3B valve stem seal replacement (pics!) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I *think* I've found the source of my occasional stink and oil loss. (see https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/230352-missing-oil-mystery.html)

I don't see people talking about valve seals on 3B's much, but I found that 3 of them were loose, and 2 weren't even seated on the guides anymore, they were just floating up on the valve stem!!

Sadly, I couldn't get my hands on 8 seals, SOR only had 6 and I couldn't find ANY suppliers. I replaced 5, ruined one, and reused the tightest fitting of the old ones. :hillbilly:, I know.

Here are some pics, its an easy job...

#1 remove rocker cover and rocker ass'y.
#2 rig up a hose from your air compressor and set it to 90psi or so.
#3 i used a spare fitting from my compression tester set, if you do so, remember to drill out the schraeder valve inside it though.
IMG_4004-800.jpg
IMG_4008-800.jpg
IMG_4009-800.jpg

#4 attach the compressor hose to your fitting with a clamp, and apply valve spring compressor
#5 tap the spring compressor to break the keepers loose and remove them
#6 remove the springs
IMG_4011-800.jpg
IMG_4012-800.jpg
IMG_4017-800.jpg

#7 remove the old seal, just pull with a twist.
#8 install the new one. I used a socket to help push it down easily... they're TIGHT! so careful hammering is needed. I ended up ruining a seal by hammering it on cockeyed, beware!
#9 Voila! rinse, repeat.
IMG_4019-800.jpg
IMG_4020-800.jpg
IMG_4021-800.jpg

Great work Drew. (I especially like the compressed air idea.)

Thanks man I never thought of that as a potential problem. It is also comforting to know that I am not the only one with a disaster for a garage! :cheers:
g

I'm offended, thats the cleanest its ever been!! :D

Thanks a LOT for the writeup. I'm going to need to do this on mine soon and pics always help a lot! :)
:cheers:

What gap did you set the valves to cold? Is there a general rule of thumb on what the cold gap should be? I know that the valves supposed to be adjusted when the engine is at operating temp but there has to be some baseline that's used as an initial setting.

amaurer did this fix your oil usage problem,im doing my 12ht the same way tomorrow,ive got similar probs,good compression but chewing oil,keen to know how its going after you changed the seals

cheers goldchaser

amaurer did this fix your oil usage problem,im doing my 12ht the same way tomorrow,ive got similar probs,good compression but chewing oil,keen to know how its going after you changed the seals

cheers goldchaser

no. :crybaby::crybaby:

Its not that they didn't need to be replaced, as it was clear my old ones were toast, it just sadly didn't fix it. I don't know if thats cuz i damaged some of the new seals putting them on, or, more likely, my problem is just elsewhere. sigh.

Also, where does one get new valve seals for a 2H. I have the same problem with my truck. It eats some oil, especially on start-up but I have good compression. Searching reveals nothing in terms of seals anywhere. I don't want the chines crappy seals.

Those are the valve stem seals I need! Any idea on a source? Pretty old thread. Thanks;)

Hi all. This is a very old thread but I am reviving it to provide a (hopefully) helpful update.

For those of you that need replacement valve seals for a 3B, you have probably figured out that they are nearly impossible to find in North America.

Fortunately, JP-carparts in japan can get them for you at a reasonable price relative to everywhere else I've checked.

The OEM part number is 90913-02051. They were able to send me 12 OEM Seals for $81.66 USD INCLUDING SHIPPING COST.

I hope this will help other 3B owners keep their rigs running well.

-Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom