3B Head PO Removed Threaded Plug & Connected to Filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
The threaded plug on the alternator side of my 3B's cylinder head was removed and a filter setup installed. I'm trying to go back to stock. Can someone enlighten me as to why someone would desire such a setup? I'm assuming this would filter the coolant but why? The filter housing is bolted to the bottom of the air cleaner. Seems like overkill.

Only seems like overkill until you filter your coolant. It's a garbage dump in there with rust flakes and chunks of old silicone. Anything that has a liquid in our trucks should be filtered.

This filter looks like an oil filter. It's a screw on type. I agree, the need to catch the scale & such is helpful. I'll probably use a Gano coolant filter in place of this setup. Seems pricey for what they are:

Gano Auto Coolant Filter Company

A while back I made a screen much like that with some stainless bug screen I bought from the hardwear store that I cut and folded into a cone shape and slid it into the inlet of my radiator. I made it just long enough that it almost touched the back of the rad and curled around the port so it was trapped by the Hose. Cost like 5 bucks. I checked it daily as I was paranoid after my initial check after a couple hours running......so much stuff. Sand and rust and silicone and chunks of gasket and weird snotty stuff. It was a real eye opener. Eventually I got what was almost a small handful when I was done checking it all the time.

Ordered a plug for the cylinder head and received it yesterday. I'm removing this setup and going with an inline screen filter as suggested above.

IMG_4139.JPG

Replaced the pipe to the filter with the stock plug. It's the same part as the plug to the 3B thermostat housing.

IMG_4277.JPG

IMG_4278.JPG

PLUG
90345-54005

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom