45 rust - how bad could it be? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I'm considering importing an FJ45 from Aus to the UK but there are a couple of bits of rust I'd appreciate an opinion on please. The first is under the paint where the side panel behind the fender joins the passenger floor. The pics are not much to go on I know, but can anyone give me an idea what might be involved here.
The second just puzzles me, its something hanging down above the windshield, what is it and how much of an issue is that potentially please?

There are some other bits of rust but nothing too bad, small holes at the front edge of the hood, some bubbling around the rear outside corner and a little in the adjacent ambie door corner. I had a local vehicle inspection, which reported fair condition generally but good for the chassis. The truck is 8000aud (plus shipping and import tax)

I tried to upload some pics, hopefully you can see 'em and they are the right ones!
HVB9P
I searched the web and the faq's but didnt find any specific help.

tks

Les

IMG_0081.jpg.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely some rust issues. How good are you at sheet metal repair? To me, this is probably just the tip of the iceburg. However, if the chassis is solid, it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. I would be concerned, however, because you can't inspect it yourself. I would request a lot more pictures detailing every panel on the rig before offering any money. The only way to fix what you have shown in the few pictures you posted is to cut out the rust and weld in new metal. It can get time consuming and very expensive if you can't do it yourself. You can offset that with how much you feel a unique rig is worth.

The thing hanging down in front of the windshield is what connects the hardtop to the windshield.

Good luck and welcome to Mud! :cheers:

1.Rust around vent is likely all the way through and will need to be cut out and repaired. Other side is probably the same.
2. Windshield rust appears to be surface rust and can easily be repaired. Rain gutter looks good.
3. Running boards can be repaired or replaced.

I would be more concerned about what other rust there may be.

Welcome.

Hopefully you have not spent any money on this yet.

When there is rust evident, especially in the areas you have pictured, it is almost certain to be rusted through/wasted in the normal rust areas (rear frame cross member, rear body support and fenders, body mounts, etc)

The kick panel pictured is blistered garbage.

The mess above the windscreen is something you want to avoid like the Plague.

The rotten running board is indicative of other severe rust issues with that truck.

Unless you are getting seven thousand pounds worth of Gold Bullion in the rear when it is shipped to you, I would not think of wasting your time or money on this.

Here are two threads you will want to refer to for how to and inspiration. Matt is a true Renaissance man.

1965 FJ45lv

1978 FJ45

I would consider replacing entire cab with aluminum before beginning "restoration." Ask me how I know...

Aqualu Landcruiser Bodies FJ45 4501-4510

I didn't go this route, but wish I would have studied it closer.:bang:

The honest answer is, it could be bad :(

Firstly lets say almost nothing is not repairable with time and money, I am often amazed when I see what some here have repaired. But don't kid yourself, shipping spares or panels from either the US or Aus can get expensive.

- the rust around the vent, seems to be at the seam where the floor meets the edge of the firewall now this is quite a structural join and I imagine an area where the tub gets a lot of its rigidity from. (I have seen 40's with worse rust in other areas but they all had hardly any rust there)

- the metal roof seam/edge is bonded to a GRP top and if it is badly rusted, can be a PIA to replace/repair. (remember also that the US prob wont have 45 series roof parts for you, Canada may but I am not sure on this.)

The honest answer is, it could be bad :(

Firstly lets say almost nothing is not repairable with time and money, I am often amazed when I see what some here have repaired. But don't kid yourself, shipping spares or panels from either the US or Aus can get expensive.

- the rust around the vent, seems to be at the seam where the floor meets the edge of the firewall now this is quite a structural join and I imagine an area where the tub gets a lot of its rigidity from. (I have seen 40's with worse rust in other areas but they all had hardly any rust there)

- the metal roof seam/edge is bonded to a GRP top and if it is badly rusted, can be a PIA to replace/repair. (remember also that the US prob wont have 45 series roof parts for you, Canada may but I am not sure on this.)

Good advise there, shipping parts to the UK is expensive and parts are getting more expensive by the day as a exchange rate falls.

One thing that looks strange is the roof, on my '75, '76 and the '77 had to break for parts the roofs were all steel, and in poor condition, this one does look GRP, what year is the truck?

Its an '84 with a GRP roof.

Thanks very much for all the replies, I appreciate the knowledable advice. Its a shame, I thought I'd cracked it with this truck but the owners view of immaculate and mine are different. He is still adamant the truck is fine. Unfortunately I struggled to get any detailed photos until I shelled out for an independent vehicle inspection. From what few photos I do have the rest of the truck doesnt look too bad but as someone commented here, theres no way too proceed without much more detailed photos. Poser, I tried to negotiate for the gold bullion load but failed dismally.

rgds

Les

My FJ40 is pretty rusty in all the typical cruiser places but looks great in the areas you have photos of. Point being, as others have said, who knows what's going on in the rear sill and other areas, and it seems questionable they're not showing you pictures of those panels.

I wouldn't buy that sight unseen. That looks to be some substantial rust for something billed as clean, and who knows what's been covered with filler. My dad always warned me about white "restored" cars, i.e., "bring a magnet."

Well I must be a total mug for contemplating repairing these two
westjobbluebabiesbenchseat7.jpg

Good luck whatever you decide

Here are two threads you will want to refer to for how to and inspiration. Matt is a true Renaissance man.

1965 FJ45lv

1978 FJ45

These two threads are probably responsible for more failed restorations than anything else. Few of us have the skill, resources and time that Matt put into those trucks.

Not that it's necessarily a bad thing that people try to save these trucks, but you gotta be realistic when you buy a rust bucket. Body work sucks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom