5th Gen Brake Upgrade Warning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heads up! If anyone is planning to do the 5th gen brake upgrade be sure NOT to get 2016 calilpers with a 14WB casting. You need the 14WA casting. They changed the caliper bolt size from 12mm to 14mm. I found some fresh 2016 calipers at a salvage yard and attempted to install them last night only to find this out.

Random pic I found of the different bolts:

b785b8e6f398cfde16c2710c4fabbae6.jpg

Thx for this. Can you please share some links or details behind this brake upgrade? It's something I'm interested in, want to know my options.

Thx for this. Can you please share some links or details behind this brake upgrade? It's something I'm interested in, want to know my options.

You can put 5th gen 4runner/GX460 front calipers and rotors on that net a larger piston diameter and a much thicker brake rotor to combat heat (which is a huge benefit). Supposedly the 5th gen calipers are less prone to seize a piston as well, but I do not believe there is any hard proof on that. The 4runner guys do the rear calipers too but the rotors do not fit and the research I did shows the GX470 has the same rear caliper as the 5th gens (by part number) so only the fronts are needed.

I have done the 5th gen 4runner/gx460 upgrade. I would say it's an improvement but not a major upgrade. I did the upgrade since I needed new brakes. I'm happy with the results.

Went with upgraded front calipers and rotors. The rear calipers have the same Centric part numbers so didn't upgrade.

Whats the approximate cost in this? I have an 06 that might need brakes in the next 10K miles or so.

I spent $459 (including shipping and also getting a refund for the caliper cores). I went with these parts (price doesn't include the end links in my screenshot). So rebuilt front calipers, front rotors, front pads, rear rotors, rear pads.

Capture.PNG

thanks TJ, that's not a bad price if the upgrade is value added.

Hi TJ,

Have your calipers discolored at all? Mine were bright silver until I took the truck through a carwash and now both front calipers have lightn surface rust, enough to color them a yellowish/red. I am afraid I'm going to have to pull them both off and get all the rust off, then paint them :(

Yes they do rust. I knew that ahead of time forgot to mention that but I believe these Centric calipers don't have a coating on them. Some do and some don't. I used the G2 caliper paint prior to install.

ah crap lol!! I guess I need to invest in some G2 caliper paint as well.

they looked great before they got wet. I was bummed out when they came home with a coating of surface rust :(

I will add another warning and that is be careful with your reman calipers. I usually source low mileage factory take off parts so I can be sure I am getting quality. I decided to try some reman calipers on my other truck as it was easier to procure, but got hosed. I could not get a good brake pedal and while a friend was helping me re-bleed I discovered the brake caliper was separating at the case half seam and leaking a tiny bit of brake fluid down the length of the seam. Both calipers did it too, the bolts were tight. I am guessing a lesser quality hardware set was used and the bolts were stretching under the force.

I will add another warning and that is be careful with your reman calipers. I usually source low mileage factory take off parts so I can be sure I am getting quality. I decided to try some reman calipers on my other truck as it was easier to procure, but got hosed. I could not get a good brake pedal and while a friend was helping me re-bleed I discovered the brake caliper was separating at the case half seam and leaking a tiny bit of brake fluid down the length of the seam. Both calipers did it too, the bolts were tight. I am guessing a lesser quality hardware set was used and the bolts were stretching under the force.

What brand reman caliper?

I cannot find any 14wb brake calipers anywhere. any idea where i can find some or something that matches up with them? thanks in advance

pm sent, I have a pair sitting around.

bump - based on the above discussion, would replacing the fronts with a slotted/drilled rotor and better/best quality pads be about as good as doing the 5th gen upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom