Something tells transmission oil shouldn't look like this! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I picked a '75 fj40 that had been sitting outside for a while. I wondered why the transmission wouldn't shift into 1st or 2nd gears so I popped the top of the transmission off....

Look what I found in side... surprise!!!! I think this project is a bit more than I was planning for.
oil.jpg
transmission.jpg

yup ...

2x ... water.

Haven't you guys ever been in a pool? Water is slippery, run it.

Water?
No, it looks like tomato soup with some balsamic vinegar...
Tomato soup has a very high melting point, so I'm with amaurer... run it!

Could you add more oil or would there be too much corrosion going on in there from the sitting water that it would cause more damage and more money to fix? Maybe you are on to the next big thing. People convert to run on oil, maybe you can be the first organic cruiser out there. Good luck

I,ve had lots of off highway log trucks with their 18 speed fuller and 4 speed aux. look like that after sitting for a couple of years, they have a lot more bearings and we just changed the oil and ran them,With no probs.

That picture may be deceptive as water rises to the surface of oil. I suspect you drained mainly oil. My guess is that there is a band of flash rust and some pitting on some gears and the inner housing. I suspect the majority of the gears are ok. You could take the side cover off to inspect, but otherwise...if it is on a running rig, I would fill it with oil and run it. Change the oil again after a persuasive period like 250 miles.

HA! This is hilarious. Just popped the top plate off of mine for the re-conversion back to the 3 on the tree and noticed my "oil" had a nice pepto color going on. Thought I was alone. Although I might add that yours has a more tasty appearance. ;)

I have just always replaced the earl and kept pluggin along....never had anything blow out or break minus a few seals. For what its worth buddy.:cheers:

Transmission Sale

Do you want a transmission alone or transmission with the transfer case. I looked into the correct pricing $900 for both will be waayyyyyyy cheaper than the half restored. This transmission just needs fluid transfusion and lube, with the stick assembly. Other than that it is a plug and play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom