3 spd t-case can't shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a problem that's been bothering me for a while. 74 FJ55 stock 3 spd with warn hubs. I can shift from 2 hi to 4 hi but cannot shift into neutral or 4 lo no matter what amount of force I use. All the linkage seems to be in working order. Any ideas? Need more info? For the life of me I can't find anything in search.

Get under the truck, have someone else manipulate the transfer case shifter and see what is going on when things move around.

Howdy! Shifting from 2 hi to 4 hi only moves the linkage that is hooked up to the front output housing. Basically, it is just a long extended arm that is a solid part of the shift lever. For Low range, moving the shifter sideways SHOULD move the linkage lever that connects to the pivot arm that sticks up out of the top of the main case. If the shifter up in the cab moves sideways OK, but nothing happens, then the linkage is loose. If the shifter won't move sideways, then the linkage is mounted wrong, the links are frozen, or there is a problem inside the case. John

Disconnect the linkage from the case, and see if you can push the tab on the outside of the case to cycle between Hi & Lo. This should help you decide if it's the shift linkage or the internals of the case.

1. It is MUCH MORE common to have a problem between 2-4 than from H-L, which makes your situation unusual.

2. A 3 speed in a 74 is also uncommon. Most [but not all] 74s came with a 4 speed.

Which leads me to wondering if your vehicle may have been tampered with.

Remove the boot that covers your transfer case lever.
See if the lever is hitting the floorboards.
Look to see if the stamped steel shift gate is in place
Look to see if the shift gate has an L shape to accomodate both the 2-4 and H-L functions.
Report back on what position your lever sits in in the 'L' if you have an "L' shaped gate.

Best

Mark A.

Do the easy first . There is a plug on the top of the case that retains a spring and ball bearing. The ball's
purpose is to lock the shift rail into position. If the ball wears down too small ( not common, I've only seen it once ) it can fall deep enough into the shift rail detents that it won't roll out as the rail moves forward or back. The rail stays locked in one position.
Back the plug out and see if the shift rail moves

Do the easy first . There is a plug on the top of the case that retains a spring and ball bearing. The ball's
purpose is to lock the shift rail into position. If the ball wears down too small ( not common, I've only seen it once ) it can fall deep enough into the shift rail detents that it won't roll out as the rail moves forward or back. The rail stays locked in one position.
Back the plug out and see if the shift rail moves

A split case thought for a single-piece t-case. Won't work Dave.:frown:

The rig is definitely all stock. It's production date is one of the transition months. 9/73 It's got the 1.5f engine and the 3 spd changed in the next couple of months during production. Am I right on that?
I do have the L-shaped gate and the shifter def. has enough clearance to get into N and 4L. I'll get under there more and have someone work the linkage to see what else is going on.
1. It is MUCH MORE common to have a problem between 2-4 than from H-L, which makes your situation unusual.

2. A 3 speed in a 74 is also uncommon. Most [but not all] 74s came with a 4 speed.

Which leads me to wondering if your vehicle may have been tampered with.

Remove the boot that covers your transfer case lever.
See if the lever is hitting the floorboards.
Look to see if the stamped steel shift gate is in place
Look to see if the shift gate has an L shape to accomodate both the 2-4 and H-L functions.
Report back on what position your lever sits in in the 'L' if you have an "L' shaped gate.

Best

Mark A.

Here's a diagram I borrowed from SOR's site. It shows the shift linkage of the 4/75 and earlier transfer case which is different than most transfer linkage of cruisers out there. The arm that shifts between hi and lo is out to the side of the transfer case instead of towards the front. The rod that shifts it runs to the front and then pivits at the 2H to 4H shifter over to the floor shifter. I would unhook the rod right at the transfer case then check to see if the shifter will move. This is easier to do than shifter the transfer case by hand from below. That is unless the FJ55 inspection cover allows you to remove it easilly to do it from above, never owned a FJ55. The FJ40 tranny doesn't come out that easy. It could be the arm is rusted to the shaft that screws in to the 2H to 4H shifter if not that then probably in the transfer case.
trnasfer case.gif

same thing happend to me, i found shaft#10 was siezed to pivot #5. lots of penetrating oil and gentle tapping freed it up,cleaned it up,lubed now works great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom