4 years in the making new 80 Series Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They told me it was so rusty that they would need to rebuild the entire axle. It really isnt that rusty, I didn't get a good feeling about the shop after them telling me all of this. Then they told me I overpaid for the 80 series (12k plus tax and title). I already ordered the Valve Cover Gasket and it looks really easy to fix.
Seriously? Scrape off the rust and paint it with POR 15. Rust on the housing has dick all to do with what it's like inside. Find another shop pronto.

Seriously? Scrape off the rust and paint it with POR 15. Rust on the housing has dick all to do with what it's like inside. Find another shop pronto.
Oh I did, and that shop has been amazing. Run by one mechanic, who owns Toyotas. I don't mind paying him because he's a small mom and pop local business.

Oh I did, and that shop has been amazing. Run by one mechanic, who owns Toyotas. I don't mind paying him because he's a small mom and pop local business.
OK cool. Sounded like you had some concern with the shop. So how did he diagnose a third member rebuild from looking at the housing? From the pinion or other seal/backlash issues sure, but that is not what you indicated. Anyway glad you're happy.

Your Cruiser is beautiful and I love the preservation story.

That's a beautiful rig. Mine looked a lot like that when I bought it 8 years ago. 35K miles, a lot of trails, and a lot of smiles later, it looks quite different.
Enjoy your Cruiser. These are great trucks.

OK cool. Sounded like you had some concern with the shop. So how did he diagnose a third member rebuild from looking at the housing? From the pinion or other seal/backlash issues sure, but that is not what you indicated. Anyway glad you're happy.
Are you referring to the first shop that looked at my 80? I'm not sure, however I havent been back there since.

Your Cruiser is beautiful and I love the preservation story.
Thank you, this spring she will get brand new OEM Catalytic Converters as well as a muffler and tailpipe. I also have to address the rear Pinion Seal. I love driving this Land Cruiser. And I intend to preserve and use it for many many years to come.

That's a beautiful rig. Mine looked a lot like that when I bought it 8 years ago. 35K miles, a lot of trails, and a lot of smiles later, it looks quite different.
Enjoy your Cruiser. These are great trucks.
Wow that says a lot considering mine has 193,000 miles, im glad the previous owners took care of it. I'm sure they'd be glad to know that today it is still well taken care of.

Wow that says a lot considering mine has 193,000 miles, im glad the previous owners took care of it. I'm sure they'd be glad to know that today it is still well taken care of.
I have not gone to the level or "restoration" that you have. I bought my truck from a neighbor, who bought it from friends of theirs (the original purchaser) The original owner stopped by to see the friends and inquired about the truck. She was delighted to see it on the road and to know that I had already put another 60K miles on it since I owned it and it was in better shape now than it was when they sold it.

It's a cool feeling to hear that from an original owner.

I have not gone to the level or "restoration" that you have. I bought my truck from a neighbor, who bought it from friends of theirs (the original purchaser) The original owner stopped by to see the friends and inquired about the truck. She was delighted to see it on the road and to know that I had already put another 60K miles on it since I owned it and it was in better shape now than it was when they sold it.

It's a cool feeling to hear that from an original owner.
I wouldn't consider my 80 a restoration, just a refresh. The undercarriage has some surface rust that will eventually be addressed, and then it's all about preserving and enjoying and maintaining the 80. People always ask me if I'll sell now that I stand to make a profit on what I have invested in the vehicle. I laugh and tell them I wouldn't because there's nothing else Id really want except another 80. I love the idea of rescuing this rig and preserving it from these harsh Illinois winters and driving out west every year and explore places I wouldn't be able to get to, and take my son along for the ride and have his early childhood memories in the backseat of my Land Cruiser. I'd love to meet the original owner of my vehicle and hear about the day they purchased it. I wonder if previous owners check or even know about this forum.

Going under the knife this week! New Heater Control Valve, Downpipe Exhaust with cat, OTRAMM stainless exhaust, 3rd row sliding window overhaul, OEM vacuum hoses, curved Heater hoses, and thermostat. The only thing I haven't replaced is the radiator which is still going strong with new hoses and coolant. I believe I've documented everything I've replaced on this thread. All preventative maintenance, nothing has ever broke on me in 2 years. She looks great clean or dirty.

20210403_173312.jpg

20210403_153822.jpg

Which downpipe are you using? I need to finally replace mine. Welds aren’t holding up anymore and I’m tired of hearing and smelling exhaust leaks.

Which downpipe are you using? I need to finally replace mine. Welds aren’t holding up anymore and I’m tired of hearing and smelling exhaust leaks.
I went OEM for the Downpipe. McGeorge Toyota was able to ship that, but they couldn't ship the muffler and tailpipe. So I went OTRAMM for that.

Quick update on my 80 series, I have gone down in tire size, for two reasons, to get a bit nicer ride, and it is quite a bit refreshing to see highway tires on a clean 80 series. I love this look, and realistically I don't take the Land Cruiser onto more than a Forest Service road. I feel and have read on here that the Michelin Defender LTX will be more than adequate on the trails I plan to go on. My new size is the factory 275/70R16, running at 32 PSI per factory spec. Also took the 80 to get fully detailed, I even told the shop to apply Clay Bar. My close friend told me that this is how the 80 series looked new in the 90s, I couldn't help but agree. Driving it is like being in a time capsule. The driver side rear fender doesn't line up with the front rear fender flare, im pretty sure when I had that fender repainted, the painter forgot to put the bracket back on, so now the upper nut always comes loose going down the road. My next small project I guess!

IMG_20210620_165040_303.jpg

20210620_113019.jpg

Quick update on my 80 series, I have gone down in tire size, for two reasons, to get a bit nicer ride, and it is quite a bit refreshing to see highway tires on a clean 80 series. I love this look, and realistically I don't take the Land Cruiser onto more than a Forest Service road. I feel and have read on here that the Michelin Defender LTX will be more than adequate on the trails I plan to go on. My new size is the factory 275/70R16, running at 32 PSI per factory spec. Also took the 80 to get fully detailed, I even told the shop to apply Clay Bar. My close friend told me that this is how the 80 series looked new in the 90s, I couldn't help but agree. Driving it is like being in a time capsule. The driver side rear fender doesn't line up with the front rear fender flare, im pretty sure when I had that fender repainted, the painter forgot to put the bracket back on, so now the upper nut always comes loose going down the road. My next small project I guess!

View attachment 2710989

View attachment 2710991

I love this factory look! I bet it drives super quiet and smooth. Neck breaker for me for sure. Enjoy.

Given you have an aftermarket windshield and observing the condition of its gasket from pic above, I'd look to order front and rear OEM gaskets stat as rust may lurk beneath. It'd suck to spend so much time and money restoring this truck bit by bit only to find out so late in the game.

IIRC, factory front and rear glass are NLA.

Last edited:
The Michelin's are the most comfortable tire you can put on a solid axle 4x4. I've got a set on one of my vehicles and they handle great. Your cruiser looks showroom new, keep it clean and stock!

I love this factory look! I bet it drives super quiet and smooth. Neck breaker for me for sure. Enjoy.

Given you have an aftermarket windshield and observing the condition of its gasket from pic above, I'd look to order front and rear OEM gaskets stat as rust may lurk beneath. It'd suck to spend so much time and money restoring this truck bit by bit only to find out so late in the game.

IIRC, factory front and rear glass are NLA.
There are a few spots of rust under the windshield, next spring I'll address those issues as well as replace the front windshield gasket, ill order a few gaskets now. I wanted to order a front Windshield, but didn't pull the trigger fast enough. One thing I don't like that the previous owner did was not install an OEM glass given how clean the vehicle is. The rear hatch has no rust inside or around the glass, I had to chase down a rattle last summer back there. I appreciate the kind words! Few people around here know what it is which I don't mind. I do occasionally get stopped and asked about it.

The Michelin's are the most comfortable tire you can put on a solid axle 4x4. I've got a set on one of my vehicles and they handle great. Your cruiser looks showroom new, keep it clean and stock!
Only thing that is aftermarket is the Slee Slidersteps, which should've came with the 80 series brand new!

Any ideas other than mine about the flare brackets being missing from the driver side rear flare? That nut always comes loose as I go down the road. OEM mud flaps if that matters.

20210622_193749.jpg

20210622_193757.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom