40 Series (BJ42 81-84) Center Console Rear Heater Blower Switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Satori1984

SILVER Star
Threads
My 1984 BJ42-LV is a Euro model (24 volts completely unlike the Canadian model) and it has the black "delete plug" in the center console beside the console ashtray. Was there a rear heater blower switch made for this model which is not an LX? Looking for a part number and looking to purchase switch if available.

Not looking at BJ42s but FJ40 the switch was only used during part of the 81 model. After that it ran on the high speed with the front blower. I picked up a switch to use in a heater I have. It's from a 60 series. On the FJ40 and FJ60 it's the same part number. Can't see why these wouldn't work on 24 Volt system. If the motor has the same RPM should be double the voltage but half the amperage.

I'll try again - yes the rear heater (console) runs off high speed/front blower like you said. But do you think the switch in the console also be installed as another option (if compatible with 24 volts)?

Yes the switch came on Canadian bj42’s centre console (24v blower motor) ... can spec 42’s are entirely 24v; except for the headlights and a couple random mini bulbs in the dash.

6554CC76-997A-4A4C-9F76-8A2FDC9F8350.jpeg

Yes the switch came on Canadian bj42’s centre console (24v blower motor) ... can spec 42’s are entirely 24v; except for the headlights and a couple random mini bulbs in the dash.

View attachment 2702260

I only show this used on Canadian BJ42s from 8/80-1/81 same as the FJ40.

I'll try again - yes the rear heater (console) runs off high speed/front blower like you said. But do you think the switch in the console also be installed as another option (if compatible with 24 volts)?

These would require a single pole double throw switch. Otherwise power would back feed to the high speed on the front fan.

Interesting, so after 8/81 it was a ‘push button’ instead of a toggle?

Going by what I see in parts listing the push button was the only used for the first few months of the 81 model year. Here is a rear heater I got out of a 3/82 FJ40. When I got it it had the blank instead of the switch and ashtray it came with was missing the lid. Was able to find a new ashtray and sourced the switch from a 60 series.
IMG_20190903_192641731.jpg

I have never been able to find a wiring diagram for a 40 series that shows the switch. My reasoning for what it's worth is the switch was in series with the front blower switch. That way it would be like the water valve. If the front water valve is closed the one in the in the center console controls nothing. Would be the same for the switch. Only when the front blower is on high could you turn the rear off with the switch in the console. Toyota had to have shown this in a wiring diagram for the 40 series some where. Believe it was 87 when Toyota changed the center console in the 60 series. If it's like my 89 FJ62 it has a two speed blower only controlled by switch in the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom