4Runner frame failures - could happen in older, rusted 80's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dang, thank you for bringing this to light. I never would have imagined that on a 4th Gen.

Don't forget the Tacoma frame rust and leat spring issues. Perhaps it's the older vehicles that are the safe ones, you should check your 100 series.

2002-2006 would cover last year of 3rd gen 4runner, but then we already knew they had problems with frame rust.

Yes, 80 series can rust in that area too. Local shade tree Toyota mechanic working on my sisters' Rav4 says he's seen it happen. He also mentioned cutting the rear part of a Sequoia frame off because of excessive rust and welding on a good one from "down south".

Tacoma's were made in the US with US Steel. 4Runners are made in Japan like 100's.

Tundra made in Indiana don't have this issue.

This is dumb.

Toyota recently had a massive suit against its supplier of steel. The steel was found to be rated much higher than delivered, which has contributed to much of the issue. Aside from the issues with trying to drain a rolled c channel frame compared to our fully boxed frame. This is simply not applicable to the 80 series.

I had a '98 Tacoma that succumbed to the recall ten or so years ago. I seem to recall the service manager explaining at the time that the frames didn't get the proper rust proofing inside the rails, causing the rust iasues, but no mention of poor quality steel.

Toyota recently had a massive suit against its supplier of steel. The steel was found to be rated much higher than delivered, which has contributed to much of the issue. Aside from the issues with trying to drain a rolled c channel frame compared to our fully boxed frame. This is simply not applicable to the 80 series.

If you are referring to the Kobe Steel issue in Japan, it's not applicable for these vehicles. Dana Corp in the US manufactured the frames for Toyota during that time period.

If you are referring to the Kobe Steel issue in Japan, it's not applicable for these vehicles. Dana Corp in the US manufactured the frames for Toyota during that time period.

Does the kobe steel live a pampered life such as its distant cousins kobe beef?

I was in Massachusetts a number of years back and saw a 2nd gen 4runner. Since im a toyota whore i looked more closely to it, i looked atvthe front suspension and gmhad to do a double take! I could see a large sized hole through the lower a arm!!!! There was only 1/4”-1/2” of material left at the top and bottom, so mostly just air. Couldn’t believe anyone would drive something like that, it couldn’t have lasted much longer, only saving grace is the torsion bar is on the upper on these trucks! Scary!

Rocks glass house. I see some 80s that I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

Next topic.

I was in Massachusetts a number of years back and saw a 2nd gen 4runner. Since im a toyota whore i looked more closely to it, i looked atvthe front suspension and gmhad to do a double take! I could see a large sized hole through the lower a arm!!!! !

Well, there is a hole in them straight from the factory....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom