40 build up, not frame off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone know of a thread about building up a 40 that does not involve a complete frame off resto? I went through about 30 pages last night and gave up. I am a newbie 40 owner https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=142726&highlight=wtf+day and will be starting my thread soon, but wanted to do some research on what to do first, but all the threads I found started with the frame off...I will do that someday, I want to get it on the road ASAP...or off-road ASAP. :) Thanks.

Timm

I am doing a resto that is NOT a frame-off. I chose this approach for 2 reasons: (1) its an AZ truck and there is no rust, and (2) I have seen a LOT of people take trucks apart, then never finish the job because of a whole bunch of reasons (lazy, discouraged, divorce, have kids, new job, etc....) and all of a sudden a thread shows up...."FS: Lots of Parts....Email me.....":crybaby:

If the truck stays drivable, you are much more likely to stick with it.

Having said that, I started with the basics:
1. Mechanically sound (engine, drivetrain, brakes, axles)?
2. Electrically sound?

Until these 2 are taken care of, the truck project should go no further. If they are not good, then you have wide-open options....What do I want to do with the vehicle (DD? Rock crawler? Restoration? etc). Then break it down by priority and money availability, and tinker with it. Take it one sub-project at a time, and keep it running!

I completed some interior stuff, doing rollcage and electrical, and I also have been working on upgrading axles, suspension, brakes, and steering. A lot to chew off, but key items. I plan on taking the truck apart for no more than 3 days at a time. Then later this year I will move to transmission, t-case, and possibly rock-box. After that, who knows? I just want to wheel it.

Just my $0.02 :beer:

God, don't read my web site! You will get discouraged quick!

Mine didn't start as a frame off, it just sort of morphed into one on it's own...

I'm at the lowest, most depressing, point on the build. EVERYTHING is in pieces scattered all over my basement, funds are running low, Cruiser time is starting to get hard to come by and the wife is really starting to get angry about the state the basement is in! (She can't park in the garage...)

So I 100% agree, keep it running as you work on it one thing at a time.

mine still is not "frame off" I'm just trying to get the rusted body panels off and fixed I don't know if I'm going frame off or not just trying to stay on top of it and get it done.

my build link is at the bottom :flipoff2:

im just working on the basics, my truck came with a blown motor and sat since 95 behind someones house in the woods. swapped the mtor, new brake lines, new oil lines, new clutch and new lines, electrical has been gone over, added an ome lift. getting new rims and tires in the next couple of weeks and it will be driven for the summer. i want to see how it rides before making any changes that may not be necessary for the type of driving i do. paint will wait a while as i know its going to get a little scratched up this summer. to do a frame off resto i would think you would need to have one to drive and one to work on

I did a frame off and although it was fun, it was a LOT OF WORK for someone who had to move the 40 twice during the build! And that sucked big time!

If the frame is solid and there are places where there is rust that you can get to, you can leave it on. I could have done a frame on but I found it a lot easier to take it all apart. It was not that difficult. It's not a porshe after all!

Sub-system at a time. Take lots of pictures. Get a FSM and a Toyota EPC. Customize your searches on e-bay for parts. Make it a habbit to check the for sale stuff here on mud and pirate.

If you take it off the frame you might be a little horrified at what you may find!:eek:

The main thing is to enjoy the journey no matter which way you go.

Good advice from JGM on post #2 to get you going!

I strongly agree with Trekker and JGM, do it a bit at a time. I rebuilt a '57 Chevy convert years ago; tore it apart, it took three years to get it back together half-a##. By that time I hated it,:frown: since it represented three crappy years of hard work with no fun. Keep it running while you rebuild, you'll be lots happier. :cheers:

I've done many body on frame resto's, I always start with the rust. I wouldn't buy a truck that wasn't mechanically sound. So, in order, assuming it's in pretty good running condition (the only kind I would buy)
Rust
Body work
Paint
Replace all weather strip with Toyota
Ditto window runs
Replace all lighting
Remove and toss all non stock accesorys
Return each part of the truck to the correct style, color, and pattern as new
New tires
New wheels
New shocks
New brakes