5th Gen 4Runner to 200 series L.C. thoughts? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still own my 2015 4Runner which is now heavily modified.. stepped into a 2020 LC200 a few months ago. The comparison is unfair tbh.. The Cruiser beats the 4Runner, by a mile, in highway, driving smoothness, and interior space. No doubt both are solidly built, but the LC feels like it's milled from a single chunk of metal.

Off-road is where the 4Runner can still outshine the LC (only in very specific scenarios).. diff lock, clearance, weight advantage, and smaller size gives the 4Runner an advantage on the more technical terrain.. The LC is super smooth on road imperfections/ washboard roads, and pulls better in medium- deep sand (8 speed 5.7 combo has power to spare vs the 5 speed v6).

I've pushed my 4Runner to it's limits many times. I've yet to discover how far I can push the 200.. time will tell.

No. The Land Cruiser is dead in the US. Last MY will be 20201.
Has there been official news released in the last week or so?

I have a 2019 4Runner ORP that I really like, but I can't say I'm not tempted to get a LC HE because Toyota is discontinuing them.

Still own my 2015 4Runner which is now heavily modified.. stepped into a 2020 LC200 a few months ago. The comparison is unfair tbh.. The Cruiser beats the 4Runner, by a mile, in highway, driving smoothness, and interior space. No doubt both are solidly built, but the LC feels like it's milled from a single chunk of metal.

Off-road is where the 4Runner can still outshine the LC (only in very specific scenarios).. diff lock, clearance, weight advantage, and smaller size gives the 4Runner an advantage on the more technical terrain.. The LC is super smooth on road imperfections/ washboard roads, and pulls better in medium- deep sand (8 speed 5.7 combo has power to spare vs the 5 speed v6).

I've pushed my 4Runner to it's limits many times. I've yet to discover how far I can push the 200.. time will tell.
I had 2017 4Runner and now a 2013 LX,. I agree with you 100% The 4Runner was great off road, though the LX is no slouch. I just couldn't stand the 4Runner's engine/trans combo. It was terrible on road. The transmission was constantly hunting for gears on hilly/mountain roads here in Colorado, very annoying. I really loved the rear window though and seats were very comfortable.

I actually liked my 4Runners , I had a 3 of the 5th generation , one got totaled in a accident , it took a good hit and I thought it held up well in a major accident . My last was a 2018 I traded on one of my land cruisers .
I liked the 4.0 motor is a very dependable plate form , wish it had the spin on upper filter like the Tacomas had .
I liked the manual 4x4 selector and locking axle .
Simple heater controls and my favorite option rear hatch window went down was awesome .
I do agree the 4runner is a light weight but a solid entry level 4x4.
They are still made in Japan , the quality is still there .
I am considering picking up another as a daily driver .
I can’t really hate on the 4Runner .

I actually liked my 4Runners , I had a 3 of the 5th generation , one got totaled in a accident , it took a good hit and I thought it held up well in a major accident . My last was a 2018 I traded on one of my land cruisers .
I liked the 4.0 motor is a very dependable plate form , wish it had the spin on upper filter like the Tacomas had .
I liked the manual 4x4 selector and locking axle .
Simple heater controls and my favorite option rear hatch window went down was awesome .
I do agree the 4runner is a light weight but a solid entry level 4x4.
They are still made in Japan , the quality is still there .
I am considering picking up another as a daily driver .
I can’t really hate on the 4Runner .
I def. don't hate om it. I agree, loved the simple HVAC control and manual 4wd selector. I just couldn't take the 5spd constantly hunting for gears on any hilly road, which in Colorado is all of them. Plus, not that you buy either for fuel economy but my LX barely gets worse mileage than a 4Runner.

It was def. a solid truck but it needs more power and a 6-8 spd trans.

It had more power in the 4th gen with a big ol V8 and 5-spd, no different than what was found on the 100-series. That was a great drivetrain in a mid-size ute, that was surprisingly quick on its feet. Not enough people that "voted" for it like I did, hence its demise.

Miss the truck as it was a great vehicle. It was also much smaller than its outside dimensions would suggest with not much more serviceable room than a Honda Accord we had. Not looking back as I have a family now that needs the room and a car that completely outclasses it.

I am pretty sure Toyota's thinking is if you want a V8/more power and a 6 spd then go buy a GX. Good news is used GXs are still relatively inexpensive (compared to the used 4Runner market) and more and more off road parts are being built for it. I am sure inside 5-10 years the used GX market will be as nuts at the used 4Runner market.

I own a '12 4R, '13 LC, and '19 4R. The '19 is heavily modified and used heavily offroad with even more plans for an extreme build in very near future. It's already something I do a lot of rock crawling and trails with here on east coast. I love both my '19 and my '13 for vastly different reasons. I plan to use both for different reasons. My '13 has simple bolt on upgrades; suspension, skids, sliders, and will be our main camping, towing, and recovery vehicle while the '19 will be our trail rig. The '12 is my wife's DD and is also mildly modified. We also have a '21 LC in the family.

Is the V6 weaker than the LC V8 of course. The '19 has a whipple SC on it and I love driving it just like I do the LC. I swap driving the '19 and '13 about every 2 weeks.

It had more power in the 4th gen with a big ol V8 and 5-spd, no different than what was found on the 100-series. That was a great drivetrain in a mid-size ute, that was surprisingly quick on its feet. Not enough people that "voted" for it like I did, hence its demise.

Miss the truck as it was a great vehicle. It was also much smaller than its outside dimensions would suggest with not much more serviceable room than a Honda Accord we had. Not looking back as I have a family now that needs the room and a car that completely outclasses it.
The V8 was killed courtesy of big government of CAFE. Period. I still have mine and LOVE it. 2UZ is a sweetheart of an engine.

I will go out on a limb here but mile for mile the 2UZ had less high mileage user issues than the 3UR. The 2UZ rarely leaked oil that required invasive maintenance (valve covers only), starters were bomb proof after 2004, and the pre-VVTi V8 is the smoothest revving engine I have ever experienced.
It has leaking exhaust manifolds, again pre 2004, and a timing belt which some people scoff at but it was an uncompromisingly designed high torque, low revving, super inefficient V8 which is pretty rare now adays.

Id venture to say the 2UZ is the most reliable and bomb proof internal combustion engine Toyota made. Ever.

Last edited:
I have a '18 TRD Pro 4Runner and '19 LC.

As folks previously pointed out, it is basically comparing a vehicle that costs $40k stock to one that costs $80k stock.

So yeah, the quality of the LC is definitely there comparing the two, and it better be, And the engine on the LC just feels so much better and more appropriate.

The 6-cylinder on the 4runner gets ragged on all the time. And sure, a V8 would be awesome. But I routinely I haul my wife, 3 kids, Gobi rack packed full with recovery gear, tools, and camping stuff, rear cargo space full with a cooler, camping gear, shotty or a .22, clothes, food, and a bunch of other stuff so I can't see a damn thing out the back. And you know...I think it does just fine. We drive over mountain passes and do great. Would the LC V8 be even better...yeah! But I just stay in the power band. I don't find it hunting for gears all the time, but then again I probably just make it drive in whatever gear I want. And in the winter it is loaded with everything else and ski gear. Rear window roll down for the win too! So convenient. Although I did lose a sixer of Bodhizafa out the back in Sandpoint, Idaho last summer when I forgot to roll it up after hitting the store. Luckily the car behind me straddled it and we rescued it.

The LC is such a different rig. It is great. But I don't have lines down the sides of it from over grown trails. I haven't scraped underneath on rocks 4x4'ing. And the leather is so freaking nice inside I haven't beat it up yet. By comparison the 4runner has some sort of imitation leather that won't get thrashed by dirt or water, or my kids goldfish crackers left everywhere. Clearly the LC was built with the service life to handle everything the 4runner can and more, as it should for the cost, but I just haven't had the heart to push it yet. So if I'm going somewhere that is going to be hard on the truck, sometimes I find myself just going for the 4runner. But maybe I just need to get over that and get the LC out there and worked more. Super minor point, but climate controls on the LC for a loss...seriously, give me knobs, how lame!

As for one or the other being special...I'm not really into that. Some people will love the 4runner, I get asked questions about it all the time. Some will love the LC. People that know both will know if you are pulling up in a $40k car or $80k car. I don't necessarily find it a positive or special thing to pull up in an expensive car. And then some folks will judge that your 4runner or LC is a grocery hauler or whatever, but who cares about people like that.

I really like both rigs and am a pretty big LC fan. Is it $40k more capable or better than my 4runner? I don't know. Longevity-wise it probably is. As for ability off road I can't really say. Comfort-wise it is pretty great...really no comparison...between the two.

I've had three 5th Gen 4Runners, two GX460's, and two late model 200's (2019 LX570 and 2021 LC) of which I still own the 2019 GX460 and the LC. My favorite 5th Gen was our 2018 TRD Pro, I loved the manual t-case, the roll down rear window, and the rear locker. 4Runner's are a dime a dozen but they have an infinite aftermarket and they are extremely capable off-road. Like most, my biggest complaint was the 4.0L V6 and 5-speed combo. I don't have much bad to say about the 4.0L, it was a good motor that I also had in the two FJC's I owned prior to the T4R's but in concert with the 5-speed it was a lackluster performer. They were always hunting for gears and never seemed to be in the power band when I needed it the most. Add in weight from aftermarket parts and it only got more exaggerated. The seats were meh, the AC needed more oomph, the head lights were a joke and there was plastic everywhere. That said, it is better off-road IMHO when compared to the 200 and it's size and weight play a big role in that assessment.

In stock form the GX is hideous IMHO, soccer mom deluxe baby mover. Once modified they start to come into their own. The V8 is better than the 4.0L, the extra gear in the 6-speed is a game changer, and the overall build quality and interior in terms of textiles and finish out is a lot better as well. I see the GX460 as what we all wish that the 5th Gen could/should be. I hate that it doesn't have a rear locker and the rear door isn't ideal but the rest of it's strengths more than make up for those shortcomings. It's no 200 series but it's not trying to be nor should it be compared as such. For $50K new it's a solid package and used they are very affordable, that said they are getting extremely popular and with a quickly growing aftermarket I expect them to hold their value better going forward. I am surprisingly pleased with ours and the more I drive it them more I think about keeping it for the long haul.

The 200 is in a class of its own, there's no comparison and nor should there be. It drives like a tank, feels like a vault on wheels and it's one of if not the best highway cruisers (non-car) I have ever had the pleasure of driving cross country. The seats are decent, it has tons of creature comforts and a very quiet and comfortable cabin. Storied legacy, off-road capability, long term reliability, resale, etc. it checks almost all of the boxes. I will admit that I do enjoy driving the GX around town more so than the 200, it's just easier to park and whip around in confined spaces, I can say the same for when off-road, the 150-series IMHO takes the cake there for similar reasons. The 200 will always have more room, a better ride, and more refinement, but I definitely think that the 150-series has an upper hand on the 200 in some areas.

I am happy to own both and think they both have their strengths and short comings, but if forced to pick just one it would obviously be the 200 but I am glad that I am not forced to make that decision and get to keep one of both.

I might've already replied, but having owned a '13 4Runner Limited cured me of the desire to ever own another 4Runner.

The V8 was killed courtesy of big government of CAFE. Period.

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but I wouldn't word it as strongly. The take rates weren't there for the V8 due to steeply rising gas prices, particularly towards the end of the 4th gen model years which was '02-'09. This didn't just affect the 4runner, but many other thirstier cars and trucks. Gas prices are still a significant factor for new cars today so it's not always easy for new car priorities to be on power, when the V6 is fully able as equipped. It's not until people build them into tanks that they then wish for a V8, MPG be damned.

1610936500682.png

Currently have a 2016 4Runner that is my DD. I also own a "96" FZJ80, and a "04" LX470. I'm thinking about stepping out of the 4Runner, and into a 2010-2014 200 series Cruiser. Any of you current 200 series owner's been in my shoes, and if so, can you offer your input and advice?

Something else I'm curious about, is how is the self wrenching/ maintenance up keep on a 200, compared to working on a 5th gen 4Runner, 100 series L.C., and a 80 series?

I've been working on, and keeping the maintenance on all my vehicles, minus a timing belt job last February. So I just thought I'd ask so I know what I'd be getting myself into as far as wrenching on these bad mamma's go.

Thank's guys.
I have. Had a 2010 trail edition I built to be an awesome wheeler, explorer vehicle. Bought a 2015 Lc200 and never looked back.

6E975B29-69DE-46FA-9949-A865A1EB645D.jpeg

E729505F-A028-4808-A3B5-780E6F7163F6.jpeg

Well, I don't necessarily disagree, but I wouldn't word it as strongly. The take rates weren't there for the V8 due to steeply rising gas prices, particularly towards the end of the 4th gen model years which was '02-'09. This didn't just affect the 4runner, but many other thirstier cars and trucks. Gas prices are still a significant factor for new cars today so it's not always easy for new car priorities to be on power, when the V6 is fully able as equipped. It's not until people build them into tanks that they then wish for a V8, MPG be damned.

View attachment 2556617
It must have been the perception of gas mileage because the V6 barely beats the LC/LX in mileage and it barely beat the 4runner V8 back then. But I guess when gas is pushing $4 a gallon every last mile counts.

I had a 2011 Trail Edition 4Runner that I had modestly built. I loved that vehicle but with the added weight, my mileage went down to V8 range so I decided to upgrade. I found a high mileage (at the time) 2014 200 Series LC and brought it home. After driving the LC for a week or two, I still needed to sell the 4Runner so I figured I better put a few miles on it to keep the battery charged. Getting in, it felt cramped, loud, and cheap. I was honestly shocked because I loved that vehicle before I got the LC. If you're not serious about the switch, don't drive an LC/LX because the difference will force your hand.

The biggest take away here is that if buying both of these brand new there is no direct comparison and a major discrepancy. The 200-series should be better in nearly every way for double the money. It's only when buying the 200-series used at a 5-7 year age difference versus a brand new 150-series that they become comparable from a cost stand point and only then a somewhat fair comparison can exist. I love both for different reasons and the same goes for their short comings, but I derived a lot of pleasure out of the $45K TRD Pro 4Runner, maybe even more so than what I get out of the $88K Land Cruiser. The smiles and value per dollar on a new vs. new comparison is somewhat lopsided in favor of the 150-series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom