3B Inline fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had success at adding an additional (second) inline fuel filter, prior to the injection system and factory canister filter? If so, what brand/kind? I'd like to add one that was clear, or had a view port, but had doubts about the pressures involved. I have a standard 3B and anything after the sedimenter and in the engine bay would be fantastic.

Why do you need to add an inline filter?

You have a water fuel separator, and a spin on filter.

A non-common rail engine has no need of additional filtration over and above the factory filter setup (and it's debatable as to commonbrail engines requiring it IMHO)

Is there a particular issue you're trying to solve?

I added one of the below prior to the lift pump on a 2H (same setup as 3B) - it happily sucks fuel through it. I've got 100,000+klms on it now.

I did this because I deleted the factory sedimenter and because I often fill up at very remote fuel stops who have above ground tanks and questionable quality diesel.

The visual sight bowl, replacement sedimenter/water trap, and extra protection it delivers is important to me. My factory spin on filter just before the Injection Pump is 10Micron and I run 30micron in this pre-filter. I carry two spare spin on filters and a spare filter for the unit shown below. I can bypass the pre-filter fairly easily if I need to. It does make bleeding from dry more difficult but thats never happened on a trip yet. When I did it at home I used a bit of low pressure compressed air into the tank to assist.

If you went a similar route I'd definitely delete the factory sedimenter in the process - they do rust out and the 10mm drain bolt provided rarely actually removes accumulate sediment in my experience.

1705435562742.png

Last edited:
I added a VW diesel inline filter, it had a lower drain and was dirt cheap.

I did d not have the OEM set-up as it was a 3b swap into a FJ62.

I have the exact same setup at @duncanrm. My sedimenter was junk. Put mine on the firewall in a lowish spot. No issues at all in 7 years.

yes, as above, my sedimenter was done, full of muddy sludge and couldnt get it to drain so i bought a Racor 10 micron with a clear bowl and drain plug and put it in the sedimenters place, works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom