4BD2T into an '89 FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I thought I answered all your questions?

Good luck

Is it possible to relocated this fuel filter mount? And besides this running into the the heater valve on the firewall do you see any issues that would arise from your engine being about 3" farther back? Ignore accessorys and the factory exhaust manifold and turbo as I won't be using those.
Thanks!

View attachment 1531489
Fuel filter housing is only held on with two bolts, it should be able to be relocated fairly easy. You would need new lines, but that's it. There would still be clearance issues with the existing bracket since the throttle cable mounts to the top, but it does look like it could be clearanced. Other than that I believe you would be fine with firewall clearance. One issue I do see is that the motor might need to sit lower to clear the bellhousing and that would cause an issue driveshaft clearance. Let me know if you need pictures.

Last edited:
Fuel filter housing is only held on with two bolts, should be able to be relocated fairly easy. You would need new lines, but that's it. Their would still be a clearance issue with the existing bracket since the throttle mounts to that, but it does look like it could be clearanced. Other than that I believe you would be fine with firewall clearance. One issue I do see is that the motor might need to sit lower to clear the bellhousing and that would cause an issue driveshaft clearance. Let me know if you need pictures.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I haven't lost interest in this swap, just been working out of state and away from the project so I haven't had much time to work on it, but I'll take some pictures and post the progress. @doug720 what did you do about the factory in tank fuel pump? Did you gut it? Did you build a different pickup?

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
So, I guess I'll just add some finished pictures to this thread, I don't have many of the inside or engine bay, but here is what I have. I sold it once it was competed so I won't know much about drive-ability or longevity, just thought I'd pass on the finished pictures.

If anyone has questions let me know I could probably answer them or get pictures if interested, I still have access to the 62.

Thanks, it was a cool swap and a good fit plus the Cruiser was extremely clean. It was actually pretty hard to part with, I’ve always liked 60’s and 62’s.

Thanks for posting this. I’ve been wanting to do this for awhile. I’ve got 2 4bd2t waiting for an install. I just can’t decide what tranny I want and related adapters. I’ve got a tranny out of a 62 and was going to try following longbows thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom