3fe - Very high idle, now won't start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a little issue with my 88 FJ62. Got in this morning to go to work and started it up and it promptly died. Tried it again and it died again. Finally started up and idled nice and I figured just something in the fuel line or water or something. Then as I was driving to work, I noticed the idle was super high. Like 2500 rpms when I put it in neutral. So I got it to work (a bit scary trying to stop with an auto) and shut it down and now it wont start. I havent looked at it yet but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Andy

Throttle sticking? Hand throttle pulled out? I don't think it should be able to idle that high with the throttle plate closed, unless the Idle Speed Control valve (thing on intake chamber in front of the throttle body) has that much adjustment in it. If the throttle isn't bound up, try giving the ISC valve a love tap.

That's a bad reading for the water temp sensor. Either the sensor itself, or the wiring to it. Possibly the ECU, but I doubt that.

The temp sensor looks to be under the top rad hose at the thermostat housing, found behind the cold start injector switch.
tempsens.jpg

Right-on RockDoc. I got a reading of .08 kohms when the chart says I should be around 2. Sensor looks to be bad. Man I have to get one of those manuals...

Andy

:cheers:

Ha, pick up an FSM, and you too can look like you know what's going on! (I just followed the code breakdown and went to the referenced page, never dealt with this myself).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom