3B rough starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the last few times ive started up my 82 it seems to be super rough and smokey for the 1st minute. The smoke is blueish and it quits once i pull it out and start driving. Within a block it seems to be running normal. I only drive it every couple days and it sits inside the heated garage.

Ive always cycled the glows 3 times before starting as per the PO and its started like a dream. Never had any issues before even after sitting for weeks then starting up.

Check all your glow plugs. Having even one out can have a major impact. Any fuel leaking anywhere? Fuel leaks mean not only fuel is leaking out but air is replacing it and entering the system. It will self purge after running for a bit. I had the tinyest fuel leak and it made my cold starts suck. My pump was barely wet, no drips on the ground either.

Best way to check glow plugs?

Ill look closer tomorrow if i get a chance for any leaking fuel. Nothing evident from a quick look.

Glow plug test

How old is your hand primer? They let air in sometimes and so split ends on fuel lines.
Is the smoke puffing in time with one cylinder?

I found letting my glow cycle go until I hear the solenoid click instead of just watching the glow light seems to make for better starts. When mine sits for any length of time it always seems to have the same symptoms as yours in the winter. You could try following the owner's manual recommendation of setting the throttle lock to assist with cold starts.

Ok due to unknown age of my glows i was thinking of replacing anyways. After trying to read the FAQ my brain is full which ones do i need for my canadian spec 24v 42 with super glow system?

Ok due to unknown age of my glows i was thinking of replacing anyways. After trying to read the FAQ my brain is full which ones do i need for my canadian spec 24v 42 with super glow system?
I used NGK 2188 Y-197R for my 82 with superglow. I think I found them on ebay in the UK?

So im 90% sure its plugs. I cycled them about 5 times this morning and it started out great!)

After trying to read the FAQ my brain is full which ones do i need for my canadian spec 24v 42 with super glow system

Simple, pull them out and make a note of the part number. It should be 19850-68060
Numbers for other brands

Kitahara Glow Plug HKT PT-141

But I would still do the youtube test before spending money. Glow plugs for Toyotas are easy to find

Last edited:
20200304_135829.jpg

Got them swapped out.

Remeber to tighten that last nut that connects the bus bar lol. I cranked for 5mins and it wasnt going just a ton of smoke of unburnt fuel. Tightened it up then bam no issues starting just normal 3B shake after sitting for 2 weeks lol

20200304_204126.jpg

20200304_211733.jpg

Seems to be back to rough starting. Still cycle the plugs 3 times thne fires up better then before but still not as good as i feel it should start sitting in a warm garage. I let it run for about 30sec then backed it up a bit to work on a diff project then went back about 5 mins ltr to move it again and just cycled once the nstarted and it was pretty rough.

You most likely have the beginnings of a compression problem. The cold weather makes it worse because the engine can not compress the air to temperature it needs to fire properly.

How many klms has it done?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom