3FE Rear Brake Drum Adjustment After New Shoes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I'm sure this is universal across all brake drums but this is my first time changing out the hardware, shoes, and drums. I've got everything set up properly according to the FSM but cannot get the brake shoes tight against the drum even after pulling on the ebrake cable multiple times to tighten it up. Here's how the new hardware is sitting inside the drum.

1605137994324.png
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Couple things to check.
1. Hard to tell in your picture but the plate marked with an "R" has a hole where a peg from the adjuster sits on. I don't see that peg in your picture but it is hard to tell. You can see it in my picture below. If it is in place also try moving the adjuster with a screw driver to see that it actually latches and adjusts the brakes while you are looking at it.
IMG_20200425_084141.jpg

2. It is possible that your parking brake adjusting cable sleeve has lost integrity and the little metal rings that move the "lower lever" looking thing are not working. I don't remember what exactly that thing with the teeth moved but I thought it important at the time to get fixed. This happened to me on both passenger and driver side rear brakes at two different times. Purchased replacements at dealership and Cruiser Outfitters. Cruiser Outfitters was a much better price on that little cable.
IMG_20200330_095408.jpg

3. If all the stuff at the break looks fine check your actual parking brake cable for slack and what not.

Practice using a flat screw drive from the back of your drum to adjust the shoes. Then slack off the adjusters and install the drums.
You will want to adjust the pads till you feel resistance to the wheel turning, check out your hand brake and take her for a spin.
Adjust hand brake if required. Done properly the hand brake does work.

The key with new brake shoes is to keep working the handbrake during adjustment to allow the shoes to sit snug inside the drum.
I use a large screwdriver to pry up the bell crank on the side I'm adjusting.

Spin the knurled adjuster until you feel resistance while rotating the wheel, work the bell crank a few times.
Adjuster, bell crank. Adjuster, bell crank.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

This makes sure the shoes are seated correctly inside the drum and are making good contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom