300 Series Land Cruiser wish list *Toyota Please Read* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

First...these items are already DONE on my truck...so they are available...tho would be “nice” if ready options:
-additional USBs
-AC Power upgrades
-Rear hatch lighting
-More interior storage
-LED lighting
-Fuel tank
-Interior rear hatch release
-Blackout grill
-sliders
-Many more

*BRING BACK these past features...which tells me they are fully doable:

-Rear locker (1999 and before)
-pop-out or sliding rear windows(100 pop-out, 80 sliding)
-3rd row removal without tools (100 series)
-manual rear hatch interior release (100)
-Adustable driver armrest (100)
-Front seats with deeper bucket (100)
-Flatter cargo & interior panels (easier attachments)
-backlights on (!!) interior light buttons! ...the ONE button set passengers clearly NEED in the dark!
-NON-electricity-dependent Rear hatch release!!! (Dead battery? You are locked out of your rear hatch...COMPLETELY...which is insane.

More modder-friendly:
-Larger/easier firewall pass-throughs
-Smooth conduit channels in pillars and by firewall for wiring.
-Easier interior panel removal (quit putting dozens of needless screws that are only removable underneath after pulling massive panels)
-Additional fuse spots, or extra pre-wired rear fuse box....or at least pre-wire runs (or...conduit mentioned above)
-Clean up rear wheel wells (trim or smooth out weird protrusions, bolts, sheet-metal that threaten larger tires.
-Open up front wheel wells (only talking maybe an inch) so less nutty stuff is required for clearing articulating tires.

“Other” requests:
-Push rear panels outward to fill in wasted space behind them...or at least add a compartment (ie rear/passenger side pillar)
-Coolbox “basket” for easy packing/removal of ALL contents (similar to National Luna fridge baskets)
-Standardize & widen door-pockets (no more odd-ball super-narrow-to-wide transition in space.
-Take advantage of wasted arm-rest space (dump cigarette lighters and maybe create a full-arm-rest flip-up compartment)
-Roll-top cover for rear of vulnerable center console controls (feet/cargo easily breaks controls, buttons, etc)

And finally...STAILESS STEEL (or fully rust/weather-proofed) KDSS RELEASE SCREWS!

Last edited:
You think Toyota pays attention to the 200 section of IH8MUD for market research?

:lol:

Please line up another white line and tell me all about it.

Hehe... If course we know they don’t...
That’s why it’s a “wish” list. :hillbilly:

But I do know that a good number of fabricators get most of their business through forum word of mouth. At some point, Toyota does seek input...

Fully aware it’s akin to this:

Last edited:
You think Toyota pays attention to the 200 section of IH8MUD for market research?

Yeah, it's a little late for a wish list, for a 2020 or 2021 launch frame, vehicle development should be mostly done by now.

My prediction is turbo six and 10 speed, Carplay, revised styling. I wouldn't expect too much else. Toyota is a conservative company and doesn't generally want to be the first at anything. I don't expect any revolution with the 300 series, besides the new powertrain. Note the EV strategy per Jim Lentz:

Last edited:
Ya...
Knowing Toyota...they might already be looking into ideas for the 400 Series 12 years from now...

That loooong development cycle is partly why our head units suck—they were planned before the existence of the first iPhone, or tablets...or even many “dumb-phone” tech back then.

Basically I just wish that the back was long enough to sleep in without a platform. 73" of flat floor would be perfect. I can get it kitty-corner but not straight across.

I remove my second row for trips.. there is a TON of length when you do this. That 2/3 seat is heavy though.. best to have help.

The 80 guys report minimal, if any, MPG savings going part-time.

Edit: It's mostly done by them to reduce wear and, if you happen to bust a CV/Birf, you can get off the trail easier.

Those were my primary reasons too, but I did (unexpectedly) pick up 2mpg when I did part time on mine. My mileage was better than most because I didn’t run a rack and only had a moderate lift though. I think for the guys with stuff hanging off every side of their truck and six inches taller, the front drive line is such a small part of the equation that it has a lot less impact.

80 series designing and proto-typing and testing occurred in the mid-1980's for early 1990's release. The 1FZ-FE power plant was being used in forklifts as early as 1985 but wasn't released until 8/1992 in EFI form.

100 series designing and prototyping and testing occurred in the early 1990's for late 1990's release. The 2UZ is nothing more than a derivation of the 1UZ which was designed in the late 1980's and released with the LS400.

200 series designing and prototyping and testing occurred in the early-mid 2000's for late 2000's release.

We can assume the same for whatever series comes next will follow similar patterns. Land Cruisers gestate a lot longer than many of the other vehicles Toyota designs and releases. Only thing holding this sucker up IMO are worldwide regulations regarding emissions and product testing/design acceptance by the bean counters in Toyota-chi.

Yeah, it's a little late for a wish list, for a 2020 or 2021 launch frame, vehicle development should be mostly done by now.

Probably true if that time frame holds. But what if it doesn't. It wouldn't be unforeseeable for Toyota to leave the 2016 refresh in place for 6 or 7 years. Toyota has done nothing to the 4Runner for a decade and they are selling more now than ever.

I would venture that there is market research being done here by Toyota. They certainly know where their enthusiasts hang out. We may never know, as the next iteration of the Land Cruiser is unlikely to include a press release attributing key features of the vehicle to my list here.

Actually, I do. I think any savvy company pays attention to information available on-line about their products. And, they are likely to be discriminating about where they get that information, since so much of the Internet is junk. MUD is not junk, and I would be surprised if Toyota (at some level) were completely ignorant of the trends in information available here on current products. They would, of course, take into account lots of other sources too, but I would not completely discount MUD.

Actually, I do. I think any savvy company pays attention to information available on-line about their products. And, they are likely to be discriminating about where they get that information, since so much of the Internet is junk. MUD is not junk, and I would be surprised if Toyota (at some level) were completely ignorant of the trends in information available here on current products. They would, of course, take into account lots of other sources too, but I would not completely discount MUD.

15 minutes in here would kill too many brain cells for people at Toyota... and especially at Saatchi and Saatchi which has to--in the end-- sell these for Toyota.

They would come in here and say "typical car forum loonies.... where are the moms in yoga pants from Calabassas and Westchester County?"

I seem to remember an anecdote where some high level of engineer basically got mad and started yelling when asked why we don’t get a selectable locker. His stance was that atrac was more than good enough.

For the record, while I agree fuel economy sucks and I'd like a bigger (or reserve!) tank, I'd like to take the alternate position for a moment and point out that:
  • My stock 2000 4Runner with an anemic 183HP V6 got 15MPG City, 18MPG Hwy
  • My stock 2013 Land Cruiser with a 381HP V8 got 13MPG City, 18MPG Hwy
Granted I get worse MPG now, but I blame myself for that. And really if I actually drove the EPA city and highway cycle, and not the ridiculous uber-city and lead-foot highway driving I do, I would probably get 11-12MPG City and 15-16MPG Hwy.

I think Toyota and other manufacturers, particularly Jeep, definitely take pointers from forums. It's a brilliant way to get FREE market research, and you're getting right to the enthusiast core which is very hard to do (and expensive) in typical focus groups. Manufacturers would be crazy not to troll forums to see what's going on, and I'm confident Toyota cares about the 200 enthusiast market otherwise they wouldn't have sent a new 200 and Dave from Toyota to LCDC 2017. I also think the development of the 300 is likely in the very late stages, so design features have been decided long ago.

FWIW I highly doubt a Wrangler with solid axles and removable top and doors would exist in today's world if it was not for forums and enthusiasts who are among the most passionate around. Jeep absolutely listens to their customers who wheel their vehicles, and Toyota would be foolish if they did not.

For the record, while I agree fuel economy sucks and I'd like a bigger (or reserve!) tank, I'd like to take the alternate position for a moment and point out that:
  • My stock 2000 4Runner with an anemic 183HP V6 got 15MPG City, 18MPG Hwy
  • My stock 2013 Land Cruiser with a 381HP V8 got 13MPG City, 18MPG Hwy
Granted I get worse MPG now, but I blame myself for that. And really if I actually drove the EPA city and highway cycle, and not the ridiculous uber-city and lead-foot highway driving I do, I would probably get 11-12MPG City and 15-16MPG Hwy.

Stock MPG frankly isn’t that bad for this bulking truck. Heck...when I drove highway only...with two fat men, FULL cargo and camping equipment...and 285/70/17 KO2s on Rock Warrior wheels...I got 18.5 on long stretches of highway to Wisconsin.

That’s pretty dang good for a 6900 truck with at least 1000lb payload on larger-than-stock tires...and no speedo adjustment.

Last edited:
More legroom.
Keep the V8 and add fuel tank capacity.
More legroom.

Please Mr. T, open up the front wheel well and swing radius clearance.

Not just for clearance for small increases of tire size that our group constantly struggles to fit but for the ability of mining/logging fleet vehicles that need special purpose traction improvements for safety. A 33 inch tire should still have another 1 inch of clearance all around without having to modify the original design. Cosmetics should not interfere with the capabilities originally designed into vehicle.

Mine are:
  • Heated side mirrors
  • Sun shades for the rear passenger areas
  • Remove usb plug and add usb-c plugs through out.
  • USB-c plug integrated near the rear view mirror to connect go-pro or driving camera

Mine are:
  • Heated side mirrors

This is a trick - you just want to see if we're paying attention, right?:wacky:

I have heated side mirrors in my 2013 LC200, don't you have them in your 2017?

LC200HeatedMirrors_11FEB19_zps5ae0bks4.jpg

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom