40 Tire Carrier Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im thinking of a color for that bumper..................................:D
P1010310.JPG

OOOOh yeah!!!!

Has anyone had a pro-paint shop snap that color to find out an exact code?

My paint guy couldn't get it off the part's I actually had (mirror etc) because they're too small.

Just wondering. I'm half tempted to buy the damn CCoT paint so I can shoot it on sheet metal and snap it..... assuming it IS the correct color :D

With that code you can get it matched in powder as well.

Its close, Not correct...NOT TO JACK THREAD....That is powder coat I found that is real close.

Order a rear bumperette, they come painted if you need to see Original.

CCOT and JToutfitters is near impossible to apply, well for me......

HAWK,

If you want a near perfect match I will get you a part number for the powder.

Shane

Thanks guys but mine will be black. :)

You can do what you want with yours. :D hehehe

Tugdog, the price is still yet to be determined. I'll post up in the for sale section once it's ready. But I'm leaving on monday for a month so it won't be til early Jun when I can take any orders.

:beer:

Hawk-

Your bumper carrier looks really sweet. Mine is getting all the buttoning up befor Moab this weekend.

I am adding two more brakets and several gussets here and there to stiffen everything up a bit.

I really like the look so far. What is your plan for mounting up your tire and other stuff, are you going to mount a cooler?

Have you seen IPOR, new tire carrier portion? It looks great and will keep the weight down.

Keep it coming man

Rezarf <><

Thanks REZARF, your buildup was an inspiration. ;)

Make sure to post up a good report of your trip to the red rocks. Can't wait to see all the details and pics once you're finished with the gussets and stuff.

Yeah I saw the IPOR prefab mount. Looks good but I'm just gonna stick with some triangulated 2x2" which is cheap and I already have some on hand. Shouldn't add but 10 pounds to the arm.

Had a hold up the past couple days with some other orders but I'm still planning to have it mounted and a tire on it (unpainted) prior to my departure on Monday. We'll see.

Thanks man.

:beer:

Cooler, jerry cans, hilift, lights, antenna?

Any of that stuffs going onto it?

Rezarf <><

No lights or antennas.

I'm thinking of how to secure the hilift to the swingarm. It needs a support extending from the tire support to hold it tight then it will most likely rest on the swingarm right next to the tire support tube. Pics coming.

The cooler rack will be built on some 2" I.D. square tube that has the bottom 1/4 chopped off. Then it will just slide right over the swingarm and I'll use bolts that run through front to back of it through the swingarm to snug it all up.

The jerrican will be mounted to the side of the cooler basket.

That will be a while yet before I get to the basket though. :frown:

HawkDriver said:
No lights or antennas.

I'm thinking of how to secure the hilift to the swingarm. It needs a support extending from the tire support to hold it tight then it will most likely rest on the swingarm right next to the tire support tube. Pics coming.

The cooler rack will be built on some 2" I.D. square tube that has the bottom 1/4 chopped off. Then it will just slide right over the swingarm and I'll use bolts that run through front to back of it through the swingarm to snug it all up.

The jerrican will be mounted to the side of the cooler basket.

That will be a while yet before I get to the basket though. :frown:

That sounds great! I am starting on my basket as well, and using the exact method you are talking about... that way I can make a snowboard rack in the winter, and a mountain biking rack as well, I plan to make each one be able to bolt on and off as needed.

Rezarf <><

Nice work Hawk. Hmm... looks a bit familiar... LOL!

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/40bumpers.htm

You going to put in recovery points? We will soon be selling our massive 1" thick recovery points as DIY parts. Add a set of those and you could really have something there... ha, ha. Good times.

Or, you could save some time and just buy a lot of raffle tickets. STLCA will be giving away an IPOR FJ40 bumper with tire carrier and high lift mount at GSMTR again this year. (We're also donating one to GCLC for CMCC this year, just in case you don't win in Tellico...) We'll have some DIY tire carriers in the mix for the raffles too.

:)

Lance
www.ironpigoffroad.com

REZARF,

That sounds sweet. I totally dig the snowboard rack idear, hadn't gotten that far ahead in my thoughts (about 3 more years before I'll be needing one again :) ). Can't wait to see your stuff.

Thanks Lance,

Yes, yours was one of the many I referenced over and over in designing this thing. Surely you can see some major differences though. ;)

Yup recovery points will be added and welded through the bumper itself. I've got some full 2x1" bar as well as my normal 2x3/4" bar, can't decide which to use. I'm thinking the 3/4" just like up front.

IPOR said:
Or, you could save some time and just buy a lot of raffle tickets. STLCA will be giving away an IPOR FJ40 bumper with tire carrier and high lift mount at GSMTR again this year.

What, and just drop this project... Riiiiiight... ;) Where's the fun in that? :D Unfortunately I won't be around for the GSMTR, so next year possibly. Good on ya though for donating. :beer:

Couple of pics I snapped real quick.

Got all the old tire carrier stuff removed, PITA but I only snapped a couple of bolts and only made a couple of scratches on the paint. ;)

It looks a bit on the plain side without the recovery points or tire support welded up yet. But you get the picture.

There you can see the lock pin nicely tucked in and out of harms way.

Last one shows just how close to the rear crossmember it sits. Pretty close in order to keep the departure angle at a minimum.
Mounted 001.jpg
Mounted 002.jpg
Mounted 007.jpg

These last few show the plan for the hilift. It will sit just to the side to allow the door to still swing open. I will probably just weld studs to the arm and use tabs and wingnuts to secure the baseplate to the swingarm (not decided on this yet). And then most likely use some 3/4" bar like in the picture to brace it. I might run that bar up from the 45* tire support tube (not shown yet).

So basically it will sit behind the tire and to the side of the door.

Yeah I know, I might need to chop my jack down to 48". ;)
Mounted 015.jpg
Mounted 016.jpg
Mounted 018.jpg

What are you using to cushion the arm when it is in the closed position?

Hawk-

This is looking shaweeet! I LOVE how you have the ability to open the door with the carrier fully closed, I have not seen anything like that anywhere!

I think your bar stock over kill on your Hilift, but I bet it will hold! :D

Keep it comming!

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom