3 Link, Currie Rear Axle, Rear Coilovers and Long Travel IFS FJC Build (and more) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For your reading pleasure (if you don't visit some of the other forums)​

Vehicle originally had ICON coilovers in the front and their shocks/coils in the rear. Lefty and a whole bunch of other goodies to boot.​

Out goes the old axle
Axle%201.jpg

Axle%202.jpg

In goes the Total Chaos 2" Long Travel setup.
DSC_0460.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG

DSC_0470.JPG

DSC_0472.JPG

Rear Axle
DSC_0461.JPG
[/IMG]​

Misc Parts all over the place
DSC_0468.JPG
[/IMG]​

More of the front and rear comming together.
P1010630.JPG

P1010631.JPG

P1010633.JPG

Old link to frame mounts gone.

P1010635.JPG

P1010636.JPG

P1010637.JPG

P1010638.JPG

Trying to keep the link mounts from being too low while still targeting the #s on the calculator

P1010640.JPG

P1010639.JPG

For reference here is how low they normally hang on an OEM/normal currie 4 link setup.

4490466236_15625721b6.jpg

P1010646.JPG

Bridge turned out to be really nice. Tried to get better pictures, but the camera died

P1010645.JPG

P1010649.JPG

Lower link position when upper link contact crossmember.

P1010647.JPG

Upper link tack'd on frame.

P1010651.JPG

Track bar looks like it will need to be bent a bit.

P1010648.JPG

Ride height

IMG_0539.jpg

New frame mounts

P1010653.JPG

Link clearance at frame at full uptravel

P1010661.JPG

Some stuff just gets in the way

P1010663.JPG

Wheel position @ full uptravel (I think...can't remember when I took the photo).

P1010664.JPG

Coils & Jounce Shocks in place

P1010656.JPG

So close to being finished, and then things changed. I didn't like the fact that I wasn't getting the travel #s advertised on the front. UCA uniball would have to go through the fender (and LCA uniball through the rotor) to get those numbers.

P1010672.JPG

P1010673.JPG

P1010671.JPG

The advertised rear numbers weren't accurate either once taking a closer look at the spring. Definitely weren't getting as much use out of a 14" shock as I had hoped. So we are starting to tinker around with some other options. Since the axle is 4" wider than normal it freed up a bit of space at full uptravel.

P1010665.JPG

Still a bit tight though at full articulation. Although I think some spacers should take care of that. But if I'm going to be 3.25" wide or more on each side in the rear, I'm going to have a bit of headache with law enforcement in Houston....already were checking how far out my wheels were with respect to the fenders the one time I got pulled over.

So fiberglass is in order. If I'm doing that in the rear I might as well toss them on in the front. And if the are on in the front I might as well shoot for a wider front setup to match the track width...plus I could go with another kit which actually is supposed to meet their advertised numbers. :D

I snapped a few pictures of the front locker/gears going in.

P1010687.JPG

P1010688.JPG

P1010689.JPG

Basically we'll be notching the the frame and possibly coming up through the wheel wells if needed with a tower to run a 14" coilover with reservoir.

Rear interior and storage system removed in case the fender wells need to be modified a bit.

P1010677.JPG

Thats where things currently stand. Here's a photoshop of what it might look like in the end, but with the rear track width matching the front (no roll cage for the near term either),few other plans before going that route.

retouch5.jpg

That's impressive - seems the cage would have some value, especially if you've already removed the interior (but I guess that's minor when your changing the axles, fenders etc)

If I went the cage route (may do further down the line) the FJ would pretty much become a trail rig or get it setup for tx baja series (whole lot of other changes to be made).

Right now my aim is to keep it as an expedition vehicle with more capabilities in the rocks & at high speeds than it had before. Adding the cage and ditching the storage system would require me to probably buy another vehicle to transport our 3 dogs around in (our Mustang and the 951 won't suffice for traveling the dogs).

If I was ditching the storage system and doing a cage, I'd also reduce the weight considerably and do a 4Link instead of 3link suspension and run a fuel cell in the back. Then there'd be a whole lot of fun custom work on the front end.

nice nice .. catch my eye that you are going to run the coilovers in the front instead of back of the axle .. ( and fender ) can I ask your your spring rate selected at this point ?

P.S. your Porsche ( turbo version of the 944 ) should have some rear dog seats ;)

Could have ran the coilovers off the back, there is plenty of room on either side of the axle. Decided to put them on the front, in the event that I end up running triple bypass shocks (those would go on the rear).

I'll have to get back to you on the spring rates...tried to match something close to the metal tech progressive spring rates, but I can't remember the exact number off the top of my head (for some reason I want to say 250lb). Tender spring doesn't really do much on top of that.

In regards to the Porsche, the only way I could get a 100lb lab & 85lb shepherd in is through the hatch. Fixed back Recaro seats prevent anything from accessing the back seat ;) (well maybe a very small dog would fit).

Interior.jpg

Thanks .. extremely nice project .. !

P.S. nice seats ... I was about to replace the stock ones on my 951 right before I start destroying main axles .. ( engine to tranny ) to much powa .. :frown: ( and 295/35 - 17 )

Spring rate is basically 170lbs - 300lb & 400lb spring with tender spring. MT's was a 180lb spring.

P1010725.JPG

P1010726.JPG

P1010727.JPG

P1010728.JPG

P1010729.JPG

15" of total wheel travel.

BrianFJ033.jpg

BrianFJ030.jpg

BrianFJ029.jpg

New front came in. Camburg setup is much nicer than the Total Chaos all around. Definitely no regrets going with Camburgs over TC's 3.5"kit. Right now it looks like we are getting about 13.375" of wheel travel. Have to figure out how we can eek out a bit more cause the shock still has travel left. Flipping the LCA spacer will buy a bit of travel. Uptravel could be gained by chopping the fender well and reframing. Waiting for a call back from Camburg.

For comparison purposes - upper uniball on both kits.

BrianFJ039.jpg

BrianFJ028.jpg

BrianFJ027.jpg

BrianFJ032.jpg

BrianFJ036.jpg

BrianFJ034.jpg

BrianFJ025.jpg

BrianFJ031.jpg

BrianFJ026.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom