3B diesel elevation limit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to owning my BJ60 and was hoping you guys could give some guidance on altitude. I'm wondering if I'll have enough power to make it up Tioga Pass in Yosemite NP or if I should plan on taking a different vehicle. Slow doesn't bother me, I'm just unfamiliar with the operation ceiling of the 3B/H55 and would really appreciate your expert opinions.

Tioga tops out at 9,943ft (3,031m) and grades reaching 8% from the steeper side of the highway.

Thanks
-Mack

My BJ has travelled well above 10,000 feet on multiple occasions. However, it is painfully slow and underpowered.

What gears were you in most of the time?

I had my B engined Land Rover at 3400m last holiday. Mine in a newer B engine with a rotary IP pump but no altitude or overfueling compensation on the IP. The power went down and she smoked black soot to the point where I thought I had broken something. But she recovered and all was good again by 2500M.

So, go for it, just be prepaired to go real slow and don't mind the smoke too much.
G

Gearing is more about the incline, and not the elevation. I've been on plenty of inclines on highways where I must go down to 2nd gear, billowing lots of black smoke. But on level roads, even at 10,000 feet, my 3B will run in 5th. FYI, I lived in Colorado mountains for decades and had a place at 8800 feet. The 3B was challenged there, but never had any real problems.

I think Coen and Karin-Marijke have taken their BJ45 up to 16,000 feet or better in their travels through South America.

Mines NA, so sorry no EGT's. I now have a HZJ76, also NA, but i am seriously considdering an EGT guage, long before the turbo. I thonk the results may be enlightning, if not a little scary.

Hello,

I have seen 3Bs doing mountain passes up to 4000 m / 13100 ft. Selecting the right gear and keeping momentum are key.

Remember that at high altitude, a naturally aspirated engine receives less oxygen and diesel combustion is incomplete. Therefore there is black smoke. Higher operating temperatures result from incomplete combustion. In a diesel engine, high temperature means extra wear.

Get the right gear, keep the momentum as long as you can and watch for the engine temperature. Slow and steady get you there.

Juan

I run a 1HZ and live at 7000’ ... work is at 8600’ and sometimes 10,300’ . Run ok at 7000, upper limit of running ok is at 8600, sputtering and smoke at 10,300.

Mines NA, so sorry no EGT's. I now have a HZJ76, also NA, but i am seriously considdering an EGT guage, long before the turbo. I thonk the results may be enlightning, if not a little scary.

Without a turbo you won't get EGT high at all. I couldn't get past 550C when I tried on a different diesel.

You're far better to buy an A/F gauge.

When I had my B at altitude it didn’t like it above 12,000’. Blew black smoke above 7,000’ and gradually added blue smoke as I got higher. Above 12,000 it had a weird noise at around 1,800 rpm that sounded like valve chatter like it was starving for oil. It would blow black/blue even on engine compression going down hill. We had a few 3Bs that did much better with little smoke and one that was worse than mine.

I went over the Veil Pass in Colorado with my 3B, turbo, hauling a tent trailer and loaded heavily. Slow, over heated lots and blew a lot of black smoke. I had to pull over a lot and let it idle to cool. Just don't shut it off. If it's a busy highway it gets bit precarious when transports have to go out and around you, at 8 mph, and there is a stream of vehicles doing 55 mph plus up the hill.

I would not want to do this often. Maybe without a trailer or lightly loaded you could match the speed of the transport trucks and sit over on the climbing lane.

There will be a point where they won't start. Air gets too thin to generate enough heat to ignite the fuel.

I would not volunteer to test that one.

Last time we went skiing I had a crazy hard time starting my truck at elevation in cold temps. It's such a Double whammy. Even after idling it for 10 minutes it still missed a bit and sputtered. I'd have a good set of batteries and double check your glow plugs. Would be crappy to have to adjust your timing just to get your truck started.

does the turbo help out a lot with the elevation changes?
Yes . But is also affected by elevation too but not as dramatically.

does the turbo help out a lot with the elevation changes?

Hey Brandon, their primary use is actually to look cool but yes they also help with loss of air pressure at elevation. Like a lot. I made this just after you left. When your done your swap give me a shout. g

image.jpeg

i figured it would have a massive benefit but not sure how much. i'm at a base elevation of about 3k feet and plan on doing a lot of mountain driving so it'll most likely be a necessity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom