37" military OZ tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If winter wouldn't have come to Oklahoma I would have recentered H1 wheels and 37's right now. Still waiting on different factors. From everything I have found on the internet you can air these down to around 20 without bead locks and lower with. There is much info about 16.5 rims if you google it. Some say don't run them but it seems to be misinformation about them and ignorance surrounding them. That and some people have tried to mount 16's on 16.5 rims. Doesn't even sound right to me, but...
Check pirate4x4 for more info and trailworthyfab.com has more info about recentered wheels and such.
Thanks also to walking eagle and lt1fire who have also already walked this path. They both know a lot about the military tires.
AR

From everything I have found on the internet you can air these down to around 20 without bead locks and lower with. There is much info about 16.5 rims if you google it. Some say don't run them but it seems to be misinformation about them and ignorance surrounding them.

The one thing I found is there are some 16.5" rims - stock Chevy's I think - that have the safety beads. I've also seen where people have welded on a ledge to create a safety bead. I don't understand why someone doesn't just make 16.5's w/ safety beads.

so what do you think about this tire/wheel combo and do you thinh you can fit 40"s under a slee 6" lift ??:hmm:

Which tire and wheel combo? Hummer rims w/ hummer 37's, it's a good combo for the price.

Fittin 40's is a completely different topic, and no, you can't. In fact you can't fit anything under a Slee 6" kit that you can't fit under a Slee 4" kit since they have the same bumpstops - lots of threads if you search on tire fitmet.

so what do you think about this tire/wheel combo and do you thinh you can fit 40"s under a slee 6" lift ??:hmm:

Yes it is possible but you need to mess around with a few things.

I had 39.5 super swampers under mine for a weekend that I borrowed.

I've been looking into going to 37" tires. The custom site seems like a really good deal when getting the tires and wheels from them.

I'm just not sure how to order the rims for our trucks. And what is the PVC insert used for?

At Trailworthy fab you can get the tire/wheel combo with welded on rock rings, sandblasted powdercoated with the pvc inserts for under 350 each. Sounds kinda steep until you think that its around the same price as a regular 37 tire alone. Then you have access to replacement tires for under $100 for pretty much life.

The pvc insert is used in replacement of the rubber or magnesium insert used by the military, which are the inner locking surfaces of the bead.

The pressed centers are 3.5" backspaced. Wonder how well this would work on the 80's?

16.5 bead locks

man this is a hard one to call . I wonder how this tire performs in rocks mud/snow??:bang: I am buying tires this week and don't know if I should get wheels/bead locks and tires or just get a nice tires with stock wheels.:confused:

Hay man my 93 80 series I just got about two mouths back and been trying to get it to the point I get out and wheel the **** out of it so first off I went out and got was all the armor like SLEE sliders SLEE back bumper ARB front pumper .And thanks to Chris a slee 6" lift.Sorry Chris I hope you get a better job then before.So anyhow I was out looking at my truck and I noticed that it is sitting on the rear bump stops and the front is about 1/2 away from the bump stop. so this kit I am getting is used. About how much lift do you guys think I will see ? and do you think it will sit level ?I AM GOING FOR 37s BUT WANT 40s what do ya all think?I'LL try to take pix along the way .O yah after whiling for a bit my high idle gos up and will not come down till after I shut it off for some time whats this all about? looks like 37" it will be

I've been running them this winter as I am cheap and I wanted 37's. I got 5 for like $400 from the local guy who sells them. They looked/measured like a new tire.

I thought CDan used to run these in a 35. I believe he bought some of the last new 35's available.

You guys make a good argument for making the initial investment into 16.5 wheels. I suppose it wouldn't be a deal breaker when you consider the almost infinite and incredibly cheap supply of 37's you will have at your disposal. :hmm: I might have to sell my 315 coopers and move to 37/16.5's in this June. Otherwise I'll be waiting another 4+ years until these wear out.

Pic of my 37

LandCusher80
Camp-Oct-2001-038.jpg

16.5 bead locks

The pvc insert is used in replacement of the rubber or magnesium insert used by the military, which are the inner locking surfaces of the bead.

The pressed centers and on that site they say you can run 0 psi with the rock rings and pvc inserts WITH NO PROBLEM:clap:

16.5 bead locks

o man I am about to pull the trigger on this set up but need to know about the back spacing on the new wheels .it sounds like he can make it just about any spacing i want.:steer:

If I go with with these I'm thinking a 4" backspacing. I put a 1/4" spacer on my stock wheels with 35s to help with the tire rubbing the frame in the rear. Going with a 4" backspacing would be adding a 1/2" which I think would be about right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom