60 Series factory Ice Maker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

plink01

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I've got some questions about the factory Ice Maker.

I know they were never an option in the USA so there isn't much info on them out there.

I have an Aus HJ61 with the factory Ice Maker.

20230410_203802.jpg

I have replaced with brand new the AC compressor, condenser, drier and evaporator.

I just got the aircon re gassed and it works great. The front aircon, rear aircon and Ice Maker all work.

But it doesn't get cold enough to freeze the ice cubes! It makes my beers super cold after running for an hour though.

Ive driven 2 hours with it running non stop and the ice cubes don't freeze. Maybe if I drive 3 or 4 hours it might work?? Seems pretty pointless though!

I have the genuine ice trays and bottom tray. The only thing I'm missing is the oem slide door that keeps the trays in place. I'm just using a piece of cardboard with a plastic type film on it at the moment.

20221125_182909.jpg

20230310_165733.jpg

I have never seen what the door actually looks like in real life, it seems to be the rarest part. But I doubt that's what's stopping them from freezing.

Also does anyone's ice/cool switch lights work??

20230410_163542.jpg

I started pulling mine apart today and it has two lights in it, but I'm too scared to try and get them out as it's pretty brittle and if it breaks I'll never find a new one!

It's strange both lights don't work, I doubt they have been illuminated so much they both have blown! But it's possible and would be the easiest fix.

If anyone has any experience with the icebox and has actually made ice cubes please let me know how you did it!

Thanks!

Haha I want the ice for the rum! I love the idea of getting to camp and chucking in some ice cubes that my car made into my rum and coke.

And I want it to work for the novelty of it. It blows my mind that toyota put these things in as an option and cos it's pretty rare I'd love it to work.

The only time I've tested it properly was on a pretty bumpy road the first hour and the second hour was 4 wheel driving. Maybe on a flat highway for a few hours it might be able to freeze it.

I agree, be grateful you have cold beer when you get to camp! I never knew the 60 came with the console fridge. I thought it started with the 80 series

Nice setup!

This reminds me of the cigarette lighter in my mid 70s Alfa Romeo Spyder in high school. The design was a fixed vertical metal shaft, with the heating element at the base of the shaft. There was a bakelite ring around the shaft, that when you pushed it down, it activated the heating element. The idea was, drop the cigarette in the shaft, push the ring down, and wait until you smelled tobacco smoke to pull out the cigarette and smoke it. The wiring/copper circuit was weak and failed. I never smoked, and never went out with girls that did. But making that lighter work was critical, just for the principal of it. No, it wasn't just solder it and call it a day. Its been 40 years, and I can't remember the gyrations I went thru, but it worked in the end.

This reminds me of the cigarette lighter in my mid 70s Alfa Romeo Spyder in high school. The design was a fixed vertical metal shaft, with the heating element at the base of the shaft. There was a bakelite ring around the shaft, that when you pushed it down, it activated the heating element. The idea was, drop the cigarette in the shaft, push the ring down, and wait until you smelled tobacco smoke to pull out the cigarette and smoke it. The wiring/copper circuit was weak and failed. I never smoked, and never went out with girls that did. But making that lighter work was critical, just for the principal of it. No, it wasn't just solder it and call it a day. Its been 40 years, and I can't remember the gyrations I went thru, but it worked in the end.
it was for the blunts you were firing up, wasn't it? :hillbilly: :flipoff2:

Never knew that was an option. I sure like my fridge in the 200 during summer trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom