3FE Harmonic balancer groove (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey!

Working on a timing cover leak and got the harmonic balancer and timing cover off. Serious groove in the HB. Big ding (looks like pliers?) on the lip of the seal well. Searching other threads says the HB can be re-sleeved?

I’ve found a new Dayco HB online for $200.

Thoughts?

Motor has 360k miles on it.

BK

IMG_0029.jpeg

IMG_0030.jpeg

I had my HB walk off twice and while I didn't have that amount of grooving on mine, I replaced the HB with OEM, I think it's now NLA so that Dayco one is the next best. I ordered a sleeve kit and we found the tolerances to be way off and it was more of a headache than the shop or I wanted to deal with when replacing the HB was easier.

I would opt for a new balancer rather than a pulled part since I had an used part halfway through the repair efforts that was off center ever so slightly and it also walked off the crank.

Thanks-that’s what I’m thinking. What typically causes the groove?

That one pictured is shot without serious machine work. The Dayco is fine. Toyota OE is discontinued.

Fix the issue with the seal or Timing Cover that's causing that excessive groove

You may be able to find a good used Pulley if you want to go that route.

I'm not a machinist, so bear with me, but I believe it's due to the HB going off center and developing an elliptical rotation pattern that causes metal on metal contact over time. There's NVH rubber in the balancer that degrades with advanced age, causing wobble as a result.

As above ^^

When reinstalling the Timing cover, leave the bolts loose (and put them in the correct places, per the FSM as they are different lengths), then, install the HB and center the Timing Cover around it, THEN torque the cover bolts.

Thanks all for the input. Could damage to cover be a result of HB jumping?

This brings up something else-I’m de-smogging the rig (air pump) and removing A/C compressor. Does removing these two belt driven items cause HB to work harder to dampen? Do all the belts provide tension to lessen crank offset?

Thanks all for the input. Could damage to cover be a result of HB jumping?

This brings up something else-I’m de-smogging the rig (air pump) and removing A/C compressor. Does removing these two belt driven items cause HB to work harder to dampen? Do all the belts provide tension to lessen crank offset?
I haven’t heard of nor experienced any issues with these items being removed and resulting in balance issues.

no issues running 1 belt, there are alot of rigs still only running 1 belt from the 1960's and 1970's that came stock that way
I'm thinking you still need 2 belts tho, as you have PS and alternator

Thanks for all this-I’m going to order the Dayco HB today.

With the A/C comp removed, does the bracket for the A/C comp serve any purpose beyond the compressor? Can I get rid of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom