62 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have come into a 1962 FJ40. She is missing a few parts.

Like the Engine, Transmission, transfercase, both drive shafts and transmission cover plate. And that is only what I can tell from looking over a fence. THe good news is it looks like it has spent most of its time out here in CA and I can't see anything but surface rust and the other good part is it is free. I had a 62 CJ in High school but I have not done much with the FJ40s.

I am looking to put together a good hunting rig. She does not have to look like much just be dependable.

What engine, transmision and transfer case would be the best for my application. I was thinking of a Chevy 350 for the Motor (I am open to other suggestions) but I have no idea about what tranmission or transfer case to use. My friends and I can make what ever brackets and/or monts that we mau need but I would like to keep it as simple and staight forword as possible.

Thanks for you help.

the 62 should have a centered rear diff....a "easy" swap would be the entire Chev drivetrain...350, SM465 granny, NP205 t-case....but it's a heavy setup. I'd also consider a 4.3 V6 install, either manual or auto, and it's attached t-case.

How complete is it? the 62 is a pretty rare bird, and if it's in decent shape, worthy of a restoration, or at least "rennovation" to something near-stock.

No seats, carpet, roll bar (not sure it would have had one),top or doors. It does have the gauge cluster and sterring wheel. I am not sure what it should have. I think it would be to much work to put her back it stock form. I am just thinking about a hunting and work setup for around my property in the Mountains

If I go with the V6, which I was thinking about would I need to use the same transmission and transfer case as you suggested?

62 would not have a stock cage, it would have a corrugated hardtop..and yeah, if it's bastardized that far, probably too much work to stock it.

Find a late 70's Chev blazer/pickup and drop in the motor/trans/case and call it good.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=10014;start=msg89019#msg89019 date=1073931569]
62 would not have a stock cage, it would have a corrugated hardtop..and yeah, if it's bastardized that far, probably too much work to stock it.

Find a late 70's Chev blazer/pickup and drop in the motor/trans/case and call it good.
[/quote]

or a soft top with drop gate. Does it have the stamped bezel? says Land Cruiser on it.

man, pimp don't play around. :D :D :D

i mean really beat around the bush some more.

haha,
jonathan

I've got a 61 40, I guess I'm "rennovating" it, got rid of the 307 in favor of an fj60 2f, '76 fj55 4spd and rear end, '80 40 power steering, pretty much bolts right up....so are the door openings rounded like an early CJ, making it a factory soft top?

thats a great upgrade renovation ya got going on, just what an early 40 needs and it stays Toyota :)

[quote author=rotorhed link=board=1;threadid=10014;start=msg89376#msg89376 date=1073967341]
I've got a 61 40, I guess I'm "rennovating" it, got rid of the 307 in favor of an fj60 2f, '76 fj55 4spd and rear end, '80 40 power steering, pretty much bolts right up....so are the door openings rounded like an early CJ, making it a factory soft top?
[/quote]

IMO a good swap would be later model fj40 axles front and rear, 4 speed tranny, and split t-case. The motor is your call. Go 2F if you like Toyota or go SBC. It would be dependable and easy to do.

For front end, you can find a '76 or later for stock disc brakes, or go '68 and later with mini disc brake swap. The split t-case ('79 and later) won't have an e-brake if you care, but earlier t-cases will. You could source a '81 (IIRC) rearend to get e-brake at the wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom