3FE Owners Check-In (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you plan to regear? 410 and 35s will be awful pulling grades...
This. If I bought another auto 3FE I'd go straight to 4.88, unless I was going to be in the 33"-35" tire range, then I'd go straight to 5.29. Gearing on my manual truck is effectively equivalent to 5.07 with the auto and it's sooo happy there. I can do 55mph at 2200rpm or 80mph at 3000rpm, the engine is happy at both. Being higher in the rev band means you're always in the power. And, even with the increase in rpms my highway MPG is up, evidence the engine is under less strain.

This. If I bought another auto 3FE I'd go straight to 4.88, unless I was going to be in the 33"-35" tire range, then I'd go straight to 5.29. Gearing on my manual truck is effectively equivalent to 5.07 with the auto and it's sooo happy there. I can do 55mph at 2200rpm or 80mph at 3000rpm, the engine is happy at both. Being higher in the rev band means you're always in the power. And, even with the increase in rpms my highway MPG is up, evidence the engine is under less strain.
w/ my 488 and high range underdrive TC gear, i am close to 5.29...doing a little shy of 3k @ 70mph....seems to be perfect for the 3F-E

So, I just picked up my FIRST! 80, It's 1991 running on 31.5x10.5x15, looking to up grade to 33, but was told I need wide rim's as I'm running on OEM 15's. Need some help, do I buy 16's rims or stay on OEM 15's? Thanks

So, I just picked up my FIRST! 80, It's 1991 running on 31.5x10.5x15, looking to up grade to 33, but was told I need wide rim's as I'm running on OEM 15's. Need some help, do I buy 16's rims or stay on OEM 15's? Thanks
Pics of the vehicle side angle

Pics of the vehicle side angle
I was told by the tire shop the OEM rim is only 6 inch wide, and I need a rim with 8 inch wide rim.

IMG-8761.jpg

IMG-8762.jpg

Wondering if I can get peoples feedback about there experience with the 3fe engine on there 80 series.. I am looking into one with 147k miles and I hear so many people telling me to stay away from 91 and 92. So any help would be greatly appreciated
I got 265k on mine, its been thru 8 POs, stuck in the mud past the headlights, and driven the rubicon multiple times without a lift. What the **** are u scared of…11mpg?

Not scared many say not worth buying
Any 1FZ-FE owner, aka the majority on MUD will tell you 3F-E is not worth buying. It has been this way for as long as i can remember. But let me ask you this...Is it worth buying a 1FZ and spend the premium on a rig that most likely will require an engine rebuild? Do a search on MUD, the HG issues regularly comes up. I would never touch a 1FZ-FE, i have seen too many with HG issues and honestly, they are just as slow when loaded up with gears and big tires...Besides the F engines is what makes the Land Cruiser, simple and reliable.

Any 1FZ-FE owner, aka the majority on MUD will tell you 3F-E is not worth buying. It has been this way for as long as i can remember. But let me ask you this...Is it worth buying a 1FZ and spend the premium on a rig that most likely will require an engine rebuild? Do a search on MUD, the HG issues regularly comes up. I would never touch a 1FZ-FE, i have seen too many with HG issues and honestly, they are just as slow when loaded up with gears and big tires...Besides the F engines is what makes the Land Cruiser, simple and reliable.
What happens if Iift a 3fe 2 inches and then put 35 inch tires. Even slower? This is an honest question..

What happens if Iift a 3fe 2 inches and then put 35 inch tires. Even slower? This is an honest question..
You will want to re-gear. in stock trim the 3FE is a good runner, but between the parasitic drain of the auto and the larger tires, you will not be happy.

for a 35, I am going to say 4.88 is where I'd land. I ran 5.29s on 35s for years and the motor and trans just didn't seem super happy. I just stepped up to a 37 and the shift points and rpm band seems much happier.

When I bought my rig years ago, it was on 35s with stock gears and it was a complete dog. Pulling just about any slight incline, it would be all the way down in 2nd gear and we'd be going 35 up the hill.

you might get by with a small 33 and be ok on stock ratio, but if you get into 35s you are going to want to look at gears, or be prepared to rarely see overdrive.

I tend to agree with @Marco Lau the 3FE is kind of like the 3.0 of the land cruiser world. It gets a bad rap because it was the last generation before they came out with something better. Everyone loves the 2F in their 40s and 60s, but the 3F is junk. Its not junk, it is what it is, a tractor motor that will pull for days. the old cruisers have never been known for speed, but then they got a 1F, then v8s and all of a sudden people want them to be sports cars. They aren't. A well tuned 3F will just keep on on chugging along.

But if you get into tires, you are going to want gears.

You will want to re-gear. in stock trim the 3FE is a good runner, but between the parasitic drain of the auto and the larger tires, you will not be happy.

for a 35, I am going to say 4.88 is where I'd land. I ran 5.29s on 35s for years and the motor and trans just didn't seem super happy. I just stepped up to a 37 and the shift points and rpm band seems much happier.

When I bought my rig years ago, it was on 35s with stock gears and it was a complete dog. Pulling just about any slight incline, it would be all the way down in 2nd gear and we'd be going 35 up the hill.

you might get by with a small 33 and be ok on stock ratio, but if you get into 35s you are going to want to look at gears, or be prepared to rarely see overdrive.

I tend to agree with @Marco Lau the 3FE is kind of like the 3.0 of the land cruiser world. It gets a bad rap because it was the last generation before they came out with something better. Everyone loves the 2F in their 40s and 60s, but the 3F is junk. Its not junk, it is what it is, a tractor motor that will pull for days. the old cruisers have never been known for speed, but then they got a 1F, then v8s and all of a sudden people want them to be sports cars. They aren't. A well tuned 3F will just keep on on chugging along.

But if you get into tires, you are going to want gears.
Is gearing expensive?

i am running 37s, with sliders, bumpers, winch and tons of tools. I am on 4.88 w/ High range underdrive, so equivalent to 529 w/ a Nomad Valve body upgrade, and I can pull grade w/ AC and still able to pass 18 wheelers and tow rigs. I can do 55-60 @ 5-7% grade in 3rd. It is by no means fast in todays standard, but how many rigs can do 80 mph up steep passes on 37s?

i am running 37s, with sliders, bumpers, winch and tons of tools. I am on 4.88 w/ High range underdrive, so equivalent to 529 w/ a Nomad Valve body upgrade, and I can pull grade w/ AC and still able to pass 18 wheelers and tow rigs. I can do 55-60 @ 5-7% grade in 3rd. It is by no means fast in todays standard, but how many rigs can do 80 mph up steep passes on 37s?
True

Oh BTW. I had my rig on stock gear on 33s 35s. 488 for 35s and 37s and now T- case with High range underdrive and 3:1 crawler gears. And I said this before and saying this again. Re-gearing is a must for the 3F-E when you upgrade to larger tires. 488 and 35 is a sweet spot, but 529 and 37 is honestly the best setup so far for me. I was able to gain 1-2 mpg w/ the T-case underdrive as the extra RPM keeps me in the power band between 2800-3500 rpm and i was able to keep it in OD, 65-70mph @ ~3k rpm. and not having to downshift to 3rd or 2nd, I regularly go on long trips with my brother's JKU, and i am dead even when comes to pulling steep grade even though his rig has 100 more HP on paper. We both on 37s and heavy...just food for thought...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom