5.3 FJ62 Cold Air Intake Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexasLandCruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
pin.it
Who’s got what regarding intake tubes and filter box? I’ve got a somewhat modified intake and hate the way it looks and exposed.

Has anyone bought out of the box intake and it fit perfect or close with an enclosure?

I like the 62 air can that comes in the truck, it takes air right from behind the headlight and traps any debris or water that may enter, and already comes with the truck. you really can't beat that

I like the 62 air can that comes in the truck, it takes air right from behind the headlight and traps any debris or water that may enter, and already comes with the truck. you really can't beat that
Except it has a 2 inch intake into the box

Last edited:
the only thing that seemed to make a difference in that area was one time we were screwing around and stuck a tiny lawnmower filter right on the throttle of a LS3. it didn't like that very much.

So? It doesn't matter. The intake manifold necks down to 2" right after throttle body
Not set up to be throttled down to 2 inches twice. I assume you’re talking about at the back of the tube before dumping downward into manifold. I’ve seen a few stock setup type out of the box cold air boxes. However I’m planning on some NM and West Texas dust in spring and a sock won’t cut it. I saw one that was enclosed with a sight window on top of the box and draws air from bottom. I attached a top down view of mine. The dudes at the last shop had some MAS and engineering issues with tube length, and some airflow issues so the built a stupid little box.

FD7E0481-1632-420D-8078-D399C76C04AD.jpeg

568FE01C-B66E-469D-B9BE-65FC75126025.jpeg

the only thing that seemed to make a difference in that area was one time we were screwing around and stuck a tiny lawnmower filter right on the throttle of a LS3. it didn't like that very much.
I’ve thought about getting a real nasty exaggerated aluminum intake pulling the MAS and converting it to draw from IAT, rip all the emissions out, cut the cats and runs some Stainless Works custom pipes and twice side them out back.

Not set up to be throttled down to 2 inches twice. I assume you’re talking about at the back of the tube before dumping downward into manifold.

sounds like you've never taken your throttle body off :lol:

small throttle body opening/intake runners is what makes is responsive at low rpms, what you want in a Land Cruiser

sounds like you've never taken your throttle body off :lol:

small throttle body opening/intake runners is what makes is responsive at low rpms, what you want in a Land Cruiser
Are we talking about a 5.3? I just had the intake tube, MAS and a scope to the back of the engine, did I miss something where is reduces?

Are we talking about a 5.3? I just had the intake tube, MAS and a scope to the back of the engine, did I miss something where is reduces?
Looks like you have a Gen 4 motor, that style intake has a slightly larger opening before it neck's down inside the manifold, it's still about 2.5" though. all the Gen 3 truck intakes are the same 4.8/5.3/6.0 and all the Gen 4 truck intakes are the same, 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2

Like i said, it sounds like you've never removed the throttle body from the intake manifold

Looks like you have a Gen 4 motor, that style intake has a slightly larger opening before it neck's down inside the manifold, it's still about 2.5" though. all the Gen 3 truck intakes are the same 4.8/5.3/6.0 and all the Gen 4 truck intakes are the same, 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2

Like i said, it sounds like you've never removed the throttle body from the intake manifold
Do you have any input on a cold air? If not move on

Yes, like I said in my first reply, the stock FJ62 air canister gets "cold" air and works great for those dusty off-road conditions you are wanting to tackle.
A couple other members had used air boxes from silverados (not sure if you actually searched or looked at other threads) and such but no point if you have a 62 can

Yes, like I said in my first reply, the stock FJ62 air canister gets "cold" air and works great for those dusty off-road conditions you are wanting to tackle.
A couple other members had used air boxes from silverados (not sure if you actually searched or looked at other threads) and such but no point if you have a 62 can
Didn’t think about pulling a truck filter setup. Thanks

I’ll upload pictures of mine tomorrow but it’s similar to this. Years ago @NCFJ posted this photo of one of his trucks which prompted me to do the same..it’s very clean and works with the stock 62 snorkel intake & air filter - you just need to cut the lid

You’ll want 4” tubes to mimic the stock setup for accurate MAF readings (my truck was particularly picky with smaller diameter intake tubes)

C671BE9A-0AA1-438F-8B3C-4AB85D177318.jpeg

I’ll upload pictures of mine tomorrow but it’s similar to this. Years ago @NCFJ posted this photo of one of his trucks which prompted me to do the same..it’s very clean and works with the stock 62 snorkel intake & air filter - you just need to cut the lid

You’ll want 4” tubes to mimic the stock setup for accurate MAF readings (my truck was particularly picky with smaller diameter intake tubes)
I was going to post this but the OP said it isn't cool enough. I still don't get the MAF thing. I think that's only a Gen 3 issue with the round MAF housing.

View attachment 2583665
Just move your maf closer to your throttle body, no one says it can’t be the first thing off the throttle body

View attachment 2583665
That is really clean and sexy,

View attachment 2583665
that is really sexy. If you have some pics specific to the modifications that’d help, I really do like the stock can. What about filters or is the inside gutted? Last question, my right side is where they wired the swap like the heart of everything sits where this can sits on right. Or can I just flip it to drivers?

Cold air intake
To get cold air to your motor

if it’s not in a sealed box grabbing air from outside of the engine bay, it’s not a cold air intake

anyone with a tube and a filter attached to said tube and it’s still inside the engine bay, congratulations you just got a warm air intake. More air flow yes, cold air no not all just grabbing warm engine bay air

you must grab cold air from outside of the engine bay...that’s why performance cold air intakes move your filters down and away from the engine bay.

Orrr you can get the ultimate cold air intake and go get a snorkel and only grab the cold air from outside

Anyways, grab an Fj80 round filter housing that’s bolts in and attach a 4 inch hose to it

18938830-6F5A-4BD5-A6FE-A7E77D81A8F1.jpeg

BF03AD76-418F-4E1E-A909-DDFC4BFF7D65.jpeg

I was going to post this but the OP said it isn't cool enough. I still don't get the MAF thing. I think that's only a Gen 3 issue with the round MAF housin
Cold air intake
To get cold air to your motor

if it’s not in a sealed box grabbing air from outside of the engine bay, it’s not a cold air intake

anyone with a tube and a filter attached to said tube and it’s still inside the engine bay, congratulations you just got a warm air intake. More air flow yes, cold air no not all just grabbing warm engine bay air

you must grab cold air from outside of the engine bay...that’s why performance cold air intakes move your filters down and away from the engine bay.

Orrr you can get the ultimate cold air intake and go get a snorkel and only grab the cold air from outside

Anyways, grab an Fj80 round filter housing that’s bolts in and attach a 4 inch hose to it

View attachment 2583829

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom