HELP!! Toyota 3B handbrake/transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In need of help TIA, Few key details so please keep eye out.

So my Landrover Series 3 has a toyota 3B, gearbox and transfercase etc. I'm currently doing a as I go restoration. Currently I am trying to get my handbrake working again as it stopped working a few months ago.

When I originally did it, it worked fine and I topped up the oil in the transfercase.

Now to today. I pulled off the drum and congested oil (as per photo) started coming from the spline (so decided to drain whole thing). The thing is when I put the drum back in it completely stopped leaking but obv start once I take it out again.

So my question is, would there be a broken seal? Was there to much liquid in the transfercase?

Open to any and all suggestions.

20231015_161516.jpg

Is there any play in the transfer output shaft? One reason they leak is because the bearings are worn. Or the oil seal could be damaged, and/or the shaft worn where the seal rides. If the oil level was too high, check if the gearbox oil is low. That's fairly common on worn h55f boxes, that oil moves from the gearbox to the transfer, or vice versa.

I always put rtv on the splines before install. Some also use a seal housing where you can add 2 seals. Check play for sure and shaft for wear near sealing surface.

Sealant should be used on the splines, otherwise you tend to get a slow drip, but it stays outside the drum as far as I've seen.
Your drum looks like it has a wear mark where it contacts the seal - how bad is it? I fitted a speedisleeve on the drum and a new seal on the housing, and had no problems since.
Worn output bearing can exacerbate obv.

Also watch out for the seal leaking between the gearbox and transfer - common problem allows your gearbox oil into the transfer case.

Sealant should be used on the splines, otherwise you tend to get a slow drip, but it stays outside the drum as far as I've seen.
Your drum looks like it has a wear mark where it contacts the seal - how bad is it? I fitted a speedisleeve on the drum and a new seal on the housing, and had no problems since.
Worn output bearing can exacerbate obv.

Also watch out for the seal leaking between the gearbox and transfer - common problem allows your gearbox oil into the transfer case.
Do you have a link for the seal?

What wear marks in particular?

Is there any play in the transfer output shaft? One reason they leak is because the bearings are worn. Or the oil seal could be damaged, and/or the shaft worn where the seal rides. If the oil level was too high, check if the gearbox oil is low. That's fairly common on worn h55f boxes, that oil moves from the gearbox to the transfer, or vice versa.
Evening.

What seals and bearing would I be looking for? Any links?
Started leaking again so going to fix it while the engine is out.

(Also sidenote, is your PFP from the 4wd playground by ashurst?)

Cheers

Most information is in my thread here:

Most information is in my thread here:

Do you have a link for the seal or a name of the part that i can look up

The part number is in the very first post in the thread that I shared.

If you can't find it from there then I'm not sure I can help you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom