3FE Owners Check-In (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed my mind, and am gonna make a database out of this thread for the FAQ on who to ask for what, etc.

Bird, no need to power flush the tranny. Just drop the pan and clean it out, put in more/new magnets if you wish, and fill 'er back up with some good lube of your choice. This bus tranny USUALLY doesn't have any issues (knock on wood). Glad to see there are more black sheep on this forum than I thought! 3FE POWA!

Love my 92. Just rolled over 100K in February. Hope to see it roll over a couple of more times before major service. Relatively stock w/ exhaust mods and a few bling things. Repainted original 4K1 color, clean and unblemished, inside and out. Anally maintained mechanically including synthetic fluids and grease throughout.

Thinking about possibly doing some tweaking on the head in the fall (shave, grind, and port/polish) to give it a little more testosterone. I have a bud that works at a machine shop.

And more important, the 3FE fraternity also has the best avatar on the board....

JKLubens your avatar is the clear winner ;p

fixes

'91 FJ80 Ms. Piggy 171,000

So far, in the 5 months Ive owned her-

Aftermarket radiator(all brass) water pump, power steering(aftermarket) rear main, front crank seal(3x by dealer and still leaking) oil pan and valve cover gaskets, new longfields, axle shafts, drive plate,side gears. The dealer bent me over on the seal thing, replacing the plate behind the timing gears(n00b me!). Took same stupid dealer 3x times to run valves right, under warranty.

Still to do: u-joints x4(thanks C-Dan for good price), non working rear pass window, cruise control problems, Clunks, and pesky damn oil leaks.

Happy with the radiator, 8000 trouble free miles so far, and the stock ride, performs in snow and ice well, but I have twice what she is worth tied up so far, with little end in sight. How can I stop the madness?

NEVER NEVER NEVER buy from a doctor on ebay!!!:mad:

'91 "5Runner" @ 135,000 miles

Maintenance/repairs: head gasket, radiator (2X), thermostat & various sensors, alternator, brakes (& LSPV), birfs, window regulator and various wiring.

Modifications: OME Heavy suspension, 33x12.5 BFG/AT on black steelies, re-geared to 4.88, ARB lockers F&R, swaybars removed, flares removed/holes braized, Safari snorkle, ARB front, IPF, Kaymar rear, 9,000 winch, brake controller & 7-pin harness, george's LEDs, JDM grab bar, 2nd & 3rd rows removed and floor covered in labrador fur. :D

Needed: valve adjustment, injectors, CC actuator, cat

Last edited:
92 80 with 265K. Original Owner. Completely stock..!!! I am in Central Florida.

1990 FJ80

3F-E Engine - Rebuilded

Custom Exhaust

A440F tranny
No lockers
OME 2.5 lift
BFG M/T 35x12,5R15

1991 - 225K miles or so, can't really remember it keeps on running

In the last three months:
new brass radiator, new hoses, belts
New cats waiting for break in the rain to install
New 02 sensors, see above

OME medium 2.5" lift
Alpine w/aux input for GPS/MPS/XM
DELL Axim X5 for GPS

K&N and new OEM O2 sensors(problem area), tune up and fluids. That is all.
See sig line.
:cool:

91 FJ80 w/ 137K miles in Afton VA.

Future trail rig once my kidneys give out from driving the 40.

Mods: small dent on the passenger side fender where the wife hit a deer. Actually she was driving up the mountain so the deer probably hit her :D

In the market for a passengers side marker light if anybody has one to sell.

92 cruiser with 3FE, two major problems were radiator which was replaced at about 100k and biggest issue was fuel pump, no one could figure it out untill a couple months ago, other than that cruiser runs great.

Sacramento, CA

Question for you 3FE guys living in the mountains. I live in Colorado and currently have a 97 FJZ - which is going to be the wifes. I found a 92 with 62K miles that I am seriously considering getting. I was wondering how these do going up mountain passes. I don't go into the mountains all too often, but make a few trips a year. Are they fairly gutless going up the passes, or do they hold their own? I'm not looking for a speedster - if I can hold 45 - 55mph I'm a happy camper. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Farley said:
Question for you 3FE guys living in the mountains. I live in Colorado and currently have a 97 FJZ - which is going to be the wifes. I found a 92 with 62K miles that I am seriously considering getting. I was wondering how these do going up mountain passes. I don't go into the mountains all too often, but make a few trips a year. Are they fairly gutless going up the passes, or do they hold their own? I'm not looking for a speedster - if I can hold 45 - 55mph I'm a happy camper. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Farley, my '92 can keep above 45, but on the steepest parts that is about it:crybaby: its the worst right when I get on I-70 and start heading up. I do have 35's, but 4yrs ago I drove out to Colo from Kansas when I had 265/70/16 michelins and OME lift and IMO it didn't have anymore power then than it does now!:eek: SO...gutless to answer your question but take a test drive if you can and see for yourself. I have the pedal to the floor constantly anyway! Good luck

91 FJ80 88,000 miles.
Mostly stock.

Turbo muffler.
Brush gaurd and tail light covers off.
Step comming off soon.
Usual tune up stuff.
Custom hose clamp rattle stoppers on cat cover.
Reattached the drivers window track.

Bought mine one week ago today. Got some work to do, but nothing too big and nothing that I haven't already found a lot of good info on here... I'll be around for a while!

1991, 141K miles.

Going on one year of ownership already. Had to adjust kick down cable due to slipping when shifting. Upgraded shocks, brakes, tires. Full sound deadening along with speakers and Basslink. Many squeeks and rattles fixed. A few decent hack-job rust repairs. Clicking birf at full lock or near full lock, but the PO (a close family member) says it has been clicking for four years after a dealer birf job...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom