Big Easy 40 Blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I posted to the classifieds being green at all this forum shenanigans . It was suggested I post here with better results by 65swb45 (whom apparently I’m not allowed to start a convo with , or what I’m promoted when I try to PM or start a convo with). Again fairly new to posting on forums and maybe I’m not doing something right . Or maybe his preference not positive . Never the less I was searching for some parts (windshield frame / hood ) most importantly but the list goes on.. And also trying to get some carb advice as I’m having a few issues with my new fj40 . Will start and run as long as I’m on the gas forcing her to drink her favorite spritzer of ethanol shell mid grade . After a bit of tinkering I noticed a leak from what appeared to be the fuel pump , a closer look presented hoses that were cracked and seen better days so I replaced both hoses one coming from tank to pump and from pump to carb. Both interrupted by in line filter and both showing the worst imaginable with sediment and an orangey fuel that was heart breaking . After first start with new hoses filter from tank confirmed my worst fears and persuaded the next step of my adventure . To unbolt the tank and clean it out without going any further . I was able to receive a message from one of the two carb wizards mentioned here in multiple forums but again all attempts to PM him result in I am not allowed to message him(possible human error on my end , but have PM’d others with no problem ) .. Judging from the evidence and the sound of engine even when giving it gas a carb rebuild and possible pump rebuild is both imperative and necessary … Was wondering what the consensus is on the Webber “”up grade”” or should I just have my carb rebuilt . I have a 57’ vw with dual 44 webbers , although the 2332cc engine requires them but they’ve always worked accordingly even being synchronized here in the muggy south. Also searching for ignition switch just incase someone reading this has a few parts laying around ….. Any and all info welcome . Thanks in advance for your time ! Happy New Year and may 24’ be the best year yet for all !!!!

IMG_3830.png

IMG_3827.png

IMG_3823.png

IMG_3828.jpeg

54f76807-6690-4f4b-9d18-bea3eb04a45c.jpeg

Start as you have done. Clean tank thoroughly. Add new fuel filter. Blow fuel lines leading to carb free of debris. Reconnect. Fire up. Check to see what your vacuum is at idle (should be round 18-20 inches). If vacuum is less, find your vac leaks and fix. Carb insulator between manifold and carb is a culprit. Check to see that fuel level in carb bowl is 50% of sight glass. If it still runs rough, hope your carb is not clogged which may need a rebuild. You can check the health of the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and crank to see if flow is healthy.

Start as you have done. Clean tank thoroughly. Add new fuel filter. Blow fuel lines leading to carb free of debris. Reconnect. Fire up. Check to see what your vacuum is at idle (should be round 18-20 inches). If vacuum is less, find your vac leaks and fix. Carb insulator between manifold and carb is a culprit. Check to see that fuel level in carb bowl is 50% of sight glass. If it still runs rough, hope your carb is not clogged which may need a rebuild. You can check the health of the fuel pump by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and crank to see if flow is healthy.
I thank you ! Had to get back to the less gratifying work that actually pays the bills but tank is next on my to do’s. Will need to investigate proper vac testing and required ¿gauge? to do so…. Thanks for your insight !
🙏🏼

To get a hold of 65swb45 you need to call him and leave a voice message and he will call you back. A Webber carb is considered a downgrade from stk. There are videos on YouTube by pinhead on rebuilding a stk carb. Or try and get ahold of @65swb45 or FJ40jim at tlc performance in Lancaster Ohio. Jim is not on here much, you probably need to get of him thru his websight or email. If you're in a hurry you might want to look at pinhead's videos.

To get a hold of 65swb45 you need to call him and leave a voice message and he will call you back. A Webber carb is considered a downgrade from stk. There are videos on YouTube by pinhead on rebuilding a stk carb. Or try and get ahold of @65swb45 or FJ40jim at tlc performance in Lancaster Ohio. Jim is not on here much, you probably need to get of him thru his websight or email. If you're in a hurry you might want to look at pinhead's videos.
I thank you ! Will definitely look into all of the above !
🙏🏼

So I posted to the classifieds being green at all this forum shenanigans . It was suggested I post here with better results by 65swb45 (whom apparently I’m not allowed to start a convo with , or what I’m promoted when I try to PM or start a convo with). Again fairly new to posting on forums and maybe I’m not doing something right . Or maybe his preference not positive . Never the less I was searching for some parts (windshield frame / hood ) most importantly but the list goes on.. And also trying to get some carb advice as I’m having a few issues with my new fj40 . Will start and run as long as I’m on the gas forcing her to drink her favorite spritzer of ethanol shell mid grade . After a bit of tinkering I noticed a leak from what appeared to be the fuel pump , a closer look presented hoses that were cracked and seen better days so I replaced both hoses one coming from tank to pump and from pump to carb. Both interrupted by in line filter and both showing the worst imaginable with sediment and an orangey fuel that was heart breaking . After first start with new hoses filter from tank confirmed my worst fears and persuaded the next step of my adventure . To unbolt the tank and clean it out without going any further . I was able to receive a message from one of the two carb wizards mentioned here in multiple forums but again all attempts to PM him result in I am not allowed to message him(possible human error on my end , but have PM’d others with no problem ) .. Judging from the evidence and the sound of engine even when giving it gas a carb rebuild and possible pump rebuild is both imperative and necessary … Was wondering what the consensus is on the Webber “”up grade”” or should I just have my carb rebuilt . I have a 57’ vw with dual 44 webbers , although the 2332cc engine requires them but they’ve always worked accordingly even being synchronized here in the muggy south. Also searching for ignition switch just incase someone reading this has a few parts laying around ….. Any and all info welcome . Thanks in advance for your time ! Happy New Year and may 24’ be the best year yet for all !!!!
1. You are correct about not being able to start a ‘ convo’ with me by PM. I’m old school. And after getting tired of telling several hundred people not to PM me, I just locked the box. Per my sig line, I do my business by telephone.

2. Good on you for posting here. While there are still occasional posts on this forum that make me shake my head, there are a lot of people, a couple of whom have already posted, that can help you zero in on diagnostics. As I said in your classified ad, if you ultimately determine that a carburetor rebuild is in order, and you would like me to do that, I will be happy to help. But you should definitely clean your tank first, and get some vacuum readings. Both of those things will effect ANY carburetor.

3. My opinion on aftermarket carbs is on the FAQ page of my website.

:cheers:

1. You are correct about not being able to start a ‘ convo’ with me by PM. I’m old school. And after getting tired of telling several hundred people not to PM me, I just locked the box. Per my sig line, I do my business by telephone.

2. Good on you for posting here. While there are still occasional posts on this forum that make me shake my head, there are a lot of people, a couple of whom have already posted, that can help you zero in on diagnostics. As I said in your classified ad, if you ultimately determine that a carburetor rebuild is in order, and you would like me to do that, I will be happy to help. But you should definitely clean your tank first, and get some vacuum readings. Both of those things will effect ANY carburetor.

3. My opinion on aftermarket carbs is on the FAQ page of my website.

:cheers:
One things for sure is I am a great listener and your advice has lead me to a wealth of information and direction towards trying to figure her out , so thanks for that . I pondered on your PM preferences and definitely drew closer to it being the way it is not by accident but your own doing . I am old school as well hence my forum phobias and lack of truly understanding how they work . Never the less I thank you and all the others that I’ve taken the time to try and help me out . I’ll be going through the system starting at tank as mentioned and hoping for the best . I would most definitely appreciate your services should my carb require them . Thanks again!

One things for sure is I am a great listener and your advice has lead me to a wealth of information and direction towards trying to figure her out , so thanks for that . I pondered on your PM preferences and definitely drew closer to it being the way it is not by accident but your own doing . I am old school as well hence my forum phobias and lack of truly understanding how they work . Never the less I thank you and all the others that I’ve taken the time to try and help me out . I’ll be going through the system starting at tank as mentioned and hoping for the best . I would most definitely appreciate your services should my carb require them . Thanks again!
That HAVE taken the time to try and help me out ^^^^^^^^ typo correction ..

Got back on my 40 today and was able to pull the tank . As suspected there was a bit of gunk , set tank aside and disconnected all lines from carb . Removed hard line from return line to tank and sprayed with carb cleaner and blew out . Replaced all soft lines I had not replaced previously . Didn’t get to tank today but plan on doing so in the AM . I plan on replacing the smaller lines from carb to manifold and to distributor . I did notice a few things on carb that do not seem correct ( basing this on pictures/posts etc) not my specialty . I’ve attached a few pix with hopes to get some clarity ..
TNX

IMG_3937.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_3927.jpeg

IMG_3930.jpeg

Definitely a few things to tidy up there. I’m sure we will get it sorted out.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom