Builds 40 Guy Builds a 100 Series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

9 Cruisers lost driveshafts !?!?!?!
No, I installed or removed a driveshaft 9 times...

broken u-joint 1 removed 1 installed
broke on PSM 1 removed to bring to camp to see if an 80 series DS would fit.
borrowed DS 1 removed
retrieve 100 1 removed front, 1 installed rear to get to camp.
return borrowed driveshaft 1 installed rear.
install my 'new' rear 1 installed
reinstall front 1 installed

That's 9 driveshafts either on or off my 100 or someone else's. Pro-tip 100 owners need TWO 14mm wrenches to get our driveshafts off/on. I carry 2 now ;)

Sounds like a literal PITA-

Removing prop shaft is not my favorite job laying on the dirt or in the mud wrestling those flange bolts off. Doing it 9x would suck

I now carry one of these with wobble extensions- it will zip those flange nuts off in a heartbeat.
DEWALT 20V MAX XR Impact Wrench Kit, Brushless, High Torque, Hog Ring  Anvil, 1/2-Inch, Tool Only (DCF899HB) , Yellow - - Amazon.com

Lo

Looks like you've earned your membership into the "full send 4 wheel drive club"!

It also looks like that was an awesome trip!
Lot's of highs with a few lows. It was an AWESOME father/son trip. We had a blast and made some memories and my 13 year old got to see what kind of men stepped in and helped when needed... lots of good "manly" lessons. I taught him the term "embrace the suck" when things weren't going our way. We will be back next year (but we will tow the 40 down!) haha

You are lucky that your CV broke and spared the life of your front diff!
Looks like an awesome trip!

You are lucky that your CV broke and spared the life of your front diff!
Looks like an awesome trip!
Correct, I was very grateful. Could have been much worse. FWIW, I am on my 4th CV on the front passenger side.

Correct, I was very grateful. Could have been much worse. FWIW, I am on my 4th CV on the front passenger side.
I am not surprised, Aussies seems to have broken the passenger side CVs on the 200s too!

Glad to know that I am not the only one who goes through CVs too... I have broken 2 passenger CVs.

Nice to get out and not break! Haha

Spent some time exploring the Little Belts and Castle Mountain ranges here in Montana. Snow kept us out of the best spots but still nice to get out. 20* low for you southerners… perfect spring weather for us.

A few water crossings.
F3916910-CD0E-46D8-9541-90024BD146F0.jpeg

Camp mode.
0C1F9553-CFDE-4A9D-A7B8-28C0A155BEFA.jpeg

Our group.
D0CC2D77-85C2-4C82-B387-8448ABD25801.jpeg

Put in over 130 miles on dirt.
F3904D36-7096-4546-829D-6263DAC92C0D.jpeg

Group shot.
9CE903E9-CF62-4E2D-B39F-8C01534AC22D.jpeg

For memories sake.

I drove off this trail… somewhat delirious.
FCE04D25-4BD0-412E-BCC5-493E52DED9C3.jpeg

After working on this axle…
4BF0AC21-7387-4166-AFF1-A5C58907F062.jpeg

Here’s what we were dealing with… (insert, “THERE’s YOUR PROBLEM!”
27A616B1-581B-4825-B74B-559B7FCDDA99.jpeg

It was nice of the boot clamp to hold on and retain the grease so that your mess was contained!
A blessing in disguise. I’m modifying a drive flange by milling away the splines so I can use that to keep the gunk out if I break again. This was my 4th front axle on the passenger side.

A blessing in disguise. I’m modifying a drive flange by milling away the splines so I can use that to keep the gunk out if I break again. This was my 4th front axle on the passenger side.
Consider manual locking hubs sold by @cruiseroutfit. They let you just turn a dial to disconnect the flange

I love Montana... almost 60 miles of dirt this weekend, hardly saw another soul. All public land.
IMG_1492.JPG

I picked up a used Weber Q grill locally off a gal who was "getting out of camping" and I LOVE IT! It has changed the game for me camping and "overlanding" this season. It sips gas, auto ignition, small footprint for 2-3 people, doesn't dirty up several pots and still allows for a pretty gourmet meal on the trail. I just gotta' figure out how to keep the grill grates inside from clanking around but otherwise I am in love with this little thing... I am all ears if you have ideas. I was thinking:

1. Make some kind of soft case the grates can slide into in transport but they are messy, greasy, nasty... not sure this is worth it.
2. Drill some small holes around the perimeter of the grill and use some bailing wire to "tie" the grates down... not sure I will eliminate the rattle.

Thoughts?

IMG_1468.JPG

I picked up a used Weber Q grill locally off a gal who was "getting out of camping" and I LOVE IT! It has changed the game for me camping and "overlanding" this season. It sips gas, auto ignition, small footprint for 2-3 people, doesn't dirty up several pots and still allows for a pretty gourmet meal on the trail. I just gotta' figure out how to keep the grill grates inside from clanking around but otherwise I am in love with this little thing... I am all ears if you have ideas. I was thinking:

1. Make some kind of soft case the grates can slide into in transport but they are messy, greasy, nasty... not sure this is worth it.
2. Drill some small holes around the perimeter of the grill and use some bailing wire to "tie" the grates down... not sure I will eliminate the rattle.

Thoughts?

View attachment 3044445
I thought Coroplast dividers inside of some sort of padded envelope would be tough and could be cleaned easily. Disposable, yes, but they’re available for free at most street corners during election season.

I have really enjoyed the drawers I built a few years back, it kinda shocks me how much I like them. They hold a ton of stuff I like to carry and still allow for a lot of gear to be lashed down for trips. I like them so much they would be pretty high priority to make for any new ride in the future. That said, I have wanted to make a few adjustments and mods to version 1.0 so I pulled them out today in preparation for an upcoming trip with my 10 year little girl to Glacier National Park and surrounding areas of Montana.

I have a lot of little things to do and a few big items on the list. In no particular order I hope to:
  • Pull the rear seatbelts
  • Clean up the carpets a bit
  • Pull the 20 gallon water tank
  • Install a 7 gallon water tank
  • Hard mount my subwoofer into the left over space from the old water tank.
  • Disconnect the factory subs
  • Fix my air compressor (it broke free from the rubber isolators)
  • Move the fuse block to a more accessible location
  • Replace the footman loops with eye bolts for the turnbuckles
  • Move the rear mounting position to clear the water pump.
  • Replumb the waterlines for the water faucet
  • Glue the leading edge of the carpet again, it is dangling.
  • Add my "attic" back in after a few mods.
Today I only had an hour or so, but I managed to pull the drawers with the help of a few friends, pull the rear seat belts, clean up the carpet and disconnect the factory sub.

It's amazing, I bet the rear of the 100 rose 1-1.5" with the drawers removed. There's a lot of weight rolling around back there.

I hadn't seen or cleaned the carpet in a few years now...
AE1D534E-065D-471E-B0C7-6E65D61970CF.jpeg

Here is the main reason for the redo... the 20 gallon water tank. It's awesome when we are in Moab for a week to have 20 gallons of water on tap but it really starts to eat up weight and space. We NEVER used all 20 gallons, ever, not even close and filling it was a pain as you needed a hose and filter and it always liked to slosh around. I decided I could cut my water needs by over half and still have plenty for a long weekend with one of the kids. If we need more (we won't) we can always add another jug to meet the need.
54600BE4-4BA8-4001-A165-8A96EB379A7B.jpeg

Here is the new 7 gallon water tank next to the v1.0 20 gallon water tank. There is a HUGE difference in size and volume. I have found when I go camping/wheeling with one of my 3 kiddo's we use about 2 gallons a day. We usually bring 5 gallons total on almost ever trip and I haven't run dry yet. I figure the 7 gallons will give me a bit of a buffer to stay out for an additional day if needed.
923B2F2E-AD00-4CC1-87E3-B94576698B1C.jpeg

Here's we are going with this version 2.0 The water tank will sit on the passenger side and still allow for a small shelf/storage on top and the Sub will get a new enclosure built and take up the remaining space on the drivers side. I love having a 10-12" sub but it can really eat up space on a longer trip. I have pulled it out on longer trips when 2-3 kids come along on a trip just for the space, that's getting old, I like my tunes. Also, strapping it down in case of a rollover means it has to sit between my tie-down rails and that is precious cargo space for all my other gear that comes along. This solution is going to be awesome. It'll allow me to pack my new-found-love Weber Q in it's place... win-win.
4C93FA2D-58C3-48C8-B14F-9CD9CDD44C8E.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom