4Lo Not Engaging on a 2009 LC200 (V8 petrol) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2009 LC200 (V8 Petrol) with 89,000 miles from a Lady that apparently never took this car offroading. The price was so attractive $20,000 that I only drove around the block, everything went smooth and did not test the 4x4 system because I thought this car was unbreakable. Now, 10 days later I decide to test the four-wheel drive system and it's simply not working.

Following the steps to engage 4x4 by putting in (N), then turning the switch from (4H) to (4L) to get the (4lo) signal starts blinking and does not stop (unless I switch to the car OFF and switch to 4H), no sound under the car, no beep on the dash or does nothing. I tried multiple times leaving it on (4L) and putting in (D) moving forward and (R) moving back and nothing. I lifted the car with someone under switch modes and there is no servo sound or any sound at all.

Furthermore, I decide to scan the vehicle with actually 3 OBD computers. The first one did not connect to the four-wheel drive ECU mentioning (No Connection) then I ran a second test with a different OBD and once more (No Connection) to the four-wheel drive ECU. So basically I cant tell what needs to be fixed. Please help! thanks!

Very likely the prior owner never engaged 4Lo. The 4Lo system needs to be "exercised" ever so often to prevent the actuator from sticking. Seems to be fairly common on the 4Runner, LX, and LC.

I read somewhere on a 4Runner board one mechanic tried banging on the actuator with a wrench or tool a few times, and this somehow loosened the actuator, and got the 4Lo system to engage.

Otherwise it's not a cheap fix, $2,500 fix on the 4R, probably more on the LC and LX.

Very likely the prior owner never engaged 4Lo. The 4Lo system needs to be "exercised" ever so often to prevent the actuator from sticking. Seems to be fairly common on the 4Runner, LX, and LC.

I read somewhere on a 4Runner board one mechanic tried banging on the actuator with a wrench or tool a few times, and this somehow loosened the actuator, and got the 4Lo system to engage.

Otherwise it's not a cheap fix, $2,500 fix on the 4R, probably more on the LC and LX.

Why would 2 OBDs not be able to connect with the 4WD ECU?

Make sure if you're engaging 4Lo (and you should engage the center diff lock too) that you do it after the transfer case has warmed up. If you try to do it cold and it's not engaging, it might be sticking.

Mine CDL sticks occasionally. I live in the city so I don't get to use it regularly. When it happens I drive it for a bit to warm everything up, then stop, put it in Neutral, and try to engage 4Lo. If it works I will start moving and engage the CDL, drive a bit, then disengage it, drive some more, then stop and go back to 4Hi. If it starts flashing and won't stop, turning the vehicle off and restarting it will reset the computer and it may work the second time around. Wprks for me with the CDL flashing.

Given the mileage you may want to have the transfer case fluid (and both diffs fluid) replaced. It's fairly cheap and might help as well.

As to the OBD2, you should be able to get basic OBD2 data but most readers won't be able to get the non-emissions Toyota codes. If you want to see everything get a $30 OBD2-to-USB techstream cable from ebay (most come with the latest Techstream software, but if not let me know and I can help). Plug it into a Windows laptop and you'll be able to see all the diagnostic codes and can perform a lot of troubleshooting that normal people can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom