4x4 Lab's modular bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I received the first of 4X4 Lab’s new modular type rear bumpers. I ordered it with a driver’s side tire carrier and a three Jerry can size carrier on the passenger side, in hopes of someday going to Mexico and needing extra fuel.

The installation required the use of a sawzall and grinder plus the usual stuff. It went on easier than anticipated. The pictures are from my recent trip to Colorado.

It has had no glitches up to this point with about 3,000 miles on it.
leftside.jpg
rear.jpg
right.jpg

AWESOME!!!

I think out of all that bumpers out there, that one is my favorite! Luke does top notch work!

Does the bumper or jerry cans move at all if you try to shake them or are they firmly in place? It appears they are bolted to the swing out portion. Any chance you could post some more pics of that and the reciever portion?

Looks great!

That is indeed De-Lovely!

But I gotta say something about that tailpipe. That just needs to go! Of course one good trail and that'll take care of it for you. Just kidding as I realize you probably had to have it re-done for the bumper fitment but that thing scares me...

clownmidget said:
That is indeed De-Lovely!

But I gotta say something about that tailpipe. That just needs to go! Of course one good trail and that'll take care of it for you. Just kidding as I realize you probably had to have it re-done for the bumper fitment but that thing scares me...

That's the tailpipe? I thought the truck was just happy to see you.

That looks great Rick. You have a great rig. Hope you had a great time out here in Colorado. Come back soon or at least for Cruise Moab in Utah.

Ken

A very nice bumper indeed.

The jerry can holder seems to stick out a bit. Can that be moved/rotated 90 degrees?

I'm pleased that you're pleased .. :D

Just not the design for me .. something about the minimalist approach to the side pieces and the way it sits so close to the 80. I guess that might improve departure angle .. but in my mind an 80 rear bumper should be phatter .. Like the one on the 4+ 80 . Just my HO ..

Peace,

TY

Did you weld the bumper to the frame as a replacement to the crossmember you sawed off, or does the bumper bolt to it in such a way that welding it isn't necessary?

Ballpark figure on cost would be cool too.

That's the bumper i'm leaning towards when i win the lottery. Question, does it appear stout enough to take some serious licks from rocks at moab and still stay rigid?

So how was Telluride?

NorCalDoug said:
A very nice bumper indeed.

The jerry can holder seems to stick out a bit. Can that be moved/rotated 90 degrees?

Luke didn't seem real anxious to do a three jerry can holder--the size factor. In my ball park measuring, this seems as if this is the only way to position them. With the modular system, I could get a smaller, less protrusive one and just unbolt the current holder.

One day, I hope to go on an expedition to Mexico and three cans seemed like the way to go.

shocker said:
Did you weld the bumper to the frame as a replacement to the crossmember you sawed off, or does the bumper bolt to it in such a way that welding it isn't necessary?

Ballpark figure on cost would be cool too.

No welding is needed. It is a matter of cutting and bolting.

The cost is somewhere around $1,800-2,000, depending on options. Pretty much in the same ballpark as the other aftermarket bumpers.

concretejungle said:
That's the bumper i'm leaning towards when i win the lottery. Question, does it appear stout enough to take some serious licks from rocks at moab and still stay rigid?

From what I can see, it is well made. I have never been to Moab and don't know what that might entail. It seems to be at least as stout as the ARB front bumber.

Sweet bumper. Looks great on your rig :D

:cheers:

ginericfj80 said:
So how was Telluride?

The whole area is great. We stayed in Ouray and I managed to get a lot of miles and scenery under my belt. The picture, as I assume you recognized, is Ophir pass between Ouray and Telluride. Later tha tday we took Imogene pass back to Ouray.

The snow is still around in higher altitudes and the flowers were extremely nice. The temperatures in the higher passes was actually pleasant. I think this was avery good time to be there

It rained a few times and as a single vehicle, it made me hesitant to do some trails.

Boston Mangler said:
AWESOME!!!

I think out of all that bumpers out there, that one is my favorite! Luke does top notch work!

Does the bumper or jerry cans move at all if you try to shake them or are they firmly in place? It appears they are bolted to the swing out portion. Any chance you could post some more pics of that and the reciever portion?

Looks great!

They seem to be pretty solid--there is really minimal if any movement. I will try to get some pictures in the next day or two.

Boston Mangler said:
AWESOME!!!

Looks great!

I took some pictures of the bumper and have attached a link. If you need more let me know.

http://homepage.mac.com/rsaloom/PhotoAlbum26.html

Just wanted to chime in....

I have that bumper, and while I have yet to hit the Rubicon, it did take a big beating on the Dusy Ershim. Many drop offs that landed on the big thick flat underside of the bumper....no problem, it held up great. Many rocks that I dropped off of and it rammed into the rear corners, no problem either...and several times I leaned into rocks and trees into those side quarter panels and they are BOMBER....no worries.

The tucked in rear design does help departure, especially compared with that of a Kaymar. It weighs at least twice what a Kaymar weighs...

I did remove the resonator, and thus put in a new muffler and rerouted it all so it ends right near the rearr tire....no longer in a crunch zone...

Mine has the ladder, as I like the easier and safer roof access for Kayaks etc...

The rear crossmember that you hack, is now built into the bumper, and the bumper attaches to existing points in the frame

Buy it...you'll like it

Photo_Cruiser said:
Just wanted to chime in....

I have that bumper, and while I have yet to hit the Rubicon, it did take a big beating on the Dusy Ershim. Many drop offs that landed on the big thick flat underside of the bumper....no problem, it held up great. Many rocks that I dropped off of and it rammed into the rear corners, no problem either...and several times I leaned into rocks and trees into those side quarter panels and they are BOMBER....no worries.

The tucked in rear design does help departure, especially compared with that of a Kaymar. It weighs at least twice what a Kaymar weighs...

I did remove the resonator, and thus put in a new muffler and rerouted it all so it ends right near the rearr tire....no longer in a crunch zone...

Mine has the ladder, as I like the easier and safer roof access for Kayaks etc...

The rear crossmember that you hack, is now built into the bumper, and the bumper attaches to existing points in the frame

Buy it...you'll like it

Cool!

The more pics you can take and post, the better! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom