3 speed shifter reinstall - gears not engaging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
I am trying to get the shift handle to align properly with the 3 speed transmission on my '70 40.

When looking at it - it appears I just line up the slots as in the first two photos, and then make sure the end of the shifter engages that slot. But, when doing so, I have only the two "gears" on the right side of the H that I can engage. On the left, the top H does not engage (reverse), and the bottom of the H (1st) does.

When the vehicle is running, it appears to be in Reverse no matter where I move the gear shift - even 2nd or 3rd are still reverse.

What am I doing wrong?

6C174124-143D-4E8E-9D3F-68A03870D975.jpeg

F7EAF715-356B-4FC8-8134-7E6BCF2183E5.jpeg

1D10CEF1-9960-4CB9-9BC1-846140B27732.jpeg

If you had it lined up as pictured, you cant get it wrong. No need to remove the shifter lever.

If you had it lined up as pictured, you cant get it wrong. No need to remove the shifter lever.
So wondering out loud then, what's going on? PO never mentioned any issues with tranny. He had the motor rebuilt by Toyota a few miles before he sold it so I assumed it drove fine.

Gears look in great shape, the wear parts look fine.... Tranny appears to be sound.

Am I just missing the slot when I reassemble?

Since I've never shifted the 3 speed properly before I don't know what it feels like when it is right. But I know this is very wrong. It "shifts"to 3 gears but they are all reverse.

In the first photo it seems like both the shifters are engaged? I think you have to put both shifters in neutral, then put on the top cover.

In the first photo it seems like both the shifters are engaged? I think you have to put both shifters in neutral, then put on the top cover.
Makes sense. Where is neutral though? That's the piece of info I'm missing .... where to align the shifters before reinstalling the knob.

I drove over just to put new eyes on it and I can't explain why but it's fixed.

We made sure both shifters where lined up and in neutral. Check.
Made sure the shifter was engaged correctly. Check.
Put two bolts in to hold it... Shifted 1st, 2nd, 3rd,.... R! Check.
Shift down into 1st again... Not able to shift into R. Crap.

Remember, this truck felt like it was shifting but was stuck in reverse.

Lid back off. I simply rotated the 1st/R gear around about half way (it wasn't stuck) and tried it again.

Presto! Shifts like a dream. It shifts like a new transmission too.

What in the world was it? Any guesses?

I tell you what it was - Rainey is the transmission whisperer!

Literally we did exactly what I had done about 10 times, except he spun the gear while it was in neutral. Just kinda flicked it a couple times. After that, it just worked. Oh well. Whatever, just glad it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom