3B Turboed help me out again question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MY EGT is about 450 f to no more than 900 F at mid RPM even when i am going up hill at above 7000 feet . The boost is about 8 PSI with intercooler so when I reach 900F, i go easy on the gas till temp drops to about 750F or less . I USED the EGT and boost gauge and adjusted the fuel while going uphill to get the best setting so try to check it out and turn the screw 1/8 or even 1/16 at the time to get the max performance but keep the temp below 1000 for extended period time.

With a properly running and timed 3B turbo you should have no problems pulling hills. My '55 is timed correctly and boosts up to 9psi. I am running 3.70 gearing, H41 4 speed and 33" tires and have no problems. That means that I am about 16-17% over geared (I show about 16-17 less distance traveled than what I have actually done).

I believe 4.11 gear with 33" tires is about 3.70 with 30" tires which is in range -- I suspect the 32" tires are a bit low. Toy offered 3.70 or 4.11 with 30" tires.

Distance traveled with a given gear ration and tires size for one RPM (assumes 1:1 final gear)

DISTANCE = ((22/7)*DIAMETER)/GEAR'RATIO

If you check 33 w/4.11 you will see it is the same as 30 w/3.70

And another quick reply -- where you put the EGT probe is crucial. Before and after the turbo is the first question. I have 2 gauges on my F-350, one before and one after the turbo. Most of the time they are the same. Except at full throttle, the one before the turbo is several hundred degrees higher than after the turbo. Weirdly I have read that it should be even cooler after the turbo under low load, but I think not in my case.

Steel melts at 2500 degrees. Aluminum melts at 1218. Cast Iron at 2300.

If you put it in to your turbo at 1350 and it gets down to 1200 and then hits those aluminum bits in the engine ... bye bye engine.

On a 3B before the turbo I would use 1300 as an absolute sort-term max and 1250 as a run all temp. I saw several posts from people that say they run 1600-1700 all the time -- do not believe them!

And another quick reply -- where you put the EGT probe is crucial. Before and after the turbo is the first question. I have 2 gauges on my F-350, one before and one after the turbo. Most of the time they are the same. Except at full throttle, the one before the turbo is several hundred degrees higher than after the turbo. Weirdly I have read that it should be even cooler after the turbo under low load, but I think not in my case.

Steel melts at 2500 degrees. Aluminum melts at 1218. Cast Iron at 2300.

If you put it in to your turbo at 1350 and it gets down to 1200 and then hits those aluminum bits in the engine ... bye bye engine.

On a 3B before the turbo I would use 1300 as an absolute sort-term max and 1250 as a run all temp. I saw several posts from people that say they run 1600-1700 all the time -- do not believe them!

The temperatures shown for aluminum doesn't consider alloying, most pistons are made from an alloy, this feature(alloying) changes the physical properties of the component in this case the piston, alloy 2618 is a common alloy used in diesel pistons, the melt point for this alloy is 950C or 1742F.
Steel and iron have similar characteristics, the alloy content as well as carbon content changes the melt temperature.
Most steel has other metals added to tune its properties, like strength, corrosion resistance, or ease of fabrication. Steel is just the element iron that has been processed to control the amount of carbon. Iron, out of the ground, melts at around 1510C or 2750F. Steel often melts at around 1370C or 2500F, carbon steel has a melt point of 1550C or 2732F.

Jim

Last edited:
thanks fellas, I appreciate the info. I am gonna go back to 4.11's and go the the 255-85 r16'S which is right around 34" but still narrow but will do me a little better or same as I am now but I think performance wise will do better with the turbo?

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom