3FE Xaust Mans on 2F head/CArb'd Intake (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rehashing this. I want an easy way to move the exhaust pipes out from under the frame, I don't mind losing a little performance, and want it to be as clean and stock looking as possible. The way I see it is this:

(3FE engine)

2F headers and full exhasut kit made for an FJ60
3FE exhaust manifolds with custom y-pipe and reuse the cat-back I've had under the car for about 8-9 years.

Man-a-fre has a new FJ60 full exhaust kit for 1000 big ones.
Is that more economical than getting a custom y-pipe? Keep in mind I would expect said y-pipe to look like a production part.

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa6/FJ60CompleteExhaustSystem1980-1987.htm

Sorry in advance for starting a discussion exactly opposite the original thread topic.

Dude, keep it simple and run the 3FE manifolds to a custom y pipe. both my pipes drop inside the frame rails. they run back a bit then y to the muffler- I almost went full duals and an H pipe; mebee still will ;)

if the custom pipe is going to cost half of a name brand 120 volt MIG welder, then spend your money wisely...

OK I'm sold. Looking into performance exhaust shops locally now. Is this setup on your 62 or 55?

on the 55 with the fj60 transmission and tcase, but the frame rails are closer on it than the 62(62 is wider), so you should be fine. Are you still running the transmixer or did you upgrade to a stick and clutch? the A440 might be too much of a space hog...Check the pics I have on the linked thread in the 40s forum to see about where the pipes can run...

I have an h41 + early splitcase, most of my "Poverty pack conversion" along with manual windows. I used the Toyota cross-member but I don't see any reason that there shouldn't be enough room because FJ60's ran pipe through there, you said there are two separate pipes all the way to the muffler, so two separate pipes between the transmission and frame? What diameter? I'm wondering if the factory FJ60 setup has them merge before or after the transmission and if it makes any difference besides material costs.

Also did you make it yourself? Just curious, not planning on it but I know you are a much more experienced fabber than I.

fabber my arse...I did twist them myself, they are 2 1/8" diameter...look at the pics to see how far apart they are...a couple inches maybe..

OK one last question. Not doing this but was wondering it it was possible.

3FE (EFI) intake manifold matched with 3F (carb) exhaust manifold.

Would they line up? The reason I ask is that 3F exhaust manifolds are damn sexy.

they are neat, but would have a completely different dual drop than the 3FE manis, and I personally don 't see them flowing as much as the 3FE dumpers...I do not know if the FE intake and carbd exhaust can work...actually, they can't. the 3F exhaust has a huge gaping hole in the top of it where it mates to the 3F intake, the 3FE manifolds are completely stand alone from the intake...they really are the best cast iron manifold to use, I think...just look at them...

Yeah I'm using them just musing a bit.

@LAMBCRUSHER still holding up good? What manifold gasket did you use? I'm thinking about doing this in my FJ60 cuz the 2F exhaust is falling apart and I have a 3FE exhaust. I did a test fit and noted interference of the underside of the 2F intake with the 3FE pipes. Instead of milling the exhaust I think I'll add 1/2 washers to the intake.

the idea of having custom 2 step spacer washers made to bridge the gap of girth between the two manifolds seems like the "right" way to do that, looking back on it. The only real permanent mod besides the flange on the exhaust, were the relief cuts to the base of the intake- there's no going back with the intake after cutting it, and I'm not sure enough could be removed from the exhaust to prevent the need to cut the intake. my only issue now is smog. I sooo wish I could rig a heat riser, and an egr cooler and take off; I'd try to get it thru the ref, but it's a fools mission to try. That said, I'd rather stick an old 3FE block and a 74F head in it with the stock exhaust, carb and smog than take the duals off the hot 2F, so it has been resting in pasture as I gather momentum...AKA/ fj62, :doh:.:steer:;) ....

let me put it like this; for any F series engine I own and don't have to smog, 3FE exhaust manifolds will be my go-to build spec, with more attention paid to where reliefs should be and having proper spacer/washers made...

I've a 90 fj62 and wanna get the exhaust out from under my frame from the downs back and delete the kitty's. Any Info/tips you got would be great. Fixn'a do the smog delete, just waiting on parts and weld shop to finish ERG plate. Looking forward to the extra space under the hood.

Well, I recently replaced the cats on my fj62, but left the pipes in their factory position- the work detailed in this thread regards an fj60 drivetrain in an fj55; so slightly different than the bumps in your path. I used some walker brand hanger/bushings that I got from summit for arount 4 bucks a piece. they'll do better than the factory bushings which have a tendency to tear in two. I think I used about 5 total. get new fasteners, keep the bends to minimals and dump after the bumper(at) but not before. hth

Thanks for the tips, gonna weld a custom bumper on the back and will dump afta. I'm gonna de smog so this baby can breath and run 2" min exhaust. Fixna do custom bed liner coated door panels for my fj62 and HJ61 (4 kids) gonna do a process to be repeated for the 60 series, if anyone's interested. Haven't seen any out there.

the idea of having custom 2 step spacer washers made to bridge the gap of girth between the two manifolds seems like the "right" way to do that, looking back on it. The only real permanent mod besides the flange on the exhaust, were the relief cuts to the base of the intake- there's no going back with the intake after cutting it, and I'm not sure enough could be removed from the exhaust to prevent the need to cut the intake. my only issue now is smog. I sooo wish I could rig a heat riser, and an egr cooler and take off; I'd try to get it thru the ref, but it's a fools mission to try. That said, I'd rather stick an old 3FE block and a 74F head in it with the stock exhaust, carb and smog than take the duals off the hot 2F, so it has been resting in pasture as I gather momentum...AKA/ fj62, :doh:.:steer:;) ....

let me put it like this; for any F series engine I own and don't have to smog, 3FE exhaust manifolds will be my go-to build spec, with more attention paid to where reliefs should be and having proper spacer/washers made...

What did you end up doing here?
Did you get EGR installed?
Did you get through CA smog?

What did you end up doing here?
Did you get EGR installed?
Did you get through CA smog?

It’s considered a 73, so no cali smog😁. I’ve got the quarter still plugging that hole. The have a nice plug from @Godwin - thanks man!!! But still haven’t put it in.

It’s considered a 73, so no cali smog😁. I’ve got the quarter still plugging that hole. The have a nice plug from @Godwin - thanks man!!! But still haven’t put it in.

:lol: :lol: I think the t-shirt I got in trade has long since become a rag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom