3RZ-FE swaps...how fast did people complete them? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to Moab the 1st weekend of October. I am waffling on whether I should start a 3RZ swap on my 85 4Runner before the trip. I won't be able to start the project until mid August. I do have all parts ready and waiting. I will be purchasing a low mileage JDM engine. All the other parts (harnesses, etc) are from one donor vehicle.
There is nothing wrong with the 22RE in my 4Runner, it's super reliable, and I have only put about 40k miles on it since rebuilding it in 2009.

I'd be interested to see how fast people did this swap.

Done it in 13 days after work

2.5 Years and counting :rofl:. I'm doing a down to the frame complete rebuild in addition to the swap, so probably not a fair comparison.

I don’t think the swap is very time consuming. It’s making sure you have everything you need, on hand, when you start. And dealing with the “while I’m in there” repairs/cleanups and whatever you break along the way. It depends on your shop capabilities too - are you working in a gravel lot or a fully equipped facility?

If the motor is ready to go in and you have your wiring harnesses built (or purchased) its a pretty simple thing to pull the 22RE and pop in the 3rz assuming no stripped/broken bolts Or missing pieces that you have to order and wait on.

My buddy did one in about a month along with dual cases and adding in the 3rz A/C. He didn’t have kids, a job where he could “work from home” a lot of the time, and a full Donor vehicle at his disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom