460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure if this was covered, but what is a more useful install?
The CC? Seems like it would be a great option for tough spots.
Or the MTS? Does it make it better for general snow and offroad driving? Does it make CC even better?
My thoughts? They do fundamentally different things. For the price of two tires, or eight tanks of gas, do them both. Downhill, CC does things your foot, or MTS can't do. Uphill? It really depends on the situation whether CC or MTS might be "better". I usually select the MTS setting when engaging 4Lo, and only engage CC over very specific, short obstacles. Getting unstuck? CC. General wheeling? MTS.

My 2¢ worth of opinion would be to do the MTS, reasons:
  1. Cheaper
  2. Easy plug and play, no having to mess with programming
  3. If you have DAC, you have half the CC, just not the up hill half.
I plan on adding CC but I have already installed MTS.
Again, just my 2¢.

$500 to do both and not have to worry about it? That’s me. 🙋‍♂️🙋‍♂️ Never having owned an IFS 4x4 before and not wanting to shell out for lockers (which I have had in all my solid axles) I wanted to have any / all available help. 😎

My 2¢ worth of opinion would be to do the MTS, reasons:
  1. Cheaper
  2. Easy plug and play, no having to mess with programming
  3. If you have DAC, you have half the CC, just not the up hill half.
I plan on adding CC but I have already installed MTS.
Again, just my 2¢.
How easy is it to add mts?

'20+ requires more $$$ and experimentation by an owner.

Post #1228 lays out current challenges... someone will have to drop $1k as a "test"... no guarantees it will work

I finally had an opportunity to try out CC and MTS yesterday playing in some sand. I am new to all these fancy electronics having come from the FJ40 and LX450 world and we had a few rigs with us so I didn't get to do any comparisons like how it did with and without each of these. But got to play around a bit with them. MTS worked as it should have. I got hung up in a spot without it on, turned it on to Mud and Sand and came right out. CC is something I will have to get used to. Don't touch the brake or throttle because that basically "deactivates" the CC features. And if I hadn't read something on here a few days ago, I would have thought I broke all kinds of s***. o_O CC makes all kinds of nasty sounds in the cabin when it's doing it's thing. I wasn't aired down at all and I was a bit impatient because I had a string of rigs behind me so I will have to do some more playing with this. I need to remember those Tacoma videos when CC was first put out there and they would extract themselves from being buried in the sand up to the frame. It took several minutes for the CC to do what it does. I need instant gratification so I will need to learn some patience with this. ;) At the end of the day, I still think the $500 investment in these 2 features is well worth it. I can see the benefits to both.

Thanks! Good to know. What do you mean by taking several minutes for CC? Just letting it crawl slowly up? did you try bumping the crawl speed up and down? Did you activate center diff lock or leave it off?
Sorry, I haven't read the manual, should probably do that

Thanks! Good to know. What do you mean by taking several minutes for CC? Just letting it crawl slowly up? did you try bumping the crawl speed up and down? Did you activate center diff lock or leave it off?
Sorry, I haven't read the manual, should probably do that
Ha ha. What's a manual?? ;)
To answer your questions:
- yes, CC is a slow process by nature and you just have to let it do it's thing.
- yes, I played with the speed of CC up and down and could tell it was moving quicker / slower based on the God awful noises it was making. :eek:
- I played around with the center diff lock turning it on and off. Couldn't really tell what / if it did anything (I'm sure it did) but I have never had a vehicle with this option before (my LX did not have a center diff lock button) so I need to figure out when is the right / wrong time to have that locked.
- Manual? See my first comment. :D

Ha ha. What's a manual?? ;)
To answer your questions:
- yes, CC is a slow process by nature and you just have to let it do it's thing.
- yes, I played with the speed of CC up and down and could tell it was moving quicker / slower based on the God awful noises it was making. :eek:
- I played around with the center diff lock turning it on and off. Couldn't really tell what / if it did anything (I'm sure it did) but I have never had a vehicle with this option before (my LX did not have a center diff lock button) so I need to figure out when is the right / wrong time to have that locked.
- Manual? See my first comment. :D
Like yourself, my last overlander was 100 series Landcruiser, and early one ('98) with the factory rear e-locker (and I added a TJM front air locker too).
I'm still waiting to try my MTS in something and figure how all it's nuances. I have yet to add the CC.

Like yourself, my last overlander was 100 series Landcruiser, and early one ('98) with the factory rear e-locker (and I added a TJM front air locker too).
I'm still waiting to try my MTS in something and figure how all it's nuances. I have yet to add the CC.
I'm interested to see your comparisons v the rear locker you have. You already have ATRAC and rear locker, so I'm not sure the different modes of MTS are going to get you through anything. CC might be a different story. The consistent, low speed might help in situations where BOTH rear wheels are spinning such as sand/snow/steep-and-loose?

I think MTS even with lockers has value as it offers variable ratio ATRAC.

I always think of switchback scenarios where lockers may not always be the best fit
I agree, if I remember from a video about a Taco testing MTS buried to the hubs in sand, the MTS modulates the throttle and brakes per tire.
Even with my front and rear lockers, I don't have the dexterity to do that.

I purchased a 2017 GX 460 Luxury model and just discovered that it does not have MTS on vehicle. Can someone recommend a mechanic in Los Angeles who can add this feature? I assume dealer can not complete this upgrade. Also, what is the correct part number for this upgrade/replacement? I learned not to base part on VIN for my vehicle.
Hey dude, I know this is like two years old but this is an install thread on an off rod enthusiast forum. Read the room. You should do this yourself. It’s manly and rewarding.

Got to try CC for the first time yesterday, on the beach. Played around with the settings and had the truck maxed out on different settings! Center diff lock, MTS set to mud/sand and CC on. Drove around half mile providing no pedal input and alternating CC speed. Also turned center diff lock off to see if that provided any difference. The truck drives great on the sand as is (typically I leave in 4high, and MTS sand/mud), so no real benefit from using CC, however I can see it helping get out of a scenario where the truck is stuck/buried. Looking forward to trying out CC on other technical terrain in the future.

IMG_5664.jpg

CC is primarily used for rock gardens, extremely convoluted sections of trail, or anything that could have your throttle foot bouncing on the the throttle or when a very smooth throttle is required. I've been in the above situations and it is impossible to keep a steady throttle when your rig is bouncing up and down on each rock.
And also for down hill descents (or up hill too) so you can focus on the terrain and what you're about to roll over than dealing with the brake and throttle.
I can't really see any use for CC in sand, snow or mud.

CC is primarily used for rock gardens, extremely convoluted sections of trail, or anything that could have your throttle foot bouncing on the the throttle or when a very smooth throttle is required. I've been in the above situations and it is impossible to keep a steady throttle when your rig is bouncing up and down on each rock.
And also for down hill descents (or up hill too) so you can focus on the terrain and what you're about to roll over than dealing with the brake and throttle.
Videos all over the web showing CC getting trucks unstuck from sand.

Reactions: r2m
Videos all over the web showing CC getting trucks unstuck from sand.
Thanks for the correction! 👍
Only installed MT right now and haven't even had a chance to try that out yet.
But the rest of what I stated is valid for CC.

No worries, it was just my first opportunity to try it!

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom