4x4labs rear bumper gas spring information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the other day the ball stud on the 4x4labs rear bumper swing arm snapped. Starting with knowing nothing about gas springs, eyelets, ball studs and safety clips I went into research mode.

The way the ball stud snapped tells me this is going to happen to someone else. Therefor this information will make 4x4labs rear bumper owners a much easier to get replacement parts.

This is only relevant to a specific gas springs that came with my bumper. I don't know if Luke is consistent with what he is using. But this gas springs are very good so no reason to use others.

The Normont part number is: NSE500v120AL. Here are the specs:
Normont part # NSE500V120AL
Brand Made in USA
Type Fixed Force Gas Springs
Capacity (Pounds) 120.0000
Extended Length (Decimal Inch) 15.25
Stroke (Decimal Inch) 5.0000
Rod Diameter (Decimal Inch) 0.320
Tube Diameter (Decimal Inch) 0.750
End Fitting Metal
Piston Coating Chrome-Plated
Special Item Information Item requires two Safety Clips per gas spring

Here is the sticker on the gas spring. In case your sticker is gone.
image-520099918.jpg

Last edited:
You can get the gas spring from:
You can get it from MSC Industrial Supply Co. | Find Power Tools, Hand Tools, Machine Tools & More
MSCdirect information:
Item Number 00483602
Big Book Page # 2152

The part list on Page # 2153

Here is my order. I got some extra in case it is going to snap during an off-road outing:

I hope this is right. I will confirm when I get all these parts and make sure it is acutally work.
gas-spring-parts.JPG

Last edited:
Please note!
The ball stud should come off when you take the clip out. However, after two years of use, when the ball stud snapped, even when taking the clip off, the broken part in the gas spring ball socket end (the ball piece) will be either hard to get out, or impossible. So might as well have a spare ball socket.

The ball socket simply screws into the gas spring strut.

Last edited:
The ball breaking may have been a fluke, but likely not? The gas spring should not act as a stop, the arm has solid stops. Check the arm travel to confirm that it hits the stops before the spring runs out of travel. If it doesn't, may need to relocate the ball so that it does, or it will continue to break springs/balls.

I'll check into it.
The ball stud broke mid way the stroke. But as you said, if it acted a stop for two years, I can see it fatiguing.

The other thing I've noticed is that the ball in the socket seems to be frozen. the way I see it move, it must rotate freely inside the socket. Right?

How have your struts held up from a rust perspective? Mine that have been on the truck and exposed to weather for a few months are already rusting in the seams around the tube.

My struts are a different make, they were made in Korea.

Last edited:
Looks like a new model is being shipped:

Volumeline
Romeoville, IL 60446
Tel. 815-553-0253

(non-ladder swing-outs) 10" 150lbs GS: 89U100268JJ0667
(ladder swing-outs) 12" 150lbs GS: 89U140341JJ0667

Looks like Luke is selling them for $25/each.

Rear Bumper kits | 4×4 Labs

Mine holding up well, but i can see some rust starting.
To put things into prespective, the whole strut is $20 a piece and shipping for my parts is $10.

One thing about it. If you are in a place that rust shows like mine, unbolt the ball studs now and put them back with anti-seize grease.

My thread was not rusted, but two more years it might have.

Here are some incredibly s***ty, almost useless cell phone pics of the Volumeline struts on my bumper. So far, so good.

image-3962276448.jpg

image-1455306492.jpg

image-3360140036.jpg

image-1230460132.jpg

image-2687326755.jpg
image-3962276448.jpg
image-1455306492.jpg
image-3360140036.jpg
image-1230460132.jpg
image-2687326755.jpg

So here is the status.
The ball is stuck in the socket
The ball socket will not unscrew from the rod.
At least not easily.
I applied some PB and will try again tomorrow.
Unless someone can come up with a suggestion looks like I'll have to buy the whole gas spring again. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-1184740424.jpg
image-1232358618.jpg

Stylo07,
Nice feet!

The focus on all your pictures is either your feet, tire or floor but not the gas spring. :)
If you have an iPhone, you can touch the screen where you want the focus to be, then take the picture.
Other phones may work the same.

And I found out why it snapped. Thanks Tools.
The gas springs was installed in such way that the gas spring was fully extended and by swinging it out, there was no extension left putting too much strain on the bull stud.

Since I don't want to drill a new hole, I'm going to thread the ends not all the way to make the gas spring few mm longer.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

rhyary said:
Stylo07,
Nice feet!

The focus on all your pictures is either your feet, tire or floor but not the gas spring. :)
If you have an iPhone, you can touch the screen where you want the focus to be, then take the picture.
Other phones may work the same.

Ha! Thanks. Yeah, it's my iPhone, and the touch-to-focus feature was not cooperating at the time. Hopefully my foot picture helped your troubleshooting.

Ha! Thanks. Yeah, it's my iPhone, and the touch-to-focus feature was not cooperating at the time. Hopefully my foot picture helped your troubleshooting.

Those are definitely man feet. Helped a ton. Thanks :flipoff2:

last night I replaced the gas shocks. Here is important information you need to know:

First:
The two gas springs are NOT the same. The gas spring for the long arm for the tire is short, and the gas spring for the short arm is long.

Second:
The tire swing arm (long) opens to 95 degrees, and the short arm opens to 102 degrees. According to Luke the short arm opens more to accommodate the ladder accessory. The ladder interfere with the hatch, so the short arm opens more.

Third:
My tire swing arm gas spring came with 120PSI gas spring, and not Normont.
I replaced it with a 150psi Normont NSE400V150. You can buy the unit with no ends and purchase the ends sockets. See previous post.

Fourth:
The new gas spring is a tad longer than the full open swing. There is no way to compress it.
Luckily I caught Luke on the phone yesterday which he was kind enough to share the trick with me.
You need to loosen up the spindle nut enough so that the arm can go up and jump the stopper. Then you install the gas spring and use the arm to compress it as needed by tightening the spindle nut back into position.

Please note!
Install the safety clip right after you install the gas spring when it is still fully open. Once compress it you can not install the safety clip. Remember that once the swing arm is in its proper position you gas spring is .5" compress and putting pressure on the ball stud even at full swing arm open.

Also!
When I opened the short arm spindle nut and lifted the arm, bunch of water came gushing out of it. Since the spindle cap as sealed, I have no idea how the water got in there. As soon as I am back from Moab I will have to disassemble it and make sure to repack the bearings with new grease.

I am sure this is all trivia to some of you, but I had to spend way too much time on this and the information in this thread could have save me lots of time and research.

Lastly, MSCdirect.com are great to work with . Excellent customer service and patient for my questions. Anything they didn't know, they put me on hold and called the manufacture. The NSE400V150 are not on their web site, so they have to place a direct order with Normont. Normont was also pleasure work with. Very accommodating.

Last edited:
Since I don't plan to use the ladder, I have the gas carrier, I going to try to reposition the ball stud on the short arm so I can use the the NSE400V150 (4" stroke, 150 psi).

MSCDirect part numbers:

Short swing arm, "32911885":
Gas Spring for short swing arm
They didn't have the one with no ends or metal ends in stock. I got the one with the plastic ends and screwed the metal ones I had from previous order.

Long Arm better option:
mscdirect does not carry in stock the NSE400V150. They will special order it for you from Normont.

Long arm not as good option but cheaper and in stock. I found that the 120psi does not keep the tire open on a slope.
mscdirect part number: 32911836
Gas Spring for long swing arm

I recommend ordering the gas springs without ends, get the metal ends and clips, and screw in the ends with plenty of anti-seize grease. also put anti-seize in the socket before mounting on the ball stud. since the full open position of the swing arms is not the full extended range of the gas spring, you will not be able to easily remove the safety clip to lubricate it later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom