3B bearing set question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I ordered these a few months ago from Mag Engines in Dubai. Very attractive price, maybe now I know why. The tabs for half the shells are on the wrong side... And the set doesn't include the #3 thrust bearing. šŸ˜

PXL_20230905_025330742.MP.jpg

PXL_20230905_025259981.jpg

That can be painful trying to source the right set for those legacy motor ! So many confusing info.
Iā€™ve seen set with a wrong sticker over the good original sticker!!
Until somewhere around 83, the middle thrust bearing was part of the journal bearing shell. After, thrust where separate part and I believe need to be ordered separately.
Be aware of the camshaft bearing different model. Not sure if all three bearing engine had one size fits all but the five bearing engine had three different set!
Do you know the year of your engine, is it original to your truck?

That can be painful trying to source the right set for those legacy motor ! So many confusing info.
Iā€™ve seen set with a wrong sticker over the good original sticker!!
Until somewhere around 83, the middle thrust bearing was part of the journal bearing shell. After, thrust where separate part and I believe need to be ordered separately.
Be aware of the camshaft bearing different model. Not sure if all three bearing engine had one size fits all but the five bearing engine had three different set!
Do you know the year of your engine, is it original to your truck?
Not the original engine. It's a 3 journal cam, and integrated middle thrust bearing.

I have a 83 3B with the middle thrust integrated with shell and it turned free for some degree inside the bore. Engineā€™s been rebuilt and I think they bent/ grinded the tab to fit the shell (if I recall correctly, something was wrong with the tab position, not sure but I can check). Engine kept going for years after? When I took appart the engine, crank was scored, bearing shell antifriction was feathered down to the steel in some part.

M040Astd seem not to the right part for your engine.
If you search Partsouq with 1982 3B, you get several part number for crankshaft bearing, the first could be what you need, M035A

IMG_4082.png

I have a 83 3B with the middle thrust integrated with shell and it turned free for some degree inside the bore. Engineā€™s been rebuilt and I think they bent/ grinded the tab to fit the shell (if I recall correctly, something was wrong with the tab position, not sure but I can check). Engine kept going for years after? When I took appart the engine, crank was scored, bearing shell antifriction was feathered down to the steel in some part.

M040Astd seem not to the right part for your engine.
If you search Partsouq with 1982 3B, you get several part number for crankshaft bearing, the first could be what you need, M035A

View attachment 3421183
Looks like you're right. I ordered from Mag Engines, and they only have a stock photo that doesn't show the integrated thrust bearing. Somehow I missed it on the chart that the M035a kit is for 1980-1984 and the M040a is 84-up. Doh! I may ask them to exchange...I paid $30.63 + $20 for shipping, if anybody else is looking for 3B stuff.

M035A-R040A.jpg

M040A-R040A.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing to do wih the price, you ordered the wrong set. Any 3B bearings common to the 14B will only fit the 1988+ 3B, which was never supplied in North America.

Really hope you can sort it out, yeah the 3B is old and ā€¦but still it a really cool little engine
I appreciate your help getting me on the right track. Just ordered the M035A set, on sale for $25! The rod bearings are the same, so I should be all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom