60 roof racks (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
getting a 60 in a few weeks, need some ideas on roof racks, show me what you're running?

687E740E-2673-4222-8AD8-E3FF4B68E7A3.jpeg

love my arb aluminum. not sure how it’d work for roof top tents but for hauling canoes ad other gear it’s been awesome and i like the look too

View attachment 2906327

love my arb aluminum. not sure how it’d work for roof top tents but for hauling canoes ad other gear it’s been awesome and i like the look too
badass rig!! no RTT for me...to much valuable space up top!! i prefer sleeping on platform/on top built in drawers. or the ground in a regular tent....but thats just my opinion.....nice rig though!! this will bring my collection to 5 cruisers......

sweet you’ll have to show us some pics of your stable! what year 60 are you waiting for?
'85 and will be my first 60 ever....ive had 80, now mave three hundies (99lc, 2000lx, 2002lx) and a 2008 FJ. Im stoked!!

you need a 40 then!!
right! need to get two more kids through college first! but the plan is to get another 80, then find a great 40 for a build

I'm wondering what the weight savings is between the steel and aluminum model... other than dimensions can't find any spec info on the ARB website.

I had the full length ARB steel rack (but it got stolen 20 years later). I think my rack (I was told) weighed 76 lbs empty.
When I was younger and stronger, I could lift it up over my head and walk it up to the cruiser and mount it myself. I had done that several times with it. But now (older and not as studly) I wouldn’t be able to just heave it up there like I did in the past. I’d have to use a pulley system suspending it from above or something to mount it.

The ARB steel rack rusts (of course). Not when brand new when the paint is in good shape, but the rack is made of square tube and the corners take a beating it you’re using it like it should be used.
I had to have my rack get completely repainted maybe 5-6 years after I purchased it when living down near the beach. Getting too rusty.

You will definitely feel the weight (76-80 lbs) of the rack on the roof every time you turn the steering wheel. Cruiser definitely sways a lot more.
Add a 3/8” or 1/2” plywood floor and it gets even heavier. Start loading it with gear and it gets heavier.
I carried several hundred lbs of gear on it on several trips fully loaded in Mexico on untold hundreds of miles of dirt roads and it held up like a champ.

I would have much rather have had the aluminum rack than the steel rack for the weight savings and rust abatement but it was a lot more expensive.

After my ARB rack got stolen, I purchased a Garvin expedition rack (from SOR). It’s a much lighter weight rack though still steel and is bolted together in three pieces. When taken apart it literally can be stored in a closet and each segment is easy to carry.
It’s definitely not as bomber strong as the ARB for sure, but the ARB rack is over built and too strong.
The Garvin rack worked fine for me down in Mexico off road and loaded to the gills no problem with it. I had a 3/8” plywood floor on it and the mid bars definitely swayed down when walking on it (unlike the ARB). So I stepped on the sides - and no problems.

If I were to buy a roof rack for an FJ60 right now and price wasn’t part of the equation, I’d still buy another Garvin rack even though it’s much cheaper because it’s so much lighter, is strong enough, is super easy to mount on the roof, and is very easy to store in smaller pieces.

i bought the aluminum for the simple reason i’m tired of chasing rust. i don’t notice the weight with turning just makes more noise in the wind. it was the only one that was easily available in canada as well that i liked. cross border shipping if anything. else would have made them equivalent in price!!

I have the ARB sled type rack. Its pretty heavy, I use my FJ60 as a daily and took it off for while im college to squeeze every MPG I can get out of my rig lol
I see your in DFW, you should come to the LSLC meet TX- Lone Star Land Cruisers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/tx-lone-star-land-cruisers.35/

View attachment 2906378View attachment 2906379
nice rig!! is one of those antennae a HAM? im KI5ATP and yes im in the DFW area, would love to try and make the March event, by then i should have my 60 dialed in but i may bring my lc100 since its all setup for camping...but who knows, i may have my son drive the 100 and i drive the 60 ! Thanks for the link, also i might try and make the next club meeting (especially if its in Allen again) thats 15 minutes away...

what, for finally getting a real LAND CRUISER? :flipoff2: :hillbilly:
i guess you missed the part of my post where i said i had an 80, and still have a 100 LAND CRUISER.......lol....
yes im excited to get a 60, i spent 4 years in college driving my frat brothers 40, i had an 87 4 runner at the time......the 40 was a handful with a ton of slop in the steering but a fun rig no doubt...... ive been driving real landcruisers for the better part of 35 years.......before it was "cool"

nice rig!! is one of those antennae a HAM? im KI5ATP and yes im in the DFW area, would love to try and make the March event, by then i should have my 60 dialed in but i may bring my lc100 since its all setup for camping...but who knows, i may have my son drive the 100 and i drive the 60 ! Thanks for the link, also i might try and make the next club meeting (especially if its in Allen again) thats 15 minutes away...
It was just a CB, its been removed since ive taken the picture. I wish i had my license for HAM radios, its on the list!

hvnt seen it yet...and it hasnt hit my roof yet...but im sure hopin the Bowfin Rack i purchased months ago from @dogfishlake is gnna be as awesome as I hope :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

pic from Bowfincruiser!

1643273141797.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom