving ahead with the body, mocking up all the body panels and roof.

Again, BIG thanks to Riley for providing me with the correct filler panel pictured here below for the Aux tank. We were able to position it in at the same height as the front so it will look completely OE. This should be interesting with the 2 tank setup for the Diesel R2.8, we may be looking at getting 600 miles out of the dual setup. we'll see ..

Also, so people dont 'freak out', this is a completely original 66' and I WILL keep it that way visually on the exterior as even I believe that this is the proper way to build this truck. All body panels, glass etc. will remain original, everything else will be brand new.

Also, NEW custom wheels are finally on the way and I cant wait to show you guys. I worked with the guys at the Wheelsmith in California to build me a set of 16x8's with OEM hubcaps and I think they will be great !

IMG_0675 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

IMG_0676 by Steve Heck, on Flickr

I'm underway on almost the exact same build for a customer, I'm going to get a thread going one of these days. Are you aware that there's a direct R2.8 to NV4500 bellhousing available from Quickdraw?

2.8 R to NV4500 ADAPTER KIT WITH MODIFIED FACTORY FLYWHEEL (Fits CUMMINS 2.8 ) | QuickDrawBrand.com

I just got all my parts in last week, picking up the transmission tomorrow and then the fitting begins.

IMG_20181126_152334.jpg

Oh crap !! That would have been nice, im already in deep with Axis and Advance Adapters ... too late for me but for others this will make it less expensive and cleaner !

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom