4xsteve's move to the PNW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So last night I had only one task: to finish up the beadlocks.

Tires were already on the wheels and beadlock rings already mounted and torqued. All there was to do was to run a bead of silicone on the inner (non-locked) tire bead, air them up, and bolt them back on the truck. An hour at most, right? But then.....

First, as I was waiting for the silicone to tack up, I hopped underneath the rear diff to tighten up the bottom two bolts that always come loose and make it leak. One of the [grade 8 replacement] bolts tightened up just fine, the other barely started to tighten then got unrealistically loose. I proceeded to pull the front half of the broken grade 8 bolt out with the pliers I was using to tighten them. I temporarily filled the hole with RTV until I can get some proper replacements.
Then, while I was under there I realized that the bottom two leaves on the DS rear spring pack were out of place by a few inches... Great! Yet another broken center pin. So I finished up the beadlocks and mounted up the passenger side to the truck - mainly for safety's sake, so I wouldn't be pulling, pushing, and hammering on the DS leaf pack and axle with the whole rear end on jack stands (yeah, I don't like picturing that scenario either). To get the axle to drop far enough to insert the new center pin/bolt, the lower shock mount needs to be unbolted. That bolt was beat up enough that it wouldn't come off without the use of a 24" breaker bar - which, of course destroyed both the bolt and the nut in the process of removal. Then, once I finally got the axle to start dropping from the springs, the brake line (it's over the spring pack) didn't have enough slack. Luckily that was just a matter of removing a few of the little guide clips on the axle housing to gain what I needed; But nonetheless, it was just another one of the myriad of little things in the "grand snowball" of the evening.
Ultimately, after fighting with lining up the center pin holes for a bit, everything went back together pretty smoothly. All in all it wasn't one of the more frustrating wrencing sessions, but it always seems to go that way for me; Primary goal can't be completed because of something else, that secondary issue has the same thing happen and can't get done without doing something else first, and so on and so on. I usually get four or five layers deep before I can actually start finishing any one piece of the chain. Finally finished about four hours later, just before midnight.

Now, let's see how long my rear axle shafts last with these Boggers.

I thought I was the only person who couldn't flush the radiator without rebuilding the transfercase.... nice to know someone else shares my affliction.

Haha. Nicely put Matt.

So I finished up the beadlocks and mounted up the passenger side to the truck - mainly for safety's sake, so I wouldn't be pulling, pushing, and hammering on the DS leaf pack and axle with the whole rear end on jack stands (yeah, I don't like picturing that scenario either).

Says the man who routinely gets WAY too close to rigs as they balance on rocks...

Says the man who routinely gets WAY too close to rigs as they balance on rocks...
Its a spotter thing; call it spotter's intuition. I can "read" what a vehicle is doing or will do so I don't worry about it as long as I know and trust the driver. Besides, I usually plan an "out" whenever I put myself into bad situations.

To which time(s) are you referring to anyway? I only remember once that Dave said they saw me put my hand in a real bad spot.

Its a spotter thing; call it spotter's intuition. I can "read" what a vehicle is doing or will do so I don't worry about it as long as I know and trust the driver. Besides, I usually plan an "out" whenever I put myself into bad situations.

To which time(s) are you referring to anyway? I only remember once that Dave said they saw me put my hand in a real bad spot.

It's probably just me NOT knowing these things. To me, it looks crazy sometimes when you're that close to the truck.

I actually got really uncomfortable when the rock bouncers were going up trail 3 and you were right on the rock one of them was coming up. From my point of view, they are VERY unpredictable. I think John "called you back" before I said something - I really didn't want to see bloody Steve. Still don't ;).

It's probably just me NOT knowing these things. To me, it looks crazy sometimes when you're that close to the truck.
From "the outside looking in" perspective, I can understand what you're saying. I certainly do put myself in some places that probably look daredevil-ish to some. But as long as we're talking about Ted, John or Nick, typically I have nothing to worry about; we are all pretty much on the same page. Some may be a little crazier than others :cool:, but we understand one another.

I actually got really uncomfortable when the rock bouncers were going up trail 3 and you were right on the rock one of them was coming up. From my point of view, they are VERY unpredictable. I think John "called you back" before I said something - I really didn't want to see bloody Steve. Still don't ;).
Thanks for caring! :cheers: That was one time when I think I didn't realize he was coming all the way up my way or something. I'd been standing on the point of that rock watching the Jeep on it's side wiggling his way through the notch when everyone behind him decided to come up that dirt "wall" where I was standing. I ended up standing between two trees in case one lurched off course and headed my way. :eek:

Anyone who's been watching this from the beginning might recall I said that my landlord offered the use of his fab shop any time I needed to do some metalworking. Turns out it is a heavy equipment shop and is only about 1/4 of a mile away! So today I got to visit to utilize their drill press for a few 1/2" and a few 3/4" holes in some square tubing. Soooo nice to have the drill press. Saved a lot of time and headache. In addition, they graciously donated two 3/4" x 4.5" grade 8 bolts with washers and Nylock nuts. - Score #1

One street over is Fastenal. Reluctant to even try them due to many stories about having to buy in quantity, I wasn't even going to check with them for some stuff I needed for the Yota and for my current small project. Glad I did because 1) This store is fine with selling singles and 2) They write it up under my unit so I get a 10% military discount and no tax. - Score #2

Next door to Fastenal is the only local 4x4 shop. Initially I thought they were gonna be a little country shop with little knowledge of anything besides Jeeps and muddin. I was pleasantly surprised to see a bunch of Snap-On boxes and tools and a well stocked, albeit pretty dingy, showroom. Then I realize they're pretty knowledgeable and the primary tech is a Toyota crawler type. They quickly invited me to join them on an upcoming trip that, upon researching online, looks to be very Katemcy-like. - Score #3

you aint never coming back are ya? :moon:

Have to agree, it sounds like we may have lost him to the PNW. Of course based on how well his day went I might have to see if he needs a roommate? :smokin:

I love/hate this thread...I love that you have all that stuff out there, but hate that it isn't here

...via IH8MUD app

Steve, this where you're going in a couple weeks? this guy aint so graceful.

Steve, this where you're going in a couple weeks? this guy aint so graceful.
Yep, that's where I'm going. Ya know why he has so much difficulty???? Cause he ain't got no GEARS!! (Didn't watch real close, but might be auto too)

Finally got the Gecko onto some rocks out here! Last time she saw action was the New Years ride. Maybe not for some, but that's a LONG dry spell for me. First pic is the Gecko with Mt. Ranier as the backdrop; second is an obstacle called Can Opener at a place called Funny Rocks. The area is a little WNW of Yakima, Washington; sort of between Yakima and Mt. Ranier and part of Manastash Ridge.

Here is the link to all my pics on FB: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152502193472482.1073741826.659052481&type=1

IMG_0768.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG

Thought the bogglers were going on all 4 corners?

Thought the bogglers were going on all 4 corners?
Negative. The plan was always to just run them on the rear. However, in hindsight, I wish I would've left the worn down SX's on for this trip. I ran the Boggers backwards to help prevent wearing out the big scooped lugs on the [directionally] forward side. Didn't really help much though; the Boggers were like new when I left and now look like they've been on 5-10 trail rides already.

Looks epic!!! Wishn' I was part of the wheelin' up there these days.

Pic 1: Wide view of DS spring perch.
2014-08-07_21-06-45_755.jpg

Pic 2: Close up of same perch to show detachment.
2014-08-07_21-03-34_518.jpg

Pic 3: Cracked weld at the end of the upper axle truss - less than an inch from the perch detachment.
2014-08-07_21-04-48_849.jpg

Pics 4 & 5: The horrendously different sized and worn out centering holes.
uploadfromtaptalk1407485294022.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1407485380116.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom