3 speed help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am pulling my 3 speed to replace the clutch, rear main, and input shaft seal. When I was draining my fluids my tranny fluid was thicker and had a chunk of metal and sludge on the drain plug. So I opened up the top cover and saw a little damage and rust. I know there may be more problems. But now do I rebuild the tranny, convert to 4 speed, leave it because it drove and shifted good ( for what I expect a 41 y.o. tranny to work) any suggestions? I am a little stumped witch way to go.
image-2866442687.jpg
image-1090585840.jpg
image-4218339880.jpg

If it were me I would run it till it dies... When it comes to replacement I would buy a good used 3 speed... Most of the time people give them away or sell cheap... I have seen rebuilt for up to $700. Most the time you can get a low mile used for $50-$75... Hope this helps

Yeah, talked to the guys at classic cruisers in Salida, Colo and they agreed. Clean it, check all the gears, fill it and run it. That is pretty common to first gear with a couple of chunks missing. I dig the 3 speed, don't mind driving it as my DD. Wish I had the bucks for the h55f.

Make sure you flush it to get ALL the metal pieces/parts out. Clean it as best you can, wire brush and where the rust is bad. While you have the access I would check the transfer as well. Do a fluid change in both and button it back up, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom