60 roof racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tradesman Rack cut down for RTT. Steel 3/4" tube but I found their feet over the gutter needed continuous attention to keep
tightened down. I really like the rack so haven't sold it, just got to build better feet! Nive thing about the Tradesman Rack is the feet inside the
gutter are all attached with a full length strip so it never shifts and again even with funny feet it still was secure.
P1010858.JPG

Went back to Thule cross bars. I got a set of lower legs with 49" cross bars. Absolutely love these, they stay tight, don't get ripped off in
the high willows - indestructible and really nice aero. I get no mileage penalty for either of these with this RTT.
P1030237.JPG

It was just a CB, its been removed since ive taken the picture. I wish i had my license for HAM radios, its on the list!
well i had to take the cert class for a project my son was doing in Engineering club when he was in HS, i literally downloaded the "note cards" study guide, read through the sample questions once, went in and took the test and passed the first time...my son was pissed, he failed it the first time but they let him re-take it right there and he passed. its not hard...just burns a Saturday morning.....

Tradesman Rack cut down for RTT. Steel 3/4" tube but I found their feet over the gutter needed continuous attention to keep
tightened down. I really like the rack so haven't sold it, just got to build better feet! Nive thing about the Tradesman Rack is the feet inside the
gutter are all attached with a full length strip so it never shifts and again even with funny feet it still was secure. View attachment 2906719

Went back to Thule cross bars. I got a set of lower legs with 49" cross bars. Absolutely love these, they stay tight, don't get ripped off in
the high willows - indestructible and really nice aero. I get no mileage penalty for either of these with this RTT.
View attachment 2906720
nice rig man.....and looks like you made the pilgrimage ive been gearing up for in my 100.....did you travel the dempster or stay in Tuk? what was your route and how long did it take you? Solo? or with another overlander?

nice rig man.....and looks like you made the pilgrimage ive been gearing up for in my 100.....did you travel the dempster or stay in Tuk? what was your route and how long did it take you? Solo? or with another overlander?
Always solo. Done it many times, usually weeks at a time. Never rush

Always solo. Done it many times, usually weeks at a time. Never rush
yeah i had planned a week up and a week-10 days back, then covid hit and shut down everything.......so may try to coordinate something next year......its about 4,000 mile for me (each way)

I have an african outback full length roof rack that I got from Slee Offroad several years ago (Teaser: African Outback Rack on Fj60 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/teaser-african-outback-rack-on-fj60.139171/). Slee doesn't sell them anymore but I see the racks come up for sale used from time to time. The one I have was actually sold by Slee for the 80 series, but it fits the 60 series too and comes with a sunroof hatch...

It is aluminum constructions and the slats have T-slots so accessories can be easily mounted. The short rail can be removed to leave a flat profile rack.

1643297902581.png

Mine is a FrontRunner for an 80 series that I purchased from Paul @Equipt. It has served us very well survived much abuse. Has M8 T slots which makes bolting things down easier and it's plenty strong enough to walk around on. Far as I know Paul doesn't sell FrontRunner anymore, but he sells the Eezy Awn version which has the bars running front/back and has a model specific to the 60. I've seen this rack on other vehicles and have been quite impressed, definitely worth consideration. If I didn't have the FrontRunner though, I might be taking a good hard look at that BowfinCruiser rack, that thing looks really slick!

1643298871077.png

Last edited:
I have an african outback full length roof rack that I got from Slee Offroad several years ago (Teaser: African Outback Rack on Fj60 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/teaser-african-outback-rack-on-fj60.139171/). Slee doesn't sell them anymore but I see the racks come up for sale used from time to time. The one I have was actually sold by Slee for the 80 series, but it fits the 60 series too and comes with a sunroof hatch...

It is aluminum constructions and the slats have T-slots so accessories can be easily mounted. The short rail can be removed to leave a flat profile rack.

View attachment 2906824
nice rig, i like the lo profile look too so would prob go without the extension....ive got tons of yakima stuff from when i had my 80 so might just try and piece together a low tower setup until i can find a good platform style like this!

man you guys are killing me with all of your awesome rigs!! im not sure i can wait two weeks for mine! thank you all for your sharing/input...certainly is inspiring!! now i just need to find some $$$$$

i guess you missed the part of my post where i said i had an 80, and still have a 100 LAND CRUISER.......lol....
yes im excited to get a 60, i spent 4 years in college driving my frat brothers 40, i had an 87 4 runner at the time......the 40 was a handful with a ton of slop in the steering but a fun rig no doubt...... ive been driving real landcruisers for the better part of 35 years.......before it was "cool"
you guessed wrong, i caught it. according to my criteria of real, the 60 series is the last real truck offered by toyota to the NA market, solid front axle, check. leaf springs front n rear, check. only mechanical linkage between your hand n the transfer case, no vacum, no electrical actuators, check. hence my comment of .....real LC

you guessed wrong, i caught it. according to my criteria of real, the 60 series is the last real truck offered by toyota to the NA market, solid front axle, check. leaf springs front n rear, check. only mechanical linkage between your hand n the transfer case, no vacum, no electrical actuators, check. hence my comment of .....real LC
i agree with you on the 60, its a badass rig......my 80 was also, and my 100's are too but from the perspective of simplicity the 60 cant be beat.....thats the thing i hate about the 200 and 300, they have been sissified to a degree and too many gadgets/components/ actuators and relays that can go wrong on the trail......and as Don pedro said...the 60 is EMP proof!! (one reason im getting mine) I will at least have one rig thats capable and ready if TSHTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom