4Runner Noobie! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi!
As you can tell, I'm new around here. I've been lurking around the past few days looking at 80 series, Tacomas, and 4Runners. I love the look of the 80s, but at the moment it's not a smart investment for me. I've decided that a 4Runner would suit my needs - which are minimal maintenance, lower miles, needs to get me on & off 4WD roads but not rock crawling trails, need to be able to lay down in the back - 6' 4" here - so I can live in it in the summer, and most importantly, reliable. I love doing landscape photographry and as long as it can get me to the places I need to go, I'm happy (i've been cruising around in a Honda CR-V which has gotten me almost everywhere, just not enough room to sleep in the back).

That being said, if anyone had some spare insight or recommendations on what I should expect on a 4Runner for my price point (~$15k max, hopefully $10k + $5k to fix it up to reliable or small box build-out in trunk), all is welcome. I'm not extremely mechanic savvy (might do some repairs from a shop :nailbiting:), but I'm a huge advocate of YouTube University and always down to give things a shot. I'll keep reading on here, so if there are any relevant articles I might have missed, I will definitely check them out as well! Looking to learn as much as I can before I'm back in the U.S and ready to purchase one in April/May. Thanks in advance and happy muddin'!

There is no reason that you couldn't get a nice 3rd gen or decent 4th gen in you budget. You could get a decent 80 or 100 series too, but it seems you are looking elsewhere... Since you have the budget, I'd find one with the rear e-locker. The auto is sluggish with the 4cyl, but the manual transmission with the 3rz is an excellent pairing. The 3.4 paired with the auto or the manual is an excellent choice, but you will need to make sure the timing belt has been maintained. For the 4th Gen, I have heard only good things, but don't have any personal experience. I would say that I would try laying down in the back of one with the seats folded before you buy one. I've never tried, but at 6'5" I can't fit in the back of my 80 with the seats folded--you may have to build some sort of sleeping platform or remove the rear seats all together.

Good luck!

Dan

I would recommend a cruiser, having room to sleep in the back was the reason that i bought my 80. im 5 10 and with the passenger seat slid full forward I sleep on a platform that I drop over the middle and third row of seats and I still have headroom with my feet near the rear hatch. youll be able to make the 4runner work but theres going to be more interior space in the cruiser. another option would be a rtt, no worries about interior space other than to store all your stuff

At 6'4", you will not fit sleeping in the back of 3rd gen 4Runner, even with the rear seat bottoms removed. You'd have to sleep with the rear hatch door open a few inches. I'm 5'11, and I have to prop the rear hatch open with a shoe or some such if I want to sleep non-diagonally.
Your budget, IMO, is adequate to get a nice 3rd gen 4Runner, and you are wise to budget for new springs, shocks, and tires....plus, maybe a surprise repair or two.
Extensive knowledge base at the 4Runner forum.

I too am in the market for a Gen3 4R. I highly recommend visiting the FAQ pages both here and at Toyota-4Runner.org. Lots of newbie information to spin your head. Thanks to these two pages, and the forums, I have a plan as soon as I free up space in the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom