3 Link, Currie Rear Axle, Rear Coilovers and Long Travel IFS FJC Build (and more) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Let me know if you figure out the airbag resistance. I've searched but have not figured it out.

As far as the resistances go I was mainly refering to the inputs for the airbags on the driver side which determine whether one or two squibs deploy. This is dependent with the drivers seat location. Aftermarket seat with non oem sliders removes this sensor.

You should never run a resistance test on ANY airbag related component. It could easily damage it or set the air bags off. To run the resistance you have to send a small amount of current through and that's all it takes. There are no specs on it bc you can't test it. Any airbag related components have to be replaced if anything goes wrong with them including wire harnesses. Can't repair those either. Toyota (and I'm sure other manufacturers) take safety systems VERY seriously.

As for the thresholds changing I'm pretty sure that's a negative.

And just on a side note I've been with Toyota for a relatively long time and I can tell you that you have to absolutely CREAM a Toyota to get the airbags to go off. There are sensors on the frame rails, yaw rate, side impact sensors, etc. They will go off if it's a bad enough collision but they don't want them to just go off while you're in a parking lot and hit a speed bump (cough... Ford.)

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in with my personal thoughts on the matter.

P.S. Awesome build btw. Can't wait to see some pics of that beast on the trails.

As noted above I am not determining the resistances on any airbags. I'm determining the resistance of the seat setup which directly determines whether one or two airbag squibs deploy based on seat location.

With an aftermarket seat base/rails you lose the OEM hall effect sensor which tells the ecu a reference driver position. All the ecu sees is the input from the sensor which I'll be replicating based on the aftermarket seat position relative to the OEM.

Thanks for the input and information on the airbags.

Exhaust back from coating

Polydyn%2520exhaust.jpg

Ready for some testing at jambo this weekend.

IMG_0182.jpg

Suspension exceeded my expectations. Was a blast in the go fast stuff and actually performed much better in the rock garden than I expected it to. Cycled freely and had a lot more traction in there than I was anticipating out of an IFS setup.

Drooping.jpg

:lol: if I had any more decent pictures to post I would have tossed it up. Turned out my passenger was way too comfortable in the seats and rarely got out for pictures. That coupled with my ineptness at using the gopro cameras and killing one made for limited shots and a whole lot of useless video that I've got to go through and edit. Don't think I got any of the rock garden on video, but I might have some of the high speed stuff on there.

Rest of the pictures which I've found that others took or I took before/after the trip.

GOPR0037.JPG

Drooping.jpg

bumpitty bump bump

Bump%2520stops.jpg

7108211875_c9eff2abf0_b.jpg

Binder...probably have a few videos of this trail from the prior day.

Binder1.jpg

Binder2.jpg

Binder3.jpg

Reworking the fiberglass or some mudflaps would make cleaning up a lot easier in the future.

GIlmer%2520after.JPG

A few of the folks I ran with on Friday I believe took some go fast video and a couple photos in the rock garden. Have to grab them at some point.​

Once things slow down a bit, I'll toss up the video and provide more comprehensive feedback on the setup. Really did surpass what I was expecting for a shakedown run tho and only some minor adjustments need to be made moving forward.

Sorry I missed seeing you at the Jamboree Brian, this is the first one I've not made in many years. Truck looks fun though!

Can't believe how stuffed the front is in that pic. That's incredible.

Setup works really well, even untuned. I anticipated having some issues with certain parts, but everything really exceeded my expectations over the weekend.

X 3, equally impressed with that shot, very impressive indeed...:beer:

I was surprised at how well the front cycled in the rock garden more than anything. Worked really well all around, small changes here and there will be needed to dial it in, but there is only one big project left up front to finish it off.

Sorry I missed seeing you at the Jamboree Brian, this is the first one I've not made in many years. Truck looks fun though!

Lee, looked around for you, but didn't see the 40 or FJC around. Didn't miss a whole lot compared to the usual Jambo...although the sun and warm weather decided to make an appearance on saturday :clap:. Hopefully we can catch up some time later this year.

We'll see once there is actually some weight on the rear end. Lots of little stuff still to do and it will probably be another few months before everything is dialed in.

Got it aligned today to get the camber and toe in spec. Left caster as far forward as possible to mitigate the firewall and mt/r's from getting too friendly. Overall driving and control is much improved.

Also got to play with the shops new tool and made a new mount for the auxilary gas tank (origianly mount was cracked and also in the way of the exhuast). Get Dave to weld it up when he has a chance and thats one more thing off the list.

Also, something I haven't talked a lot about was the frame flex we saw at gilmer, but something that we've been discussing on how to best address. There was quite a bit to the point that the control arms and tire were going considerablly higher than we set bump at. Most folks in the past have done an engine cage to mitigate this, but for those with the supercharger and other misc crap in the engine bay its not always as user friendly. As such we'll be going with an alternative such as plating to stiffen the frame which isn't quite as obtrusive as an engine cage would be.

Its something could be offered as a production item for the FJC down the line.

Thoughts or comments? Tossing out the idea to eliminate some of the stagnant heat which builds up with the supercharger (and potentially look cool if done right :p). Bit hard to picture without the louvers actually integrated into the fiberglass hood. I'll try to get some shots with a regular camera as well...was checking to see if I could bring the gopro I killed at Jambo back to life, it worked! Disregard the blinking 240 as well ;)

GOPR0061.JPG

GOPR0062.JPG

GOPR0070.JPG

GOPR0064.JPG

GOPR0067.JPG

GOPR0069.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom