3.5 Ecoboost swap...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The ford 3.5 ecoboost is an amazing engine. 365hp, 420tq, 6 main bearings, runs on 87octain, can easily put out 450hp, longevity is established, and cost for a good unit is about 1000$ more than the heavier, naturally aspirated LS. I'd love to have one of these in my FJ62. I live at 8500 feet and the well worn 3fe maybe makes 90hp up here w/240k on the clock.

Considering doing this in the next 18-24 months or so, starting to gather educational parts and $$.

Motor/6r80 trans can be had for as little as $4,000.

Consider using split case or the f150 transfercase?

Custom driveshafts, cross member, motor mounts, exhaust.

All the things associated with an LS swap (fuel pump, computer location, o2 sensors, wiring, more sensors, instruments,).

A/C not important but would be handy.

OME lift w/shackles and 255/85/16 tires.

Possibly body lift for clearance of transmission and oil pan?

ANY THOUGHTS?!? Thanks mud

I’ve pondered that too because it seemed like a nice size and power output. I think the key is finding a suitable donor truck so you can minimize cost vs buying a crate engine and having to make adapters etc. I know nothing of the reliability of trucks equipped with the 3.5.

I've seen full swap kits in the 6k range, including the pedal, computer, wiring, sensors and accessories. I would be a little worried about getting the correct sensors/wiring arranged/damaging something in removal. I'm not "versed" in engine swaps, but I have done two in my lifetime. Nothing nearly as complicated as a twin turbo...:)

The motor has been out since 2009 and has been a good motor from all reports. Ford has put this block in the new ford GT and and appears to be pretty stout.

My parents just visited and had an Expedition Max rental. That fat brick got up and moved with the ecoboost. I actually mentioned to my dad it would be great to swap into the 60. Anyway, I think you are blazing new territory with that motor in a 60. Personally, I would either want the diesel clatter or V8 rumble if I ditched the 2F. Good Luck!!

@Morgan Evans, quick ? at what rpm does it reach those #s you stated? they're fairly substantial but if you've got to twist it into the stratosphere to get them i'd not like it for wheelin'/ trail runnin'. or is your 60 strictly for sunday afternoon icecream runs? kudos to you for exploring unusual motivation though 👍
oh, one other thing, f150 i believe is driver side drop on the t-case n our 60's are passenger drop.
just some fodder for thinkin'

Last edited:
I think for the money you’ll spend on a first time swap you’ll get a much more useable truck with a Cummins R2.8 swap. It’s got the turbo to overcome the altitude and its got a better torque curve.

I’m all for trying something new but if simplicity, ease of conversion, and usability is your goal I’d stick with the tried and true.

Last edited:
I’m all for cool swaps but being a pioneer putting it in a land cruiser will put you in well over $6k territory.
Life is short, this would be cool as hell when done.

Debbie downer in me says plenty of other swaps you could do to get good power, reliability and cool factor with way less pioneering and figuring things out.

Chevy v8
Cummins 2.8
Built 2f with sniper EFI

I wouldn't be afraid of it. A swap is a swap. It's a great platform, and a truck version would lend well to what we want out of a cruiser. And the satisfaction of being a pioneer is priceless! It's easy enough to put any engine in any vehicle, but I'd imagine adapting to the driveline would be the biggest hurdle.

The pioneer aspect is the most appealing part honestly. I wouldn't mind having the only one around ;). The only thing the FJ60/62 ever needed was more power, and these trucks are at the point now where a quality vehicle with a late model motor swap will bring $25k-$35k from the right buyer. Not trying to sell my baby, but the human in me appreciates investing money not just spending. I have looked briefly into the Cummins 2.8 but would rather go with the higher power LS motor if anything. My cruiser is 90% highway/DD and it is tiring having to crawl everywhere.

Height should be attainable with a mild body lift (if needed) and a 4" suspension lift. It is a rear sump engine just like the 3FE.

Width should be fine. "The F150's 3.5L Ecoboost engine is just 28-1/2" wide across the turbos, and just 22" wide across the cylinder heads".

Discard the A/C compressor and use the mount for a power steering unit.

I plan to keep this post updated with findings and welcome anyone who wants to dig into details. My friend has a 2018 F-150 that I will be taking some measurements on in the next month or so and will update.

Ecoboost.jpg

Last edited:
I've thought about this for about a year and a half.
My transit 250 is down on hp vs the f150 but torque is at 400lb ft. There is plenty of torque under 2000 rpm. Quick spooling turbos and pulls hard to 6000 rpm. I could be wrong but 90% torque is there by 1500 rpm.
Fyi, hughes has come up with an EcoBoost 3.5 a gm automatic trans. Then adapt your t-case to that. Its about $1,000 and includes starter. I have a 60 and want to keep it manual but for 62 this would be cool. There is also a factory ford performance plug and play ecu and harness for repower but not considered carb certified so it's for off road use.

Last edited:
I've thought about this for about a year and a half.
My transit 250 is down on hp vs the f150 but torque is at 400lb ft. There is plenty of torque under 2000 rpm. Quick spooling turbos and pulls hard to 6000 rpm. I could be wrong but 90% torque is there by 1500 rpm.
Fyi, hughes has come up with an EcoBoost 3.5 a gm automatic trans. Then adapt your t-case to that. Its about $1,000 and includes starter. I have a 60 and want to keep it manual but for 62 this would be cool. There is also a factory ford performance plug and play ecu and harness for repower but not considered carb certified so it's for off road use.

Fantastic for the adapter news thank you! That is what I'm looking for in here. From what I've read, it will develop peak torque all the way from 1700-5500 rpm. the 3.5 is more powerful, lighter and smaller than a 6.0 LS. Also, no emissions in my neck of the woods.

Take a look at what year engines to use. Here's a tip. Also look at the ford transit vans. Oil filter location is diffrent and the steering also. Cant remember off the top of my head but I believe the f-150 have electric steering. The transits still use the previous gen unlike the f-series trucks that are on gen 2.

Take a look at what year engines to use. Here's a tip. Also look at the ford transit vans. Oil filter location is diffrent and the steering also. Cant remember off the top of my head but I believe the f-150 have electric steering. The transits still use the previous gen unlike the f-series trucks that are on gen 2.
They do have electric steering, I think the A/C compressor could be removed and a power steering pump put in. Good call on transit vans. Mustang motors will bolt up to the 4x4 transmission as well.

The transits already have this. I contacted numerous bellhousing mfg about and ecoboost adapter. So far the t56 manual trans is the only one available but they might be making more. This engine will catch on.

I've driven some EcoBoost vehicles. They are pretty quick. If your not keeping emissions no matter the swapped motor, it will kill the value of the swapped vehicle. Their are a fair amount of issues if I recall with EcoBoost motors. The timing chain is not very robust and can stretch causing the engine to run out of time. Internal turbo waste gates can seize stuck open. Being direct injection it can also have carbon buildup on the back of the valves causing misfires. I've also see a head gasket leak externally at fairly low miles, think it had 60k miles. Just some issues to be aware of before u pull the trigger.

Last edited:
A quick and dirty cost gathering puts it @ $10,000 - $15,000. Not cheap for a DIY swap, but a shop will charge 15k-25k for an LS swap.

3.5L Ecoboost ..... $1000 - $7500 I've seen "swap kits" on ebay for $4000 - $6000 ncluding pedal, turbo's (thats two!), wiring, computers etc. might be worth a phone call to some places if the trigger ever gets pulled. Could be something like...buy and f150, drive it a couple year, when it's paid off, rip her heart out.
Transmission options 4l60e, 4l65 or 4l80.....$1,500
Hughes Adapter (engine to trans)....$900
Rebuilt drive shafts...$600
Exhaust ......$1,000
A BILLION other little things.....$3,500

Cost is high, but not ridiculous if doing the work at home. Finding a decent hot rod shop to lean on would be a major bonus.

ok sounds cool make it happen.

I had a 2011 F150 with the 3.5L eco boost. Total POS. I don't think they tested it up any mountain passes or headwinds in Wyoming. Dog on hills and not anywhere close to the gas mileage they touted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom