3.5 Ecoboost swap...thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Surprised to hear that. They have made a few changes to the newer models, but my friend has a 2018 that hauls like a bat out of hell. It pushes you in the back of your seat.

I hear people complain about stuck Wastegate, carbon build up etc. You have to get on it. Sure, if you drive it out of boost of course that can happen. I don't baby my 3.5 and for all those stories with damage there are many more stories of people with over 200,000 miles.

I went from a 1999 Chevy C3500 dually with the Vortec 7.4L 454 engine w/4.11 gears to a 2014 F150 2wd 3.5L Ecoboost w/3.55 gears. The day I bought the F150, I pulled the exact same trailer back to back with both the C3500 dually and the F150. The trailer was an all steel 20' open car hauler with a 77 FJ40 strapped on it. It weighed a tad over 7K lbs. While both trucks would maintain 70mph up hills, the ecoboost had much better acceleration from a stop and passing acceleration at hwy speeds.

After I bought the Ford, I had it tuned on a chassis dyno and it made 395hp/478tq at the rear tires. It runs circles around my old 7.4L dually with a trailer and gets 19-21 mpg everyday. I will say mpg pulling a trailer is only slightly better than the dually...around 11.5mpg pulling 7500lbs at Hwy speeds.

I think an ecoboost in a FJ60 would be awesome. It would be a rocket. I feel like the 6 speed and 10 speed automatics that come behind the ecoboost engines really let them shine, I'm not sure how they would perform adapted to a GM 4speed automatic so that may be a limiting factor.

Its a lot of work to do a LS swap. To pioneer a new swap will be a monumental amount of work. You have to be realistic with your resources be it knowledge, money, and time. I would take your cruiser to Proffitts or some other reputable cruiser shop and have them do a emissions compliant LS swap. Pay them the money, turn the key, and enjoy the power. Yes it will be expensive, but if you did the project yourself, halfway in the price to pay a shop will seem like no bid deal. Other power plants may be fancier in some way or another. A LS is extremely easy to work on if something breaks, and parts are cheap. You can try and swap in a eco boost, but what will happen most likely is you will get the motor mounted in the fj60, get overwhelmed with the details to make it run, sell the project for pennies on the dollar of what you have spent, and buy a used 4runner. People's eyes can be bigger than their stomachs when it comes to projects. Although they don't like to be told that usually. If you get bored with a LS, throw a supercharger on top with 12 psi of boost. You will blow the doors off a eco boost.

Last edited:
I do understand the thought process with an LS and might end up going that route in the end. The LS is appealing in so many ways, tried and true. I think it's a known quantity that an EB swap would be difficult, time consuming and costly. I am willing for this process to take a significant amount of time and commence in over a year. Acquiring info, parts and finding a helpful hand will be time well spent. EB swaps are becoming more popular, just poking into the forum weeds for some insight. At this stage it's more about the wants than the needs, and I'm that shallow ahole who wants the tastefully modified one-off cruiser at the swap meet. :bang:

You can do it!

Absolutely do it. Do it for the kids. Do it for Jesus. But definitely do it for MUD.

I think that has some unreal potential...loved that motor in my old F150. Pulled a 18' stock trailer full of ewes and lambs over a long pass like it wasn't even there.

Absolutely do it. Do it for the kids. Do it for Jesus. But definitely do it for MUD.

I think that has some unreal potential...loved that motor in my old F150. Pulled a 18' stock trailer full of ewes and lambs over a long pass like it wasn't even there.
"Do it for MUD" That should be on a T-shirt!

You should definitely not use the “investment” excuse to justify this. The fact is if there were two completely identical FJ60’s for sale side by side - one of them having a nicely rebuilt 2F and the other having a DIY ecoboost swap, the 2F will bring a much better price and way more buyers. I remember seeing a guy in here with a sweet built 60 with a Ford coyote 5.0 in it. He was selling for way less than it cost him, and it took FOREVER to sell (in fact, I’m not totally sure it ever did sell).

I’m not saying don’t do it. In fact, I’d like to see it. But you gotta go into it knowing it’s a bad investment. You will definitely lose money. Your mindset should be this - do it because it’s fun. And because you can.

I'm not totally going to fold on the investment comment ;). A properly swapped quality Cruiser with no rust and an EB engine would be in good company at $25k. Yes, fully restored "original" 60's will bring 25-40 thousand, but my Cruiser is well beyond that point...and with 240k on the clock it will never be a low mileage show queen. To get my rig "pleasantly drive-able" at these altitudes would require a gear change, a new/rebuilt engine and probably an H55 swap $$$. I have no plans of selling it, but I will slowly stop driving it the way it lumbers along currently.

This might turn into an LS swap when the time comes, but not going to drop serious coin to keep it original and slow as molasses.

I'd like to see this done but we're going to need lots of pictures if you decide on the EB. Even with my far from stock build I've had several inquiries about selling it. It sounds like you'll be doing a change to something with more power regardless so when you planning on starting your swap?

495499d7a46c3325fe08a7333bb8e54d.jpeg

Less talk more swap

SO....I was hoping for more "info" on a swap than suggestions on other options. I have my other option, it's an LS with a 4l65 or 4l80 to stock toyota split case, done/tried/true.

Getting info about the Hughes Adapter (3.5 EB to GM transmission) was what I'm looking for. I think having the 6r80 would be far superior, it's an extremely tough transmission and is designed for the EB. Going to a GM 4 speed might ruin the benefits of the swap, but would elimnate the transfercase issue. I've spent hours digging through other EB swaps and have narrowed things down to really one single insurmountable hurdle. The transfer case (as mentioned in this discussion) is a passenger side drop on our vehicles, while on all Fords it is a drivers side drop. This hurdle is somewhat big. The 6r80 has a 31 spline output 6 bolt pattern and no-one makes an adapter :(.

First option, I found some people saying you can swap the internals from a Ford NP205 (drivers drop) into a Chevy NP205 (passenger drop). Retaining the 31 spline input and 6 bolt pattern, I do believe it would bolt up to the 6r80. Second option, literally clock a ford NP205 to the other side and drill/tap new drain/fill/vent holes. The NP205 uses a lube bath (sounds fun?) not a pump, so lubrication shouldn't be an issue. Adjusting shift linkages would be doable but a PITA. Third option would be to find a machine shop capable of either converting the 6r80 output shaft to 19 spline or visa versa with the Toyota case.

Anyone else know how to remedy this problem?

find a machine shop capable of either converting the 6r80 output shaft to 19 spline or visa versa with the Toyota case.

This, even better have the 19 spline Toyota input gear broached to 31 spline.

I had the same question for this swap: FJ60 Ecoboost swap? Is it possible?

It is a great swap. The 3.5 GTDi Ecoboost has plenty of power and torque. and, my oh my, it sounds great with a straight pipe. Turbos spool up, it sounds amazing. But, I feel like it is hard but not impossible. I was waiting for this to justify doing it my self. Please continue with this swap. If so, i may do it myself.

Anyone run a divorced case in a 60/62? @cruisermatt you run a doubled 203, is it possible to double a 205/203 and get the output on the passenger side?

This t-case side drop problem must be universal for any Ford transmission swap into a 60 series? @bigboiimigel IMO the 3.5 Ecoboost is the most exciting engine on the "swap" market right now and the stock 6R80 can handle 600ftlbs. I want this if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom